love-native-android: request a feature

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Locked
User avatar
T-Bone
Inner party member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

love-native-android: request a feature

Post by T-Bone » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Different games have different needs. By making it clear what features we need early, the development of love-native-android can be focused on what people care about.

My personal list of features I'd love to see goes something like this:

1. An easy way to make stand-alone games. This one's obvious and has already been discussed quite a while, but is a make-or-break feature for me. I can work aroung bugs and missing features, but this is something I absolutely need for my game.
2. Multitouch. This one is also obvious, and I'm sure it's coming in the love.phone api. Perhaps it is already implemented? If so, how does it work? I think the java version made some progress here but I'm not sure how far they got. For my game, all I really need is to get two coordinates (x1,y1,x2,y2) as arguments for a function which is called whenever fingers touch the screen.
3. Force orientation. My game needs to run in landscape mode at all times, regardless of phone settings. I think this is a feature that many other games will need as well. This is not really something that must be added explicitly, as long as we're talking stand-alone applications, this can easily be fixed with an extra line in AndroidManifest. But since some people here seem to want to use love-native-android for more than stand-alone games, this becomes kind of important for them.
4. Ads in the game. Not sure if this is possible but it would be awesome. I intend to release both a demo version and a full version of my game on Google Play. If I could make a little money by putting an ad in the game's menus, that would be great. This of quite low priority for me though. But I think that by supporting this, love-native-android can attract a lot of game developers both to itself and the Android platform as a whole.

I will add more as I realize I need them. Some of these features are already planned, some may be considered low-priority for now. Still, these are the features I need for my game.

What features does your game need? Post them here! :neko:
Last edited by T-Bone on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Ellohir
Party member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by Ellohir » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 pm


Bethwhite
Prole
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by Bethwhite » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:16 pm

great link
Beth

User avatar
alberto_lara
Party member
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by alberto_lara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Link down :( I was looking specifically if it's possible to put some ad on my games (?)
LÖVE Projects: GOOi, Süsse and Katsudö
Thank you for taking the time to read this

User avatar
Ranguna259
Party member
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:58 pm
Location: I'm right next to you

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by Ranguna259 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 am

1+ for adds
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.

User avatar
alberto_lara
Party member
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by alberto_lara » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Great! :) any kind of ads like if it were made in Java?
LÖVE Projects: GOOi, Süsse and Katsudö
Thank you for taking the time to read this

User avatar
Positive07
Party member
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by Positive07 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:24 am

Since T-Bone suggested many features I will answer his post (it is really old but anyway)
T-Bone wrote: 1. An easy way to make stand-alone games. This one's obvious and has already been discussed quite a while, but is a make-or-break feature for me. I can work aroung bugs and missing features, but this is something I absolutely need for my game.
1. It is not that hard once you have set your environment
T-Bone wrote: 2. Multitouch. This one is also obvious, and I'm sure it's coming in the love.phone api. Perhaps it is already implemented? If so, how does it work? I think the java version made some progress here but I'm not sure how far they got. For my game, all I really need is to get two coordinates (x1,y1,x2,y2) as arguments for a function which is called whenever fingers touch the screen.
2. Done (and also now it supports gestures)
T-Bone wrote: 3. Force orientation. My game needs to run in landscape mode at all times, regardless of phone settings. I think this is a feature that many other games will need as well. This is not really something that must be added explicitly, as long as we're talking stand-alone applications, this can easily be fixed with an extra line in AndroidManifest. But since some people here seem to want to use love-native-android for more than stand-alone games, this becomes kind of important for them.
3. Use the AndroidManifest or just [wiki]love.graphics.rotate[/wiki] and [wiki]love.graphics.translate[/wiki] (This doesn't modify the keyboard thought, since the keyboard is defined at installation time by the manifest)
T-Bone wrote: 4. Ads in the game. Not sure if this is possible but it would be awesome. I intend to release both a demo version and a full version of my game on Google Play. If I could make a little money by putting an ad in the game's menus, that would be great. This of quite low priority for me though. But I think that by supporting this, love-native-android can attract a lot of game developers both to itself and the Android platform as a whole.
4. Done by someone else
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(Github.com/Positive07)

User avatar
undef
Party member
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by undef » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:17 am

I would like to have vibration.
While it's annoying in some cases, it might be nice as a haptic feedback sometimes.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2863
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by slime » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:55 am

You should post feature requests in the love-android issue tracker (or the regular LÖVE issue tracker, if the feature request would also be useful on Windows/Mac/Linux.)
Positive07 wrote: 3. Use the AndroidManifest or just [wiki]love.graphics.rotate[/wiki] and [wiki]love.graphics.translate[/wiki] (This doesn't modify the keyboard thought, since the keyboard is defined at installation time by the manifest)
The graphics transformations also won't affect input (mouse, touch) coordinates on their own.

The iOS port adds a new setting for t.window in love.conf and the flags table in love.window.setMode: an optional orientations table to let you choose which orientations to support in your code, e.g.:

Code: Select all

function love.conf(t)
    -- If you create this table, the values default to false so you don't need to specify every one.
    t.window.orientations = {
        landscapeleft = true,
        landscaperight = true,
        portrait = false,
        portraitupsidedown = false,
    }
end
I don't believe it's possible to add the same functionality to the Android port though, unfortunately.

User avatar
Positive07
Party member
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: love-native-android: request a feature

Post by Positive07 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:06 am

Nice! So if you are in one of those orientations it automatically changes? Does it calls resize when doing so?
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(Github.com/Positive07)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 102 guests