Love appImage template (for Linux)

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Re: Love appImage template (for Linux)

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Thanks bartbes. I managed to get it working by building my own tarball and then the appimage. For some reason the docker part had all sorts of pushd/popd related bugs with paths so I couldn't do that.

What I'd like to know is where should I add libraries? For Steam I need to add libsteam_api.so somewhere but I'm not sure where. It doesn't seem like I can do it after the final executable is built, so it has to be somewhere in the appimage build script? But I'm not sure where.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

adnzzzzZ wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 am For some reason the docker part had all sorts of pushd/popd related bugs with paths so I couldn't do that.
Can you make an issue for that so I can take a look? It's been running fine for months on multiple systems for me.
adnzzzzZ wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 am What I'd like to know is where should I add libraries? For Steam I need to add libsteam_api.so somewhere but I'm not sure where. It doesn't seem like I can do it after the final executable is built, so it has to be somewhere in the appimage build script? But I'm not sure where.
The easiest place is in the tarball stage. Depending on what kind of library it is the location will vary. If it's a c library to be used by love or via the ffi, you can drop it in basically anywhere that contains libraries, so usr/lib is a good bet. If it's a lua library (as in, a c library you want to require directly) at the moment you'll need to modify the launcher script to set the LUA_CPATH environment variable (or modify package.cpath in your code).
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

This worked. I managed to get it working on Ubuntu 16.04+ systems so far. This is good enough for now for me. Thanks!
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

Sorry to be a massive pain here, but could I pick your brains?

Is it technically possible to create a Linux build of a LOVE game while in a Windows OS?
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

I haven't tried it but I don't think it is, drunken_munki. I used multiple VMs for doing and testing my builds on Linux. I think technically you could try with the Windows 10 Linux Subsystem but I think that would lead to lots of bugs.
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

Thanks for the reply adnzzzzZ.

I'm going to have to install Ubuntu and get used to it, it's been several years. I've been developing on a Windows 7 and can package the game I'm making for windows, but am researching how the feck to make a linux release.