Raspberry Pi

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
Doctory
Party member

Raspberry Pi

Post by Doctory »

Is there gonna be a port to raspberry pi?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by slime »

The GLES branch of LÖVE 0.9.x already works with the Raspberry Pi I believe, as long as you have the latest version of SDL2 compiled with the correct backend and the correct dependencies.
Enno
Prole

Post by Enno »

I too would like to run LÖVE on my RPi, and I have compiled it against the libsdl2-dev libraries in raspbian, but they seem to demand that I run X11. I would like to run my games in fullscreen on the console, though - do I need to rebuild SDL2 for that? Has anyone done this, and maybe written up a HOWTO?
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

Enno wrote:I too would like to run LÖVE on my RPi, and I have compiled it against the libsdl2-dev libraries in raspbian, but they seem to demand that I run X11. I would like to run my games in fullscreen on the console, though - do I need to rebuild SDL2 for that? Has anyone done this, and maybe written up a HOWTO?
Ummmmm. As far as I know anything that wants to display more than just simple text must have x11 or wayland, etc... Love2D definatly needs it as it is an essential dependency... Do you know what x11 is?

If you even hope to get love2D running you will need to have an x server running. You can use a minimalistic window manager if that is what is important to you but, again, as far as I know, it is impossible for a 3D/2D game to render to a terminal. Why do you think no one plays 2D/3D games across ssh that are not text based?

On a side note you can start an application as the only program running in x giving the illusion that it is rendering to a terminal (but it isn't).
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
Enno
Prole

Post by Enno »

I~=Spam wrote:Ummmmm. As far as I know anything that wants to display more than just simple text must have x11 or wayland, etc... Love2D definatly needs it as it is an essential dependency... Do you know what x11 is?
Yes I do, although your reply makes me think that you do not. But as an excercise: If it was true that you needed X11 to put more than text on the screen, how do you think X11 was written?

The Raspberry Pi has a relatively powerful GPU (for it's price, that is), and it is possible to use the VideoCore APIs (what you find in /opt/vc on a raspbian install) to drive that directly, and get a full-screen OpenGL context that way. There was at minimum an SDL 1.2 implementation that used these as a backend: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25146 but LÖVE uses SDL2, and the libsdl2-dev in the standard distro doesn't seem to use this backend - therefore my question.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

SDL2 does have an official VideoCore backend for Raspberry Pi now, since version 2.0.1. You might need to explicitly enable it when building SDL, or explicitly disable the X11 backend – I don't know much about the process of getting it working.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

FWIW, the trAInsported server runs Löve on a rasperry Pi, although without graphics (love.graphics = nil in conf.lua).
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Kivutar
Prole

Post by Kivutar »

Hello, on Raspberry Pi, if you don't want to have X11, you can use DRM/KMS. Love does not support this context yet. But I made a software rendered subset of love called lutro, and it runs on Raspberry Pi in DRM/KMS through RetroArch.

Also, a guy named leiradel started a real port of LÖVE to libretro, and this will be able to run full games in DRM/KMS. But it's not ready yet.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If you just build a a GLES build of love (so either the GLES branch of 0.9.2 or any recent development version of 0.10.0), with an SDL2 with the rpi driver enabled, you don't need X11 anyway, and you get the benefit of actually running love.
XxHAMADEHxX
Prole

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

I know this thread is old but could someone explain how to do the above? (bartbes comment) I'm new to compiling stuff.
Sorry about that.

Thanks