Love2D WebPlayer (WebGL)

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Love2D WebPlayer (WebGL)

Post by slime »

That's hardware-accelerated canvas2d too, so yeah, webgl is definitely faster (although speed will also depend on how optimized the web player code is).
ghoulsblade
Party member

Post by ghoulsblade »

on an unrelated note, i might have been wrong and websockets might support binary zero. more research needed to make sure.
http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/#dom ... binarytype (thanks @ sience for the link)
i still know too little about them, there's some possibilities about getting them through port 80 (http standard) with the right apache modules/config on a server to avoid firewall troubles, not sure what security rules apply for other ports or if the ip adress of the network server has to be the same as where the website is loaded from (keyword cross-domain).
Websocket is restricted to tcp i think, so udp won't work that way i guess, unless flash can do udp and expose it to javascript or something like that.
Anyway network will require a bunch of further research and will be low prio for now, too much graphics stuff and other api to finish first =)
love-android - gamejams
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

clickrush wrote: they show how stubbornly annoying IE still is

YOU TOTALLY WRONG! EAT YOUR WORDS! http://browseryoulovedtohate.com/ ;)
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

IE 9: "Hey guys we've caught up to Firefox 3.6!" (Well, almost)
Kurosuke needs beta testers
YellowAfterlife
Prole

Re: Love2D WebPlayer

Post by YellowAfterlife »

SiENcE wrote:here are some additional love2d-webplayer samples.

http://sience.schattenkind.net/love2d/

cheers
Hey, I've been linked to your site section few times, and noticed that you are hosting an old version of my platformer engine among other things.
Could you...
* Update it to current version (one looks and plays much better)
* Insert some sort of traceback link to topic so if someone were to think of using engine they would get a most recent one.

Of webplayer overall, this looks quite and quite interesting.
HTML5 performance rules remain though - one has to optimize things to have them working at full speed.
yal.cc
Contains things I work on. Also gets Love2d examples time to time.
SiENcE
Party member

Re: Love2D WebPlayer

Post by SiENcE »

YellowAfterlife wrote:
SiENcE wrote:here are some additional love2d-webplayer samples.

http://sience.schattenkind.net/love2d/

cheers
Hey, I've been linked to your site section few times, and noticed that you are hosting an old version of my platformer engine among other things.
Could you...
* Update it to current version (one looks and plays much better)
* Insert some sort of traceback link to topic so if someone were to think of using engine they would get a most recent one.

Of webplayer overall, this looks quite and quite interesting.
HTML5 performance rules remain though - one has to optimize things to have them working at full speed.
Shure i can update it. But i need todo a lot of changes, because not everything is supported yet. I drop a link to your game but i will remove it anyway ... this is only for testing the webplayer ;-).
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

I agree, IE is catching up. Though I think a lot of those articles are bogus. I definitely think Chrome has the highest security, though many others are picking up the concept of independent tab/window sandboxing, it think Chromes extension/plugin engine is far more secure than that of IE or Firefox.

Anyway enough opinions, as that's not really the point I'm trying to make.

I don't think IE will support WebGL, or at least not very actively. Microsoft tends to stay away from OpenGL and rather focus's on DirectX and XNA. I think they'll probably just try and keep on with hardware accelerating 2D canvas's, perhaps they'll expose sliverlight to Javascript or .NET/XNA? Though that would require dependencies.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

You know what would have been awesome? If love.filesystem could write files to the server, instead of on the user's computer. That way, you could totally make an online game, with accounts and login and stuff, really easily.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

coffee wrote:<Video>
I hate that video so much. I have actually lost money because of IE. And now they tell me that I don't like it because I'm mentally ill, and I just "love to hate it". It's offensive.
T-Bone wrote:You know what would have been awesome? If love.filesystem could write files to the server, instead of on the user's computer. That way, you could totally make an online game, with accounts and login and stuff, really easily.
Well, the "local" part could be done with localStorage. For the remote part you would need a server of some sort.
When I write def I mean function.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

How could someone lose money due to a browser? It sent an order twice or something like that?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics