State of the attempt to natively port love to android

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Moe
Party member

Re: State of the attempt to natively port love to android

Post by Moe »

Fortunately, Android's file format (.apk) is a simple zip-Container. So as soon as we build plenty of libs (all packed into this apk), the licensing stuff is sorted out. But I have to disappoint you, we agreed not to sell the engine, but to put it for free into the market :P Technically (I think that I did not see a license that would prohibit this), we could take money, but that would not be fair to the "normal" engine developers...
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

But I think it should be possible like a general love-windows distribution to create a game binary for android and upload it to the market.
As far as I see it will be like the general win/mac/linux löve distribution.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Moe wrote:Fortunately, Android's file format (.apk) is a simple zip-Container. So as soon as we build plenty of libs (all packed into this apk), the licensing stuff is sorted out. But I have to disappoint you, we agreed not to sell the engine, but to put it for free into the market :P Technically (I think that I did not see a license that would prohibit this), we could take money, but that would not be fair to the "normal" engine developers...
I don't understand what you mean by "But I have to disappoint you, we agreed not to sell the engine, but to put it for free into the market", if you are referring to me. What I want to do is to make a (standalone) game with love-android and sell it on the Market. Will that be possible?
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

Ah, sorry, I think I got you wrong. I thought we should sell the pure engine. :D

Selling games will be possible, but I think that you will need to download the source code, hard code the connection to your game (should be possible in Java) and publish it. You might want to solve the file size limits of the Android market, depending on your game data size.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Moe wrote:Ah, sorry, I think I got you wrong. I thought we should sell the pure engine. :D

Selling games will be possible, but I think that you will need to download the source code, hard code the connection to your game (should be possible in Java) and publish it. You might want to solve the file size limits of the Android market, depending on your game data size.
Yes, that sounds excellent :neko:
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

So, I just looked at this, and I thought this was really cool! I was hoping to put my game on the android phone too!(I know I'd have to make some changes with the code though) I haven't tried it out yet. But is it possible to use the touchscreen?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

baconhawka7x wrote:So, I just looked at this, and I thought this was really cool! I was hoping to put my game on the android phone too!(I know I'd have to make some changes with the code though) I haven't tried it out yet. But is it possible to use the touchscreen?
Of course it is. I'm not sure what has changed in the new, native, version, but in the "old" luaj version, it works. Not only can you use the standard love.mouse for simple clicks on the touch screen, but there is also an (unfinished?) implementation of multitouch.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

T-Bone wrote:
baconhawka7x wrote:So, I just looked at this, and I thought this was really cool! I was hoping to put my game on the android phone too!(I know I'd have to make some changes with the code though) I haven't tried it out yet. But is it possible to use the touchscreen?
Of course it is. I'm not sure what has changed in the new, native, version, but in the "old" luaj version, it works. Not only can you use the standard love.mouse for simple clicks on the touch screen, but there is also an (unfinished?) implementation of multitouch.
:DD This is amazing.
This port could open up so many possibilites for love2d!
Good job!:)
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

baconhawka7x wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
:DD This is amazing.
This port could open up so many possibilites for love2d!
Good job!:)
Indeed. For me, love-android is the only reason I'm developing my semi-serious project in LÖVE.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I hope his port get official soon. I also hope for an iPhone & iPad port.