Stomp - Little party game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Le Codex
Prole

Stomp - Little party game

Post by Le Codex »

Hi,

This is one of my most developped game I've done. The principe is simple. You select the numbers of players, each one controls a little colored slime. The goal is to stomp the other players. But beware! The rules change every round, so you have to adapt to them!
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (8.57 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Controls :
1) A and D to move, W to jump, RED
2) Arrow keys to move and jump, GREEN
3) J and L to move, I to jump, BLUE
4) A controller is required to unlock the possibility to play with 4 players. Left stick to move, 3/X/A to jump, YELLOW.

Available Gamemodes:
Normal: The original gameplay.
Reverse rules: Don't stomp, be stomped!
Double speed: Can you still understand when you go twice as fast?
Random colors: Everyone's color is messed up ! Find yourself before being stomped!
Slow-motion: The closer you are, the slower it gets...
The floor is lava: Push the others players to make them fall into the lava :joker:...
Action Camera: The camera films only the true action!

The score you have is shown on your player, and the player with the highest score gets a little crown of his color!
The first one, by winning a round, to reach 50 points wins the game!

I post it on the forum to see what you guys think about it and so you could tell what I could add/change/delete!
It can be a bug, a new gamemode, a better title or just a silly idea that I'll try to squeeze in my game :ultrahappy:!
The source code and the graphics were made by me, the only librairies I used is classic.lua to manage objects and classes and some functions that I got on the forum. I won't claim any copyright, so feel free to mess up with the code!
Feel free also to ask me questions about the code if you don't understand why and/or how I do something ;)

The music I use is from the amazing librairy of Eric Matyas that you can find here : http://soundimage.org/, and the song I use is 8-bit Mayhem.

This game was not made in the purpose of selling it or becoming famous, it's just a game I developped to test out my skills and to laugh a bit with my friends.

Hope you'll enjoy it :)

EDITS:
-Added a little graphics thing for the Slow-Motion gamemode, changed a bit death animation, and started working on bots to replace players (not here yet).
-Added bots, selectable from the menu (if you select 1 bots, the 1st player will be one, if you selct 2 the 1st and the 2nd will be bots...), added camera motion for round ending, and corrected keyboard inputs, so now these are the same independently of your keyboard's layout/language (Thanks Nixola ;) ).
-Added a little animation when you stick to walls (a simple tilt), and a new gamemode: Action Camera !
-Fixed some bugs, added yellow borders to show where the warp occurs, added the flip animation when you touch ceilings, improved a bit the A.I., added the 50-points limit.
Stomp.love
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by Le Codex on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Code: Select all

if your.timeSpeed > 0 then universe:update(dt) else universe:destroy() end
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Stomp - Little party game

Post by Nixola »

The game feels kind of fun, with collisions needing to be polished a bit (colliding with the side of a platform makes you stand still in mid-air, which is not ideal). The layout was a major annoyance, but it can be fixed using love.keyboard.isScancodeDown and Scancodes instead; in that case, you'd have to code around a US-centric layout (up is w, down is s, left is a, right is d) but it would work on all layouts regardless, because scancodes take into account the position of the key, not the letter on it.
All in all, it's something a bit more advanced than what I'd expect as a first project, so good job! A suggestion I have is, instead of coding the gamemode inside main.lua, have a list of gamemodes, with each being a table, so that adding one is easier. First, work on the collision a bit though.
EDIT: I'm attaching a modified build that uses scancodes so it's cross-layout. You can freely inspect the code and take it as your own, Le Codex; I only changed six lines (123 to 126 in main.lua, 55 to 57 in player.lua).
Attachments
Stomp_scancodes.love
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Le Codex
Prole

Post by Le Codex »

QaA: I'll add responses to the different feedbacks here to prevent bumping ^^

Nixola: Thanks for the idea of Scancodes! I'll code them inside right now (or I could use the .love you gave me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Also, the fact that you can stick to walls and ceilings is volountary, I thought it was a good idea to add mobility :huh: ... And this is not my first project at all. This is my 4th real game I make, so this is why I talk about "one of my most advanced games", because I made another one before called "Turing's test", which is also quite advanced (for my level, I think :roll:). You can find it and my other games here : https://le-codex.itch.io ^^ . Also you can call me just Codex, it's weird to have a full "Le Codex" in a sentence since it's a french pseudonym :)

Nixola 2: I'll change the animations so that the slimes turn sideways, I think it should work well...
Last edited by Le Codex on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Code: Select all

if your.timeSpeed > 0 then universe:update(dt) else universe:destroy() end
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Oh, I didn't know you made other games. Still, it's not a bad project. If the sticking thing is voluntary, I suggest you add other animations to represent it; right now it just looks like the slimes are unintentionally stuck in mid-air...
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics