[LD24] The Last Slime (done using Raycast)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
coffee
Party member

[LD24] The Last Slime (done using Raycast)

Post by coffee »

The author of this raycast project was listed in our LD24 forum thread but went completely under radar! Not even a comment in LD entry! Not fair really!

It seems to work nicely in the video but for me crashes after a while (after leaving cavern). By the video world is huge. It have shooting implemented. Seems cool for me spite of crash. I'm not even sure if author is or which nickname use in this forum. Also it appear he deleted his GIT projects.

POST-MORTEM Link: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2012/08/ ... ostmortem/
LD24 ENTRY: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2012/08/ ... e-finished

So Josh Morrissey/astralcalculus good work!

EDITED: Added also LD24 official entry besides the post-mortem one.
Last edited by coffee on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dreadkillz
Party member

Re: [LD24] The Last Slime (done using Raycast)

Post by dreadkillz »

Wow really impressive. Here's the link for the lazy: link
I feel like making a pseudo 3d game now for the challenge.

EDIT: I get random crashes outside too :(.
Last edited by dreadkillz on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

dreadkillz wrote:Wow really impressive. Here's the link for the lazy: link
I feel like making a pseudo 3d game now for the challenge.
Thank you. But isn't usually the post-mortem link newer?
Maybe found the reason of crash. Disabling sound will make chances of have lesser crashes. However didn't found why crashes sometimes.

EDITED: Added also official LD24 entry. Thanks dreadkillz.
dreadkillz wrote:EDIT: I get random crashes outside too .
Yes, too random and I thought was a sound problem but isn't. Can't figure out what the problem could be. Maybe disabling author notification we could have a clue.
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

It crashes on me immediately after clicking start. :( I scanned through the code quickly to find that it uses canvases, so it wouldn't run on here anyway ... but I'm not seeing the typical error reports from canvases. All I get is, "An error has occured that caused The Last Slime to stop. You can notify...." (etc.).
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

scirath wrote:It crashes on me immediately after clicking start. :( I scanned through the code quickly to find that it uses canvases, so it wouldn't run on here anyway ... but I'm not seeing the typical error reports from canvases. All I get is, "An error has occured that caused The Last Slime to stop. You can notify...." (etc.).
Oh, I think raycast techniques usually needs canvas for assemble and present the textures. You probably then can't also play the other nice raycast projects like the ones of jasoco and retrotails.

He is using t.release in config. If you disable you will manage to see the error.
If t.release is enabled, LÖVE uses the release error handler (love.releaseerrhand), which is sparse on information by default, and can, of course, be overridden.

The default release mode error handler also outputs a message to the player informing them to contact the author using the values title, author and url as specified in conf.lua.
There seems also the problem that if you press enter or space at start (don't remember which one) game exits by accident.
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

coffee wrote:He is using t.release in config. If you disable you will manage to see the error.
If t.release is enabled, LÖVE uses the release error handler (love.releaseerrhand), which is sparse on information by default, and can, of course, be overridden.

The default release mode error handler also outputs a message to the player informing them to contact the author using the values title, author and url as specified in conf.lua.
Oh, cool. I hadn't known about that one. Disabled it and got the usual canvas error, so yup...that's exactly what's borking it (for me, at least).
coffee wrote:You probably then can't also play the other nice raycast projects like the ones of jasoco and retrotails.
I haven't been able to, no. There were some starts of similar projects before 0.8.0 that whetted my appetite for 'em, so kinda sad. ... But I understand entirely why people have made the switch; they're way too good to ignore. Some day, I shall have to get a machine that will do them. Just can't justify the expenditure against my other financial obligations. Yet. (Soon, my pretty...soooon.)
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'm kind of impressed. Another Raycasting game. So much code to look through to see how things were done.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Awww too bad, the link of the game is not working anymore
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

yetneverdone wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm Awww too bad, the link of the game is not working anymore
Necroposting aside, welcome to 2017, where Dropbox decided to ruin the internet by invalidating billions of links.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

zorg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm
yetneverdone wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm Awww too bad, the link of the game is not working anymore
Necroposting aside, welcome to 2017, where Dropbox decided to ruin the internet by invalidating billions of links.
oh, i remember about dropbox latest update. So, the dev of this game should update the link haha