OUYA

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: OUYA

Post by T-Bone »

qaisjp wrote:Sorry for the bump, but Love for OUYA is quite an interesting thing. About Minecraft, iirc Minecraft is built in Java - which makes it a suitable port.

The best part is that everybody has the same or a similar OUYA - this makes developing LOVE or anything else on OUYA easy because you don't have to support the wide range of PC's..

Also iirc they said that rooting is possible without voiding warranty, so that also opens opportunities for LOVE.
Both LÖVE and Minecraft already run natively on Android, without rooting.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

It opens more opportunities for LOVE, like being able to execute commands and use the io.* functions
Lua is not an acronym.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

qaisjp wrote:It opens more opportunities for LOVE, like being able to execute commands and use the io.* functions
We won't add features that break Android's security system. Do things right or don't do them.
Requiring root access is nothing we want to have, we have io access as far as needed to develop games and we work on those things that are missing/broken.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

T-Bone wrote: Both LÖVE and Minecraft already run natively on Android, without rooting.
Ironically... https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/122350670648066049
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

rails wrote:
T-Bone wrote: Both LÖVE and Minecraft already run natively on Android, without rooting.
Ironically... https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/122350670648066049
And so is LÖVE :) That's why I said "natively", Java programs run in a virtual machine.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I guess the irony's supposed to come from the fact that Minecraft was originally written in Java, and Android as a platform has such a strong focus on Java (or Dalvik, whatever).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:I guess the irony's supposed to come from the fact that Minecraft was originally written in Java, and Android as a platform has such a strong focus on Java (or Dalvik, whatever).
Well they needed to be able to easily port to iOS too.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Just the fact that Minecraft's written in Java is funny. Minecraft is seriously poorly optimized (of the people I play with, only my monster computer can play it on maximum settings), I've always wondered how much of that is because of Java and how much is simply because it's poorly written or something.
clofresh
Citizen

Post by clofresh »

Has anyone played around with löve on ouya now that they've shipped?
----------------------------------------
Sluicer Games
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

clofresh wrote:Has anyone played around with löve on ouya now that they've shipped?
I don't have an Ouya, but I'd assume it works more or less like it does on phones. And don't expect support for the controllers other than touch.

I've looked at a few videos of people running various Android apps on the Ouya and they all seem to look and work just like they do on phones.