OUYA

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: OUYA

Post by T-Bone »

It's probably much easier if all games include a working version of LÖVE themselves. If you wantto make a game, you probably want to modify LÖVE somewhat to better fit your needs. I dont know if Android actually has support for dependencies like that, and if it does, I am sceptical that it would work well. Especially since Love-native-android isn't finished. Things might change, and you want to distribute something that you know works. All game engines that I know of follow this model on Android.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, I just watched the video for this. I like the idea. (Still waiting for Apple to do the same thing with the AppleTV which also costs $99.)
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I hope love-android (nativ) and webplayer (webgl) become official löve one day.

Don't understand me wrong, win,macosx and linux are great. But the target audience uses mobiles and webbrowsers. I think fat-clients are today only for AAA products.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

SiENcE wrote:I hope love-android (nativ) and webplayer (webgl) become official löve one day.

Don't understand me wrong, win,macosx and linux are great. But the target audience uses mobiles and webbrowsers. I think fat-clients are today only for AAA products.
But very soon thin-clients will be massively used for AAA products too. Even Sony is moving or seems receptive to that when bought Gaikai. Less future hardware dependable Playstation consoles? Longer console lifetime/focus in game selling-revenue? Also more cheap consoles.

I have also the feeling that OUYA could be trying also make some deal with a cloud game virtualization provider as future plan. Because makes sense.
IndieMedia
Prole

Post by IndieMedia »

I withdrew my funding when a reply to me asking could I see a full image of the controler was basicly fobed off. As far as I can tell.... they dont actuly have a "working" prototype... Sure the video shows some gui thing.... but half of the games on that gui WILL NOT be ported for it...

Until I see some proof they are doing somthing my money is staying in my wallet.

Love would be brillant if it worked on OUYA but only if OUYA makes it off the shelf and developers think... hey lets make an android game for a controller not a touch screen
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

IndieMedia wrote:I withdrew my funding when a reply to me asking could I see a full image of the controler was basicly fobed off. As far as I can tell.... they dont actuly have a "working" prototype... Sure the video shows some gui thing.... but half of the games on that gui WILL NOT be ported for it...

Until I see some proof they are doing somthing my money is staying in my wallet.

Love would be brillant if it worked on OUYA but only if OUYA makes it off the shelf and developers think... hey lets make an android game for a controller not a touch screen
What do you mean "ported to it"? It runs Android, those games (most of them if not all) already run on Android so there's no need for porting. I doubt it will support Google Play, but the same apk files that are already built will still work. If the games are designed with only touch controls, then they will simply use the touch screen on the pad. And if the developers of OUYA have the tiniest fragment of intelligence they will make the gamepad controller compatible with the Xperia Play controller API (some third party Android game controllers already do this) which a lot of serious games already support.

This is going to be awesome. It's still early in development. The controller may not have reached its final design yet, so what? They needed money for development (consoles don't build themselves), and they haven't seen a single dollar yet (there's still 22 days before the Kickstarter campaign ends).
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

OUYA: Android Game Console’s Secrets Raise Questions
http://mashable.com/2012/07/21/ouya-android-console/
+
Ouya console gets first exclusive game
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4148 ... usive-game
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

The more I read about OUYA, the more worried I become. There's no mention of the Xperia Play API anywhere - if they leave this essential feature out, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. The console might still survive, but it would have been so much better if it already had a reasonably strong line-up of games even before launch (which it totally would if it supported the Xperia Play API, as I've mentioned before tons of games on Google Play support it's gamepad).
mattcoles
Prole

Post by mattcoles »

I've invested in a OUYA dev kit for a new project as this whole indie-console take is quite interesting
Will start trying to get it integrated with the current version of LÖVE-Android when the dev kit arrives in december
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Sorry for the bump, but Love for OUYA is quite an interesting thing. About Minecraft, iirc Minecraft is built in Java - which makes it a suitable port.

The best part is that everybody has the same or a similar OUYA - this makes developing LOVE or anything else on OUYA easy because you don't have to support the wide range of PC's..

Also iirc they said that rooting is possible without voiding warranty, so that also opens opportunities for LOVE.
Lua is not an acronym.