Pröxima - A Space RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Pröxima - A Space RTS

Post by Jasoco »

There's no reason you can't support all of them really. Since Löve has a way to retrieve all the available resolutions, you can check to see if one is possible, and the screen can be changed size on whim. With a bit of programming, you can do whatever you want. If it's a game that doesn't matter how big the screen is, why not? Especially RTS games where it's better to have more space visible. My screen is 1280x800 as it is a popular size.

If not supporting all resolutions, at least offer both a 4:3 and a 16:10 size option. As well as a 16:9 for people who use TV's (Or the new iMacs) as monitors. Then at least it'll look fine and sidebar-less when set to fullscreen.

My own game has a way to switch between 800x500 (16:10) and 640x480 (4:3). When the 800x500 size is at fullscreen, it scales up beautifully. (Though my game uses blocky 16-bit style graphics for an authentic SNES look, even though the SNES didn't do 16:10, so it doesn't need to be set to full screen resolution.)
Lanidrak
Prole

Post by Lanidrak »

I would love if this game was compatible on say, both my 1024x600 Netbook and my 1680x1050 widescreen, 20" Desktop.

I could do some simple gaming on the go... and some serious gaming when I can put my speakers on loud and bug the neighbors.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Well, it is possible. It just takes some coding to check available resolutions, allow switching to them, and place UI stuff in the right places as well as make the game itself aware of the window size and not just fixed to a certain resolution.

Being an RTS game, it shouldn't care what the screen size is.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Of course it should care if it becomes a 1x1 window, you do need to fit all UI elements into the window (and preferably some view of the world as well.)
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Jasoco wrote:Well, it is possible. It just takes some coding to check available resolutions, allow switching to them, and place UI stuff in the right places as well as make the game itself aware of the window size and not just fixed to a certain resolution.

Being an RTS game, it shouldn't care what the screen size is.
The minimum resolution matters.
If the minimum resolution is 1024x768, I can't create a menubar which is larger than 768px.
It all has to fit screen and has to be playable. With any resolutions larger than that you don't have that problem.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Well duh. But no computer in the world has a resolution of 1x1. Of course a minimum should be implemented. Though if you ask me, it would be 640x480.
Lanidrak
Prole

Post by Lanidrak »

Hehe, he does make a point, and touché with no computer having 1x1 resolution.

Definitely 640x480 - don't jeopardize your eventual audience simply because they happen to have a notebook or a wacky resolution!

How's the progress coming along? Any more screenshots?

Personally I like the menu interface and from what I've seen so far this is a promising project - don't let us down :)
Avalon
Prole

Post by Avalon »

Average netbook resolution is 1024×600, so I'd go for 768x576 personally.
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Do you guys have any figures/facts about those resolutions? Because I must have been very spoiled resolution wise, If you know what I mean :) I find 640x480 very small. Smallest resolution I found on a pc/laptop in my neighbourhood is 1024x768 which is a +/-10 years old pc in some kind of basement gathering dust :p.
If I recall correctly c&c Red Alert (1996) had a resolution of 800x600 (SVGA), you had also a dos version which supported VGA. But this is 14 years ago.

I'm not at home at te moment so i can't tell if my current design is heigher than 600px. :roll:
But even if it fits you will have a very small sight on the actual battlefield :( I want everyone to enjoy the game once finished.

Something else,
Currently looking for suitable music, I have found someone who is might make a theme (battlestar galactica style ^^) for me but it's not certain and he has not much time. And I need more than just one a theme. So if you know anyone who could help me out making more music based upon that theme or his make his own in the same style.
I've read somewhere the music of Homeworld was released freely but haven't found anything confirming that it even can be used in my game. But if possible I prefer the first option and have unique tracklist. :)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I remember Homeworld's music as being very extremely ambient. Not sure if that is what you want.
And also, this is a survey done by Valve of their customers on their hardware. (Very biased towards Windows gamers) http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey