Exporting as an .apk

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Bicentric
Prole

Exporting as an .apk

Post by Bicentric »

Hello everyone!

I have been using LOVE for a few months now, and I think it's just perfect!

I would like to start developing simple Android applications and games with it, however I am not sure if you're able to save the final product as an .apk file, much like how you're able to save them as a .exe file on Windows machines.

If you are able to do this can you please tell me how to do so, or link me to a page which tells you what to do. And if you're unable to do this, will the feature be added in future releases?

Thanks,
- Bicentric
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Exporting as an .apk

Post by T-Bone »

Indeed you can, but I don't think you want to. love-native-android isn't nearly stable and lacks several important features, like full love.filesystem support, so it's not really fit to make standalone Android games at this point.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Slime have been talking about better android(and iOS) support but you might need to wait a few years.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Well... I've heard that SDL2.0 has support for iOS and Android, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If it does, then yes, if someone puts enough time in, you could expect a port of LÖVE on Android at least(I hope).

That being said, I don't know about iOS. Aren't Apple very strict about anything Non-Obj. C? I know there are some ways to get other apps in(LibGDX, ImpactJS, MacRuby, etc), but AFAIK they all compile into Obj. C code. I believe SDL works because it's C, and you can write C from Obj. C(I know Obj. C, but I don't like it). I don't know the in's and out's of it though, mainly because I don't plan on publishing to the App Store(unless LÖVE goes to iOS, then I'll reconsider).
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:Well... I've heard that SDL2.0 has support for iOS and Android, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If it does, then yes, if someone puts enough time in, you could expect a port of LÖVE on Android at least(I hope).

That being said, I don't know about iOS. Aren't Apple very strict about anything Non-Obj. C? I know there are some ways to get other apps in(LibGDX, ImpactJS, MacRuby, etc), but AFAIK they all compile into Obj. C code. I believe SDL works because it's C, and you can write C from Obj. C(I know Obj. C, but I don't like it). I don't know the in's and out's of it though, mainly because I don't plan on publishing to the App Store(unless LÖVE goes to iOS, then I'll reconsider).
who needs apple any way, they dont even pay their taxes here in Europe.
Bicentric
Prole

Post by Bicentric »

Thank you for the replies guys!
jjmafiae wrote:Slime have been talking about better android(and iOS) support but you might need to wait a few years.
Yeah, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear xD Since I wanted to sell apps for doing something in two years :P