LÖVR - a LÖVE-like engine for virtual reality

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
bjornbytes
Prole

Re: LÖVR - a LÖVE-like engine for virtual reality

Post by bjornbytes »

Hey, thanks for trying it out! Regarding the crash, did you have SteamVR running when you started it? Also, what are your specs (32/64 bit, graphics card)? One thing to try might be to disable the VR stuff by creating a conf.lua file and putting this in it:

Code: Select all

function lovr.conf(t)
  t.modules.headset = false
end
That will disable lovr.headset, but might help determine what's wrong.

Also, I found the broken link on the Introduction page, that 404 should be fixed now.
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

bjornbytes wrote:Hey, thanks for trying it out! Regarding the crash, did you have SteamVR running when you started it? Also, what are your specs (32/64 bit, graphics card)? One thing to try might be to disable the VR stuff by creating a conf.lua file and putting this in it:

Code: Select all

function lovr.conf(t)
  t.modules.headset = false
end
That will disable lovr.headset, but might help determine what's wrong.

Also, I found the broken link on the Introduction page, that 404 should be fixed now.
SteamVR still wasn't running, I reread your instructions and it was supposed to be running before starting Lovr.
I'm so sorry.
With that config param disabled it doesn't crash anymore, even without SteamVR running.
Win 10 64 bit, gpu Intel 4400HD.
Thank you for your support and for fixing the broken link =)
bjornbytes
Prole

Post by bjornbytes »

I recently upgraded to OpenVR 1.0.5 and noticed a new problem where it will often crash if SteamVR isn't installed/running. I'm guessing that's the issue you're seeing. I'll see if there's any way I can stop it from happening. You could also try starting lovr.exe from the command prompt to see if there's any useful output that gets printed out. I should also put in a visual error screen so it's easier to understand what's going on!
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

bjornbytes wrote:I recently upgraded to OpenVR 1.0.5 and noticed a new problem where it will often crash if SteamVR isn't installed/running. I'm guessing that's the issue you're seeing. I'll see if there's any way I can stop it from happening. You could also try starting lovr.exe from the command prompt to see if there's any useful output that gets printed out. I should also put in a visual error screen so it's easier to understand what's going on!
Got it!
No useful output unfortunately, even launching it from the command line =)
Thank you again for your support!
Untitled234.png
Untitled234.png (128.42 KiB) Viewed 47499 times
bjornbytes
Prole

Post by bjornbytes »

Going to post an update here since there's been a lot of new stuff added:

- Added support for 3D physics
- Added support for exporting to the web using WebVR (uses techniques similar to love.js)
- Added support for audio (with spatialized audio for VR)
- Framebuffer support (folded into Texture object, supports MSAA)
- Added font rendering
- Feature parity in several of the other modules
- No game screen, error screen, etc.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Holy smokes, dude! That's some great work. I was playing around with this before, but didn't get very far as I don't have a VR headset. However, now that this amazingly supports WebVR, I'll definitely have to play around with it! Fantastic!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

I use a Rift in roomscale and this works great so far, awesome "port". :)
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

This is amazing! So impressive.
TheHUG
Citizen

Post by TheHUG »

Woah this is really cool! I always felt that love2d's approach and API should generalize to 3D just fine. I was dissapointed to find that if I wanted to do 3d I'd have to use some annoying bloated GUI engine like Unreal. This is exactly what I'd be looking for for 3d game development! but more than that you've managed to apply it to VR! I haven't done anything in 3d yet and don't have any plans, but I'm eager to try LOVR out.

Do you think there's a way to merge Love2d and LOVR, so they can benefit from each other's continued development and ensure compatibility of all the Love2d libraries with LOVR's features (where applicable). It'd also expand both communities. I get that you developed from scratch with love2d as inspiration/reference, but there might still be a way.
Of course there'd be a matter of ensuring the 3D capabilities don't hinder the 2D's ease of use, but I figure the 2d variants of functions could be aliases for the 3d versions, providing a defualt argument to the not-applicable arguments (e.g. z coordinate). It'd then be a simple matter of stating at the start love = love.love2d (default) or love = love.lovr to make the switch.
If the love2d team and you worked together I figure you can replace core components of love2d with LOVR (with any newer love features added on), and build 2D versions over the top of it. (I'm assuming that LOVR is pretty efficient? so love2d could be built on it without much troube).

Er, just an idea. Maybe it isn't feasible, but have you considered it?
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

LOVR is written in C99 and LOVE is written in C++ so they aren't really compatible, no. On a different note, I've been using LOVR a lot recently with @shakesoda and we're working on an online multiplayer social game with it. We've made a fair bit of progress so far! Without trying to shill my own wares, I want to show off a few things you can do with LOVR so that others who may be interested can see some examples of what can be done with it (and so much more!)

Loading Models and Scenes! (Have you ever taken a stroll around Outset Island from Wind Waker? I have~)

Climbing?!

Physics! (we have gravity non-accelerating to make it easier to develop without getting sick hehe)

Multiplayer?!! (This video was taken immediately after we got multiplayer working , but we have since smoothed the network data and have full head and controller tracking working and smooth with custom models)

Oculus Quest support! (ignore the graphical glitches, that was our code, not LOVR)
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé