OUYA

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
josefnpat
Inner party member

OUYA

Post by josefnpat »

I'm sure quite a few of you have seen the new OUYA Console on Kickstarter, but I am sure some have not.

I can see that this console is actually going to sport some hefty specifications;
Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0
In the FAQ, there is a talking about publishing for the OUYA. It's rather vauge, so on behalf of the Love for Android part of the community, I have started a conversation with the developers, devs@ouya.tv.
Hello OUYA devs!

I am an indie developer that works primarily with the LÖVE framework (https://love2d.org/).

The community has provided an android port, and I was wondering if there is a way to get an idea of some technical specs:

* What screen resolutions are going to be available
* What screen resolution will be default?
* Will the upper screen resolution be 1920 × 1080 (1080p)?
* How will the controls for the controller be mapped?
* Is there further technical documentation so we can properly develop a devkit to work with LÖVE?

I am not an android developer, but perhaps the LÖVE community will have better questions for you beyond the few ones I have here. It would be really nice if you could check out the thread I've started over there when you get a chance!

I look forward to your response, and will be mirroring this conversation on the forums, here:

[redacted]

-Seppi
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Re: OUYA

Post by coffee »

I heard of this before but I didn't know that almost everything now was being fund-raising in kickstart.

Project machine seems to be great. Porting LOVE to there too. Funny is that the console is nothing much than an Android tablet without LCD but with gamepad instead. Their slogan turns to be is a bit irrelevant "OUYA: The Revolution Will Be Televised" since almost any new device capable of run games (tablets, notebook, pc) can now be interfaced/screened with a LCD TV but I understand their concept and to what they want to appeal.

Envolving Minecraft, Canabalt and other Indie hype games was marketing wise.

I hope this could also turn too a good media player. Only bad thing is that when it reaches streets hardware will be a bit outdated. USB should be 3.
Elena5
Prole

Post by Elena5 »

I totally agree with you coffee.

Moreover, at least for me, it's not an "open" console since android "forces" us to use java. Of course there is the android NDK but it's rather annoying to use. An OS like Angstrom Linux, or something else would have been much more accurate for an open console. But maybe I am wrong. Maybe they will give a proper SDK.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

There are other alternatives than Java and NDK. I think renderscript looks really cool for games.

Anyway, using LÖVE for the new console is really awesome. This is totally great for LÖVE as a whole.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

T-Bone wrote:There are other alternatives than Java and NDK. I think renderscript looks really cool for games.

Anyway, using LÖVE for the new console is really awesome. This is totally great for LÖVE as a whole.
Let's see T-Bone. I have some thoughts that game distribution could be thigh controlled by them. I'm not sure how permissive will be homebrew scene or if anything that is out of their cloud distro system is allowed (Like being possible run executable things from usb/disk).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

When I saw the OUYA thing for the first time, I had the same feeling T-Bone has.
coffee wrote:I have some thoughts that game distribution could be thigh controlled by them.
If they speak the truth on their kickstarter, that's the opposite of what they want, so I think we're good.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Robin wrote:When I saw the OUYA thing for the first time, I had the same feeling T-Bone has.
coffee wrote:I have some thoughts that game distribution could be thigh controlled by them.
If they speak the truth on their kickstarter, that's the opposite of what they want, so I think we're good.
I hope you right Robin. But till the rules came out and machine is released I still have my doubts. That's because they won't do much profit selling cheap consoles and fundraiser it's only to cover dev expenses. But they want for sure make some big bucks in game distribution in their store that will end turn a mix of app/steam store with Metro look.

And they only will be able to defend themselves of cydias and illegal installs controlling well their business model and limiting hardware I/O for preventing illegal copies of their premium game associates. Easy to develop? No doubts. Easy to distribute? Also no doubts (if obeying their rules). Homebrew scene? Well that I have doubts how be truly handled and how much they have afraid that ruins their business.

My suspicions that maybe not all be so wonderful or good began here.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4136 ... thin-hours?
The console will be fully open to developers to use, whilst it will also require apps on the store to use some form of free play.
But well, it's only my suspicions. When all seems too good...
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

coffee wrote: My suspicions that maybe not all be so wonderful or good began here.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4136 ... thin-hours?
The console will be fully open to developers to use, whilst it will also require apps on the store to use some form of free play.
They're saying that if you want to be in their store there has to be a way to play your game for free, be it a demo, be it a free-to-play model.

Also, one of the things they mention on their website is that rooting the device is easy, and won't void warranty.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I have no problem selling my LÖVE games in their own game store. I see no real difference between that and selling it on Google Play for example. What's really important is getting the games out to the people.

From a technical standpoint, I can't imagine that they'd put restrictions so strong that LÖVE games can't run. Love-native-android doesn't do anything weird.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I wonder if each game has to bring in their own copy of LÖVE on the OUYA, or they can just pull in LÖVE as a dependency. Actually, I still don't know which is the case for LÖVE-Android.
Help us help you: attach a .love.