FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Hydrogen Maniac
Prole
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 pm

FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by Hydrogen Maniac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi all :awesome: .

Haven't posted anything in a while so it feels good to finally post something here. I participated in the GMTK Jam over the weekend and made this game for it. The theme was dual purpose design(See more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5C1Uj7jJCg) and while a lot of other games in this jam used that theme better than I did I still feel like the game is fun enough to show of to y'all.

Anyways, FU3L() is a zero-gravity top-down shooter where killing enemies gives you fuel that you need in order to move effectively. I promise there is more to it than that but I think it's better if you just play it ;) .

Screenshots:
Image
Image
Image

Controls:
Turn left = 'A'
Turn right = 'D'
Accelerate = 'W'
Fire = 'SPACE'
Toggle Fullscreen = 'F'
Quit = 'ESC'

Downloads:
the regular ol' .love file:
FU3L().love
(260.38 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

itch.io page:
https://hydrogen-maniac.itch.io/fu3l
https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam/rate/159157
I'm way too sober for this...

robotron9000
Prole
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:45 am

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by robotron9000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am

Love the presentation and the feel of this. The parallax starfield is so simple but really looks awesome. Love how powerful the weapons feel too. The first time I pressed the fire button I was just like "Oh yeah!"

The ramp up in difficulty after you collect your first heart is insane. The extreme acceleration, loads of debris and tiny play field was just too much for me too handle. I also had trouble telling which way my ship was facing in the heat of the moment, and would thrust myself directly in to a rock. I think it might be nice if the ship was an obvious arrow shape.

The tactic I tried was just to stay in the first "level" as long as possible.

User avatar
Hydrogen Maniac
Prole
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by Hydrogen Maniac » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 pm

robotron9000 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am
Love the presentation and the feel of this. The parallax starfield is so simple but really looks awesome. Love how powerful the weapons feel too. The first time I pressed the fire button I was just like "Oh yeah!"

The ramp up in difficulty after you collect your first heart is insane. The extreme acceleration, loads of debris and tiny play field was just too much for me too handle. I also had trouble telling which way my ship was facing in the heat of the moment, and would thrust myself directly in to a rock. I think it might be nice if the ship was an obvious arrow shape.

The tactic I tried was just to stay in the first "level" as long as possible.
Thanks for playing :awesome: , the difficulty jump is probably just a coincidence seeing how the enemy count isn't connected to the pickups. I'll try to make the game a little less busy in future but I won't post something until the game jam has fully ended.
I'm way too sober for this...

User avatar
DmL
Prole
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 am

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by DmL » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:50 pm

This is great! It's so juicy, and the weapons are pure bliss. Great presentation. Keep up the good work!

User avatar
Hydrogen Maniac
Prole
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by Hydrogen Maniac » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm

DmL wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:50 pm
This is great! It's so juicy, and the weapons are pure bliss. Great presentation. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, glad you liked it! :awesome:
I'm way too sober for this...

User avatar
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by CaptainMaelstrom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:56 am

Final Score: 193
This is awesome! Totally agree with what others have said about how nice the weapons are. Also agree it's a little hard to see which direction the ship is pointing.

I really like the colors chosen. That and the hand-drawn look of some of hearts and X's reminds me a bit of GoNNER.

Thanks for sharing!

User avatar
Pospos
Prole
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by Pospos » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

i really like this game

User avatar
Hydrogen Maniac
Prole
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by Hydrogen Maniac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:51 pm

CaptainMaelstrom wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:56 am
Final Score: 193
This is awesome! Totally agree with what others have said about how nice the weapons are. Also agree it's a little hard to see which direction the ship is pointing.

I really like the colors chosen. That and the hand-drawn look of some of hearts and X's reminds me a bit of GoNNER.

Thanks for sharing!
193 is pretty good, think my highscore is something like 260 but I can't remember exactly. Probably would've added a HighScore screen if I had the time, think I'll add that for the non GMTK version of the game along with some graphics settings to alleviate the whole 'my ship is a jumbled mess of pixels and I can't tell where I'm facing' problem since that seems to be a common thing. Anyways, I'm happy you enjoyed it. :awesome:
Pospos wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm
i really like this game
Thanks man. :ultrahappy:
I'm way too sober for this...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xNick1 and 4 guests