Mario Kart: Extreme Drift

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
retrotails
Party member

Mario Kart: Extreme Drift

Post by retrotails » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 am

So here I am again, years later, with another Mario Kart thing. This time it's a bit more playable, though.
2 years ago, hatninja PM'd me about my Mario Kart shader demo, asking for a bit of help to make this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83309
and that helped me get sprites working, but I never really got around to making an actual game with my shader.
And now, on the 10th anniversary of my Youtube channel (which started out with a Super Mario Kart video,) I have an early test release of Mario Kart: Extreme Drift, a box2d-based, drifting focused Super Mario Kart clone with more advanced physics and 100% faked 3D.

The game is licensed GPL v3, and the code is mine apart from some help with sprite rendering from hatninja. I do have at least 2 other people who plan to help with code and custom tracks after the first stable release.

Controls are hard-coded for this initial release, arrow keys and space bar for player 1, WASD and left shift for player 2. Also you can hold L to see a 2D version of the track, and use numbers 1-6 to change the view perspective.
Attachments
Mario Kart Extreme Drift v0.1.love
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 44 times

randomnovice
Citizen

Re: Mario Kart: Extreme Drift

Post by randomnovice » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 am

I love how it looks and sounds!

However I found that the runspeed was way too fast and the controls super-super-sensitive.

Stifu
Citizen

Post by Stifu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 am

After having worked so many years on my Super Mario Kart editor, it's interesting to see the game remade with modern technologies. Some limitations are no longer there, but some things are missing (like moving lava). Anyway, nice work!
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com

ivan
Party member

Post by ivan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am

retrotails wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 am
The game is licensed GPL v3, and the code is mine
The game looks cool, but I think somebody already has a license on Mario. :)

retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm

ivan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am
The game looks cool, but I think somebody already has a license on Mario. :)
That'd be assets and trademarks, GPL only covers code, which is owned by me.
randomnovice wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 am
I love how it looks and sounds!

However I found that the runspeed was way too fast and the controls super-super-sensitive.
I assume you have a non-60FPS monitor then. Some Box2D stuff is framerate-dependent and some stuff isn't, I haven't yet tweaked it to work at any framerate. I plan to separate the update code from the draw code anyway to make online multiplayer easier later on. I explicitly set dt = 1/60, which is normally a pretty bad practice, but things don't control much better with a high framerate. I might have an update soon with a hack work around.