My first game! :DDDD (WIP) Feedback please :)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

My first game! :DDDD (WIP) Feedback please :)

Post by onedaysnotice »

My year 12 major project is finally coming together mwahahaha. 5 days in the making, I'm proud of what I've accomplished :D Enemy spawning is random for the most part, so difficulty will vary lol. Please tell me if I have to tone things down (or up) :D There are three enemy classes atm, and the third can come in at around 2 min.

Arrows to move, space to shoot :D Oh and if it doesn't run, then maybe your computer doesn't support 1280x800 at which case you'll have to edit the conf file :s

Note: your collision radius is only 2px from the center of the ship, so don't be too afraid of only your image colliding with the bullet! :D
Attachments
Archive.love
(5.8 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
Last edited by onedaysnotice on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffee
Party member

Re: My first game! :DDDD (WIP) Feedback please :)

Post by coffee »

onedaysnotice wrote:My year 12 major project is finally coming together mwahahaha. 5 days in the making, I'm proud of what I've accomplished :D Enemy spawning is random for the most part, so difficulty will vary lol. Please tell me if I have to tone things down (or up) :D There are three enemy classes atm, and the third can come in at around 2 min.

Arrows to move, space to shoot :D Oh and if it doesn't run, then maybe your computer doesn't support 1280x800 at which case you'll have to edit the conf file :s
Ohhhh look, it's Santos half-game! ;P
Well done but maybe enemies are a bit hard to kill with so fast scroll movement. The game gameplay is overall ok but not yet IMHO very exciting to play. Personally I really hate you (or anyone) full-screen a game without my request.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

That weirded out completely my computer. I can support up to 1280x1024 but making it fullscreen it's what made it. I guess that's why I don't like games going fullscreen, I always play windowed.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Post by onedaysnotice »

coffee wrote:
onedaysnotice wrote:My year 12 major project is finally coming together mwahahaha. 5 days in the making, I'm proud of what I've accomplished :D Enemy spawning is random for the most part, so difficulty will vary lol. Please tell me if I have to tone things down (or up) :D There are three enemy classes atm, and the third can come in at around 2 min.

Ohhhh look, it's Santos half-game! ;P
Well done but maybe enemies are a bit hard to kill with so fast scroll movement. The game gameplay is overall ok but not yet IMHO very exciting to play. Personally I really hate you (or anyone) full-screen a game without my request.
XD oh shoosh you xP. Don't worry, I'm gonna be crediting you, Santos (especially LOL), Robin and everyone else who helped me in the credits once I get around to doing it :D. Should I add a pre-launch menu for choosing fullscreen or windowed? Everyone seems hostile against fullscreen LOL. I never really thought about it since I know my teacher has the same macbook as me (so the same resolution), and this is really only for her sooo... XD

And I wasn't really focusing on gameplay, since I had like no time left. I just wanted to get something out lol.

Well anyways, after my exams are over, I'll finally have the time to properly learn the language and make proper games :D For now, off to doing the documentation and stuff! DX
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

onedaysnotice wrote: XD oh shoosh you xP. Don't worry, I'm gonna be crediting you, Santos (especially LOL), Robin and everyone else who helped me in the credits once I get around to doing it :D. Should I add a pre-launch menu for choosing fullscreen or windowed? Everyone seems hostile against fullscreen LOL. I never really thought about it since I know my teacher has the same macbook as me (so the same resolution), and this is really only for her sooo... XD

And I wasn't really focusing on gameplay, since I had like no time left. I just wanted to get something out lol.

Well anyways, after my exams are over, I'll finally have the time to properly learn the language and make proper games :D For now, off to doing the documentation and stuff! DX
Don't worry crediting me, I don't care about it neither I remember if my contribution was even enough for deserve that. However I will never forget Santos major and awesome help in your project.

For me the problem of full-screens (beside some technical complications as Ellohir may had) is that you isolate people from the rest of world/computer. Some people could need stay looking for other things (clock, messengers, some status info and so on). Also imagine that how horrible should be play an upscaled low definition raster game in for example a 27'' iMac. It's ok you do a full-screen option but just don't turn it on by default.

