A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
no_akira
Prole

JXD S7300 hand held gaming device

Post by no_akira »

This looks the bee knees !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/S7300-Gamepad2- ... =JXD+S7300

http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=627&s ... sid=009006

Would be interesting to get Love running especially with HDMI out. Lot of device for not alot of money.
retrotails
Party member

Re: JXD S7300 hand held gaming device

Post by retrotails »

I was just looking at those. I hear the touch software for the analog sticks is iffy but they have custom ROMs that are better. (Jailbreaking? Rooting? ROMs? Kernels? OSes? So many terms its like the English language itself.)
I certainly want one, but my S3 and Gameklip are good, I rarely update my technology.
I must ask, what's the meaning behind your name?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

If it can install Android apps from .apk-files, it can run LÖVE. I doubt the control sticks and buttons will be usable though.
no_akira
Prole

Post by no_akira »

How do retrotails, from the UK, I hope your having better weather than us. Our needle has got stuck in a perpetual winter. Most bogus. Perhaps its the start of a new ice age for us.
There is a scene in "Akira" a manga film where Tetsuo shouts "NO kaneda!" when Kaneda is first about to go critical mass. no_kaneda doesn't sound as snappy so "no_akira". It sort of means "oh crap everythings really gone to pooh now" a bit like SNAFU your American term. Actually I was watching Band of Brothers when I thought it up.
SolarLune
Prole

Post by SolarLune »

Hah, I happened to be getting one of these. I'd like to make games for a handheld, and it seems a bit easier to make games for Android now over a few years ago. I didn't want to make any games for Android originally because there weren't any Android gaming-focused devices, but things seem to be turning around.

So, I was wondering if the buttons and joystick really wouldn't be usable? Wouldn't they be reported by Android as a joystick?

EDIT: Or would it be an issue with the Android port of Love?
Check out my game development progress on Twitter.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

SolarLune wrote:Hah, I happened to be getting one of these. I'd like to make games for a handheld, and it seems a bit easier to make games for Android now over a few years ago. I didn't want to make any games for Android originally because there weren't any Android gaming-focused devices, but things seem to be turning around.

So, I was wondering if the buttons and joystick really wouldn't be usable? Wouldn't they be reported by Android as a joystick?

EDIT: Or would it be an issue with the Android port of Love?
It comes with software that maps all buttons and sticks to touch input like the Sixaxis controller app.
SolarLune
Prole

Post by SolarLune »

Yeah, that is useful, but I'd hope for native joystick input capabilities, if possible. That way, you could have Android titles without having anything on the screen (of course, you could make screen controls and allow the opacity to be tweaked).
Last edited by SolarLune on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my game development progress on Twitter.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

As far as I know, Löve doesn't connect with Android's standard gamepad format. It would be a cool feature, but I think the number of Android users with a compatible gamepad is quite small.
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

(Sorry the post is a bit old, but...)

Android devices with physical controls are increasing in number : Think of the Archos Gamepad, OUYA, or GameStick (and I'm forgetting all those Yinlips, JXD, and others...). Oh, and what about nvidia's Shield ?

Supporting physical gamepad (I believe this is standard since ICS 4.0) would clearly be a good Idea.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.