FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
User avatar
SiENcE
Party member
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany
Contact:

FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by SiENcE »

We (schattenkind.net) made another game. Have fun!

FOUR is a 1-4 Player one button game.

You need to reach the green finish line. The first Player wins it all.
The world is generated dynamically and new, every time you start a new race!

All gameplay-code, graphics & music was made in 20 hours during the OverNight Contest at Devmania 2012 6-7.10.2012 in Mainz!

Image
Image

Download => http://gamejams.schattenkind.net/2012/11/four.html

cheers
SiENcE
Last edited by SiENcE on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
josefnpat
Inner party member
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 am
Location: your basement
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by josefnpat »

Nice job!

Was devmania an online event, or was it somewhere you guys got together and did this? Great for twenty hours. A few bugs, but nonetheless, a great prototype!

I see you used my lovemenu*, even though there were quite a few changes. I see you made quite a few changes to the lib; if you have any requests or bugs to file, I watch the issue queue!

On your website blog post, you say "All code, graphics & music was made in ~20 hours during the OverNight Contest at Devmania 2012 6-7.10.2012 in Mainz!" and then go to credit, "Made with LÖVE!"

I don't really care, because I'm very happy that you used and adapted my library, but be careful in the future;

I really wanted to make sure you had used my lib, instead of just re-writing it, so I did a diff; https://gist.github.com/4069304

The ZLIB license (which lovemenu is licensed under) carefully states a few things;
Copyright (c) 2012 Josef Patoprsty

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
* I really need to rebase this lib.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
User avatar
paritybit
Citizen
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 am

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by paritybit »

That's pretty cool.
josefnpat wrote: The ZLIB license (which lovemenu is licensed under) carefully states a few things;
He didn't distribute the source, he distributed a binary. And if he hadn't used the word "all" in front of code, there probably wouldn't be anything questionable about it.
User avatar
SiENcE
Party member
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by SiENcE »

I'm a little bit irritated for the amount of work you put into decompilation or whatever you did to get the code.

=> You should have asked me via PM.

I changed code to gameplay-code :) because this is what i meant. I also added lovemenu as reference. Of couse we didn't wrote all code during a 20hour jam overnight. The changes for lovemenu where mainly hacks, so i saw no reason to distribute them.

As you can see on our website, we mostly distribute the love/source files with our games. But i have to clear it up with all devs that worked on the game. I had no time for this yet. => Thats why you still see strikes for linux/macosx/web :).

So please don't cover this thread for a licensing discussion. I release the source as soon as all devs agreed.
josefnpat wrote: Was devmania an online event, or was it somewhere you guys got together and did this? Great for twenty hours. A few bugs, but nonetheless, a great prototype!
Thx. As you can see on the video on our website the event is an offline event :) => http://www.devmania.org since 1999 (dusmania) (theoretical the first gamejam party of the world).
User avatar
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Okay, to come back on the topic, I hate you, SiENcE.
Just because, I run it, and it looked sooo gorgeous. Music, Ui, everything.
And when I hit "start", it crashed (see attachment).
Fix iiiiit, now! Or I shall summon the gods of Löve, and they won't have mercy on your soul.
Attachments
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
User avatar
SiENcE
Party member
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by SiENcE »

Thx Roland :-)

Arrgs strange. I assume your PC doesn't supports shaders?

I fixed the bug and uploaded the game again. I hope this fixes your problems.

the game needs at least 2players, better 4 :).

have fun.

@josefnpat: i added your license.
Last edited by SiENcE on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

SiENcE wrote:Thx Roland :-)

Arrgs strange. I assume your PC doesn't supports shaders?
I updated the game. I hope this fixes your problems.
Well, right assumption. So that might be the cause...
If you managed to add support for my PC, that's awesome, lemme try it then.

SiENcE wrote: the game needs at least 2players, better 4 :).
have fun.
Well, I have two arms, and two feet. That makes 4 players.
Let's have fun.
User avatar
SiENcE
Party member
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by SiENcE »

The nose can be used too :).
User avatar
josefnpat
Inner party member
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 am
Location: your basement
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by josefnpat »

SiENcE wrote:I'm a little bit irritated for the amount of work you put into decompilation or whatever you did to get the code.
I really meant no offence, and I feel bad at this point.

The decompilation was the only way I could run the game on linux, and the diff was only to rest my own doubts, as I knew a lot of the code had changed.

Code: Select all

diff menu.lua FOUR_schattenkind/scenes/menu.lua --ignore-space-change --ignore-case -U999999999999
SiENcE wrote: => You should have asked me via PM.
And again, I apologize. I am new to people using my libraries and the intricacies therein. I will do that in the future.
SiENcE wrote: I changed code to gameplay-code :) because this is what i meant. I also added lovemenu as reference. Of couse we didn't wrote all code during a 20hour jam overnight. The changes for lovemenu where mainly hacks, so i saw no reason to distribute them.

As you can see on our website, we mostly distribute the love/source files with our games. But i have to clear it up with all devs that worked on the game. I had no time for this yet. => Thats why you still see strikes for linux/macosx/web :).

So please don't cover this thread for a licensing discussion. I release the source as soon as all devs agreed.
josefnpat wrote: Was devmania an online event, or was it somewhere you guys got together and did this? Great for twenty hours. A few bugs, but nonetheless, a great prototype!
Thx. As you can see on the video on our website the event is an offline event :) => http://www.devmania.org since 1999 (dusmania) (theoretical the first gamejam party of the world).
That sounds like so much fun! Are there some rankings and/or prizes?
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
User avatar
Robin
The Omniscient
Posts: 6506
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:29 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: FOUR - 20hours gamejam game by schattenkind

Post by Robin »

SiENcE wrote:I'm a little bit irritated for the amount of work you put into decompilation or whatever you did to get the code.
That's no work at all. A merged LÖVE game is still a valid zip file, so it is no more work than getting the source from a .love. If you think that's a problem, don't use LÖVE. I happen to think it's excellent.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests