love-java-android/love-native-android: project information

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Chartre
Prole

Re: love-android: project information

Post by Chartre »

It's good we're able to get LOVE on more devices.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Jasoco wrote: OH, by the way. You should look into implementing DropBox support so we can keep projects there and edit them from our computer and not have to keep switching between USB Disk mode and Phone mode or swapping SD cards.
Well, any network support and ability to save downloaded files on sdcard would work. I use bluetooth to download *.love packages from my PC. You could also use some www/ftp server if you have access to any.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

DropBox support would make it virtually instantaneous. Bluetooth has never worked for anything I use. And OS X Lion has a horrible bug where if I accidentally disconnect my phone's USB connection before ejecting the drive from the Finder, the Finder locks up and refuses to launch from then on until I reboot. Stupid bug. I would much rather keep my project in my DropBox, edit it from there, have DB upload it then pick up my untethered phone, open Löve and have it refresh the file list immediately allowing me to play/test right away.

Would be awesome really. Especially with DB becoming more widely used with mobile apps.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Well, it's not all that big of a deal, since it's possible to mainly develop the game on a computer and only run it on Android for final testing, more or less. Also, there's the standard Android emulator and the SDKs ability to launch apps straight to a phone. Once love-android is done to the point where every game is it's own app, the latter will be the optimal way of testing.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Jasoco wrote:DropBox support would make it virtually instantaneous. Bluetooth has never worked for anything I use. And OS X Lion has a horrible bug where if I accidentally disconnect my phone's USB connection before ejecting the drive from the Finder, the Finder locks up and refuses to launch from then on until I reboot. Stupid bug. I would much rather keep my project in my DropBox, edit it from there, have DB upload it then pick up my untethered phone, open Löve and have it refresh the file list immediately allowing me to play/test right away.

Would be awesome really. Especially with DB becoming more widely used with mobile apps.
So the only difference between this and what's currently implemented is that you have to move the file from /dropbox to /love. ?
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

kraftman wrote:So the only difference between this and what's currently implemented is that you have to move the file from /dropbox to /love. ?
Yes, but since Android is based upon Linux, it should be possible to symlink from the /sdcard/dropbox folder to the /sdcard/love one, so one does not have to move the files.. Can't be much trouble achiveing that ;)
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Is there any way to easily test this on a Kindle Fire?
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Man, the thought of creating an ENTIRE game using solely the device is awesome.

Would be great if you're at work and just want to test some code, or make a little demo of something using a android-based code editor, android-based graphics editor, and LOVE.
@rynesaur
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I found an app called GScript Lite, that lets you put Linux shell scripts on your home screen. I made one that copies the .love file from Dropbox to the love directory on my phone with a single click. Really handy.

Also, DroidEdit is a text editor that has Lua syntax highlighting, and seems to work pretty well. The only drawback I can see is that it seems to fail to open .lua files directly from the Dropbox app. Opening them with a file browser from the Dropbox folder totally works though. No biggie for me.

So basically, I program like this: I use gedit on my computer for coding, and I've set it up to pack all my files to a .love file in Dropbox with a keypress. Then, I simply pick up my phone, enter the Dropbox app to make sure it's downloaded the .love, then copy the .love with the script, and then boot up LoveAndroid. The entire process takes a couple of seconds. Pretty good, I'd say.

Also, I want to make something clear, Dropbox on Android DOES NOT save files to /scdcard/Dropbox like it used to. They're in /sdcard/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scratch/. Just so that everybody knows.
o0k4m1
Prole

Post by o0k4m1 »

Hello,
can you tell me, will this port work on MIPS based tablet device? Thank you for the answer.