Love appImage template (for Linux)

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
eri0o
Prole

Love appImage template (for Linux)

Post by eri0o »

Hello,

Is there any Love appImage Template like the love-snap-template ?

I having a lot of trouble building an appImage (I am on Ubuntu 16.04)
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Love appImage template (for Linux)

Post by bartbes »

There's https://bitbucket.org/bartbes/love-linux-builder which I'm also using for my nightlies but I still haven't gotten around to documenting it properly.
eri0o
Prole

Post by eri0o »

Very interesting, but I was looking into more a template thing instead. I would much prefer a game in an appImage folder structure that's clear what is needed to be placed where so I can build my game mimicking this structure.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Like I said, it's poorly documented, but if you toss your game info in the right place in there it builds game-specific packages.
eri0o
Prole

Post by eri0o »

I read your code, I see your appImage script depends on your tarball script. In your tarball script, nothing says game.love, so I just can't understand how it works, where should my game be placed?

In tarball build script, the case where you check the basename of something looking for libraries. What's the expected folder structure for everything? You get the libraries from love deb files? How the tarball works once it's generated?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

The tarball script just extracts binaries from the system it is run on. This means that your binaries will need to be built on a (relatively) old distro if you want them to be fairly portable. To assist with that I've created a docker container using debian oldoldstable. You can also find prebuilt 0.10.2 binaries in the corresponding bitbucket issue.

The appimage script looks at 3 files in the root of the love-linux-builder repo: game.love, game.svg and game.desktop.in, respectively your game, its icon and a desktop file describing it.
eri0o
Prole

Post by eri0o »

ok, I tried your script. Picked the
love-0.10.2-amd64.tar.gz here (https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issues/ ... x-binaries) . I renamed amd64 to x86-64, because that's my actual arch reported with uname -m.

Then proceeded to create a game.love, game.png and a game.desktop.in in proper directory structure. Then once I ran build.sh, it failed because it's missing %ICONPREFIX%love, then I removed %ICONPREFIX%, and then it succeed, but running failed because it was missing %BINARYPREFIX%love, then I removed %BINARYPREFIX% and it ran the love in my machine, instead of the packed fused one.

So it's seems somewhere, it's missing a sed operation to rename those prefixes with the proper directory to point to the things inside the appImage.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Oh yeah, oops. I changed the replacements "recently". %BINARYPREFIX%love became %BINARY% and %ICONPREFIX%love became %ICON%. That tarball is from before that change.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I also want to package my game for Linux and I'm having problems. I tried following the guide on the wiki, but the program "care" doesn't seem to work for me and doesn't generate a proper .tar.gz. I've been reading on this thread and on the bitbucket issues one about what people are doing but I have no idea where to start.

Is there a way for you to provide me with a description of the steps that I need to take given the files that you posted on the thread, like the love-0.10.2-i686.AppImage one? A high level description is fine, but I'm pretty lost on what's happening and what this .AppImage file is doing and how it relates to my game that will be packaged with it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I've added a more complete documentation to the repo, you can find it here: Getting Started.