lutro - the libretro port

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
iyzsong
Prole

lutro - the libretro port

Post by iyzsong »

I have the same idea year ago, but they make it! :awesome:
RetroArch has been my favorite games emulator for a long time,
and now I can play love2d games just in it. wow~

IMO, the advantages are:
* configurable frontend (for configure video, joysticks, etc.)
* cross-platform solution (support android, xbox, etc)
* multiplayer out-of-box

Can not find the annouce from retro guys,
but allow me to say hi ;-)

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-lutro
I~=Spam
Party member

Re: lutro - the libretro port

Post by I~=Spam »

Very interesting... I have never heard of this library before... it looks really useful. Thanks for the link. :)
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Interesting. An reimplementation of löve in c? Does it makes sense? Why he has not just taken liblove.lib ?
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

It isn't a reimplementation of LOVE... Non is closer to that than this. This is just based on the ideas presented in LOVE. So it was inspired by LOVE. Some of the callbacks are the same and there are some new callbacks as well.
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

But why? Sorry I don't understand this :? .
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I also think a better explanation to what this is would be nice, I don't really get it.
Kivutar
Prole

Post by Kivutar »

Hello, I'm one of the developpers of Lutro.

Lutro is a reimplementation of the LÖVE API as a libretro core. Libretro is an API for emulators and game engines.

Lutro has no dependancies except Lua, is coded in C99, and is software rendered. Lutro is not a complete clone of LÖVE. Just a subset.

The goal is to run some retro styled games on a very wide range of platforms not supported yet by LÖVE.

So far, RetroArch, our frontend, have been ported to Emscripten, PSP, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Wii, GameCube, PS3, Windows, Linux with xorg, Linux with wayland, Linux with DRM/KMS, Linux with MALI, Linux with Vivante, Linux with VideoCore, Windows, Nintendo DS and maybe more.. maybe PS Vita, i'm not sure.

But there are other libretro frontends, like KODI's retroplayer.

Lutro is able to run games that have a retro look, with no rotations or too much transparency. The games of Simon Larsen are a good example. I use them as test case. Here is a demo made with Lutro:

Also, we are building an OS around libretro. It is called Lakka and can transform small ARM hardware into a game console. For now, Lakka is mainly used for emulation. But with Lutro, it becomes more than that.

Of course, we would be interested in having a real LÖVE port to libretro, to run the games that depends on GL operations. For this, leiradel started to port LÖVE to libretro. But his project is still at the very first steps.