LÖVELINESS a LÖVE Chrome Extension

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: LÖVELINESS a LÖVE Chrome Extension

Post by T-Bone »

binji wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Would it be possible to make stand alone Chrome executables for Löve games based on Löveliness?
Yes! In fact, I was thinking of writing up a document in the wiki about how to do this...

Even better would be to automatically create a Chrome Web Store package from a .love file, then let the user tweak it. Maybe I'll take a look at writing up a script like that... :)
That would not only be amazing, but it would make LÖVE as a whole a more flexible and modern game framework.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

T-Bone wrote:Wouldn't it work to just show a black screen with perhaps a restart button when you call love.event.quit()?

Another, probably better but perhaps more complicated solution, would be that when you make your website and add your game, you must also provide a link. When the game quits, it directs you to wherever that link leads. So if you have for example a homepage and the game page, it can direct you back to the homepage afterwards.
hehe love.conf["nacl-return"] would be a nice one, but what if embedded sites don't want this. this means that the love game could repeatedly bash a site up by redirecting once its loaded.
Lua is not an acronym.
binji
Prole

Post by binji »

qaisjp wrote:hehe love.conf["nacl-return"] would be a nice one, but what if embedded sites don't want this. this means that the love game could repeatedly bash a site up by redirecting once its loaded.
Probably won't do anything like that...

But I _did_ learn of a nice workaround to the problem I described before. :)

Now, I have full control of the "auto-generated" page -- so I can add anything I want there, author information, links, etc. The version I just pushed (0.1.8) will just use this to limit the size of the plugin to the size the .love file requests (and draw a back border around it).

Any thoughts on what to put on the page? :D

...Also! I added a new link to the popup menu to allow loading files from your hard drive. Click "nyu", choose "load file", and drop your file onto the page.

I may start working on that bundler now that my wife is out of town. Lots of time to hack. :)
[[LÖVE Chrome Extension]]
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

An API that can be run to output html code.
:d
Lua is not an acronym.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anyone to add unofficial table elements to love.conf. It's not a designated place for extension.

As for what to show on the preloader page... Maybe get the author's name from love.conf? In addition to the other things (link to file source, etc.).

Make some HTML mockups and share 'em! You'll get some good feedback that way.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

binji wrote:
qaisjp wrote:hehe love.conf["nacl-return"] would be a nice one, but what if embedded sites don't want this. this means that the love game could repeatedly bash a site up by redirecting once its loaded.
Probably won't do anything like that...

But I _did_ learn of a nice workaround to the problem I described before. :)

Now, I have full control of the "auto-generated" page -- so I can add anything I want there, author information, links, etc. The version I just pushed (0.1.8) will just use this to limit the size of the plugin to the size the .love file requests (and draw a back border around it).

Any thoughts on what to put on the page? :D

...Also! I added a new link to the popup menu to allow loading files from your hard drive. Click "nyu", choose "load file", and drop your file onto the page.

I may start working on that bundler now that my wife is out of town. Lots of time to hack. :)
I think that drawing anything other than a black border by default is a really bad idea. It's really clean this way.

If you, on the other hand, make a standalone game and put it in the Chrome web store, then it would be great to be able to make the page look any way you want (maybe some custom background, links, ads etc).
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

T-Bone wrote:I think that drawing anything other than a black border by default is a really bad idea.
Agreed. I thought we were talking about a pre-loader page. The page during gameplay should definitely stay a plain black border, or fullscreen to the window size if the game calls for it.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood. A pre-loading page could perhaps contain a text "loading...", just to show that it's working and hasn't froze. Depending on where the game is and how large it is, it can take several seconds to start up.
bzSteve
Prole

Post by bzSteve »

binji, this is an awesome project and I'm finding it to be very useful. Thank you.

I'm not sure what your priority list is for additional features. My two cents: it would really help me to have luasocket-type functions. Any way, keep up the great work!
binji
Prole

Post by binji »

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that LÖVELINESS v0.2.0 is now available on the Chrome Web Store!

Some features:
* persistent storage! (i.e. writing files/directories via love.filesystem.* works now)
* loading links via the context menu: right-click on a link, and choose "Open with LÖVELINESS"
* better handling of the quit message: you can click "back" or "reload"

Some older features you may not have noticed:
* loading screen (so it doesn't look like it crashed)
* fixed some crashes (so it doesn't act like it crashed ... :-)
* drag and drop file loading files from your hard drive: click the little green guy, and choose "load file", then drop the .love file on the page
* a simple test to see if LÖVELINESS should be working: click the little green guy, and choose "test"

Enjoy!
bzSteve wrote:it would really help me to have luasocket-type functions
Socket functions aren't supported in Native Client currently, though they'll likely be available for Chrome 29. I should be able to support socket.http, though. (there are some limitations w.r.t. same origin constraints, I'll explain later if I actually implement it)

BTW, I'm still working on making a LÖVELINESS bundler, so you can take your .love files and turn them into Chrome Web Store apps. I'm working on making a web page that'll do it, I think it'll be the nicest interface.
[[LÖVE Chrome Extension]]
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page