EDITED
and this is really only for her sooo... XD
Wait, what are really your intentions with her? Behave as a (good) student! :P
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Post by onedaysnotice »

coffee wrote:Don't worry crediting me, I don't care about it neither I remember if my contribution was even enough for deserve that. However I will never forget Santos major and awesome help in your project.
I'll credit you anyway! It doesn't hurt me, and its good to acknowledge the people who bothered to respond to my plethora of 'completely clueless' threads xD And besides, I remember you helping me a few months ago, while I still trying to make a 2D fighter for this project LOL. Serves me right for being so ambitious for my first game, made me have to restart 7 days before its due Dx.
coffee wrote:For me the problem of full-screens (beside some technical complications as Ellohir may had) is that you isolate people from the rest of world/computer. Some people could need stay looking for other things (clock, messengers, some status info and so on). Also imagine that how horrible should be play an upscaled low definition raster game in for example a 27'' iMac. It's ok you do a full-screen option but just don't turn it on by default.
I see what you mean. It seems I'm in the minority here, since I ALWAYS fullscreen my games. It makes the experiencing more..err..cinematic? XD

coffee wrote:EDITED
and this is really only for her sooo... XD
Wait, what are really your intentions with her? Behave as a (good) student! :P
!!:O She's like 40 years older than me, how can you think such a thing?!?!?!? Dx
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

Really nice! :awesome:

I actually really like the gameplay difficulty, there's always something to look out for and try to avoid/shoot, and the bullets don't move so fast that they hit you before you see them, and I'd say it's not so difficult that someone who isn't used to playing high-speed games will get too overwhelmed. I also really like the attention to detail, like the ship animation and thruster when you move forward, and how the pause screen fades the background out.

As for the fullscreen, here's something you could do: set fullscreen to false in conf.lua, and then in love.load, run love.graphics.toggleFullscreen(). If fullscreen is supported, it will go fullscreen, and if not, nothing will happen! :D

And you can set a key to do this also:

Code: Select all

if key == 'f11' then
	love.graphics.toggleFullscreen()
end
You can, if you want to, but I really don't need credit by the way. :D I guess I should give some credit to Goature for this tutorial, where I took the how-to-make-enemies-change-direction-in-a-sine-or-cosine-wave. (I... I really need to learn some trigonometry. :rofl:)

Congrats on making a rad game! :)

And thanks for your kind words coffee! :neko:

EDIT: Oops! :oops: Thanks Robin! :)
Last edited by Santos on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Amost. It should be 'f11', with a lower case "f".

See the wiki.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Post by onedaysnotice »

Santos wrote:Really nice! :awesome:

I actually really like the gameplay difficulty, there's always something to look out for and try to avoid/shoot, and the bullets don't move so fast that they hit you before you see them, and I'd say it's not so difficult that someone who isn't used to playing high-speed games will get too overwhelmed. I also really like the attention to detail, like the ship animation and thruster when you move forward, and how the pause screen fades the background out.
Thanks man. :D
Santos wrote:As for the fullscreen, here's something you could do: set fullscreen to false in conf.lua, and then in love.load, run love.graphics.toggleFullscreen(). If fullscreen is supported, it will go fullscreen, and if not, nothing will happen! :D
ooooo that's good to know. *Goes to implement it* xD
Santos wrote:You can, if you want to, but I really don't need credit by the way. :D
I'll feel bad if I don't credit you ._. LOL
Santos wrote:I guess I should give some credit to Goature for this tutorial, where I took the how-to-make-enemies-change-direction-in-a-sine-or-cosine-wave. (I... I really need to learn some trigonometry. :rofl:)
Yeah I've watched that tutorial too! When I was reading your code before, I was like "where have I seen this before?" xD

Thanks for all the help Santos! :D
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

Any chance of a toggle sound feature? I really like it, it's very high quality for a first game. The bullet collision looks a bit dodgy, I should have died a long time before I did, though that was nice in tight places. But, like I said, great quality for your first game. Looking forward to seeing more work from you!