Pröxima - A Space RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]suggestion

Post by rhezalouis »

Virox wrote: - Units can be created or removed dynamicly
- Individual or multiple unit selection
- Unit movement + line formation
nice idea! i would love to see the dynamic unit creation/deletion. and line formation is a must, it really is the löveliest thing to see in a space RTS! :megagrin:

about the unit types, i think the less the better. theoretically,
Mike Doyle wrote:... our memories tend to be able to only take in 7 or so variables maximum at a time so much needs to be done to achieve a higher level of identification. Mike Doyle’s Art Play
thus, the less type of ships to remember provides more memory space to save the other variables involved in the game.

and ship's classification is quite difficult to remember since it varies between different games, i prefer to use more lucid adjective classification showing the advantage of the ship [i mean, cool class names with less meaning to beginners are better avoided]. i suggest a simpler classification such as:
1. beast class: huge firepower and armor [battlecruiser]
2. javelin/skirmish class: long range [frigate]
3. sword/melee class: short range, basic fleet component
4. swarm class: emphasises quantity over quality [fighters and their carriers]
p.s. ah, i cannot really simplify the classes, hahaha. they are all important and too lövely to be sacked. it's a suggestion afterall. :megagrin:
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Virox
Citizen

Re: [RLC]suggestion

Post by Virox »

rhezalouis wrote:
Virox wrote: - Units can be created or removed dynamicly
- Individual or multiple unit selection
- Unit movement + line formation
nice idea! i would love to see the dynamic unit creation/deletion. and line formation is a must, it really is the löveliest thing to see in a space RTS! :megagrin:
Thanks, these are still basic commands for a RTS. I'm planning more formations, but first i've to finish my unittypes.
rhezalouis wrote: about the unit types, i think the less the better. theoretically,
Mike Doyle wrote:... our memories tend to be able to only take in 7 or so variables maximum at a time so much needs to be done to achieve a higher level of identification. Mike Doyle’s Art Play
thus, the less type of ships to remember provides more memory space to save the other variables involved in the game.
Hehe a fellow board gamer? You are right about that. It's vital to the gameplay how units are designed. Their color, shape, size, movement, weapons determines if a player easly can recognize them and use them. In most games the most popular units are those who's purpose or tactics are the most straight forward. The rock-paper-scissor is a popular method for units and easy to remember.
- Fighters: Good vs Large ships
- Frigate: Recon and Hit & Run
- Destroyer: Good vs Frigates
- Cruiser: Good vs Fighters
- Battlecruiser: Good vs Destroyer & Cruiser
- Battleship: Good vs Spacestations & Large ships
- Carrier: Support, Defenceless

I'm still considering a minelayer or give the function to one of the above units. But that's just an idea.
rhezalouis wrote: and ship's classification is quite difficult to remember since it varies between different games, i prefer to use more lucid adjective classification showing the advantage of the ship [i mean, cool class names with less meaning to beginners are better avoided]. i suggest a simpler classification such as:
1. beast class: huge firepower and armor [battlecruiser]
2. javelin/skirmish class: long range [frigate]
3. sword/melee class: short range, basic fleet component
4. swarm class: emphasises quantity over quality [fighters and their carriers]
p.s. ah, i cannot really simplify the classes, hahaha. they are all important and too lövely to be sacked. it's a suggestion afterall. :megagrin:
Hey it's a great suggestion it's a simplified list of mine :)
In a single player campaign it's important that the user get's properly introduced to a unit and get's time to learn how to use theh unit.
Virox
Citizen

Re: Pröxima - A Space RTS

Post by Virox »

Update:
- I've made a temporary main menu (see attachements). New (better) BG is in the making :)
- I've redesigned my unit class, now it supports unitclasses and should now be easier to extend in the future.

On the 2nd attachement screen you see can see 2 unitclasses: The tiny green/white arrows represent fighters and the "catamaran"-shaped units are frigates. Selected units turn white instead of green.
Fighters will be grouped into squadrons (5 fighters) so it will be easier to command a large wave of those tiny fighters :)
Attachments
Main Menu
Main Menu
2010-01-20 - 001.JPG (53.81 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Different Unitclasses
Different Unitclasses
2010-01-20 - 002.JPG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

New update:

Not much programming progress but weapons and projectiles are added so units will fight each other. 8-)

I've done much brainstorming since the last update:
I've come up with the red line in the story and have split it into several chapters (missions).

The story will be told in between two missions.
I'll use a similar movie style as in Homeworld to tell the story. I mean a mix of static and moving images drawn in Löve, possibly with a voice-over and/or subtitles.
The story itself is nothing groundbreaking, especially if you have seen or played Homeworld and Battlestar Galactica (both have also inspired each other)

To make my moviescene images, I building 3D models of my spaceships, so I can make as many 2D renders as I want, instead of drawing them again everytime for a different scene.
I know it takes time to finish a 3D model, but once finished the possibilties are endless :)
I'm also planning to create a simple löve program to easily manage and built the moviescenes and add them to the game.

For those who have no clue what I mean: Homeworld 2: Intro Movie

This is a short introduction to the story and setting of Pröxima:
Shortly after the colonization of Mars, mankind discovered the knowledge to travel at light speed.
...A new era of exploration began...
‘Pröxima’ was quickly chosen as the first destination outside the Solar System. It was a small, uninhabited planet orbiting the star ‘Proxima Centauri’ in the ‘Centauri ‘constellation.
The people of Earth combined their efforts and started the construction of the largest spacecraft ever built… ‘The Galician’.
It would take nearly a decade to complete it.
‘The Galician’, with more than thousand people on board, embarked and began his journey on the 2nd of April 2074. After 2 years and 276 days travelling in space, the first human recon shuttle lands on Pröxima…
A day that will change mankind forever…
I hope there aren't to many spelling mistakes :p
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

The "cutscene engine" sounds like a great idea.

However, no matter how cool your animations end up being, please add an option for skipping them! Unskippable = fail

Bonus points if you can add a "cinematics" option on the main menu (initially all cinematics would be "blocked")
When I write def I mean function.
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Ofcourse the cutscene's will be optional. Same when the game starts. I also hate it when you are forced to watch the same intro movie again and again.
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Hey an update again.

I have a question.
I've been working on the GUI of the game. I've made an early concept of the building menu.
What do you guys think of the visual style i'm aiming at? Any suggestions or comments?
(Don't mind the repeating icons or missing unit images, it's a concept)

Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Looks very nice.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I can tell it is a tabbed interface. Looks nice and makes sense.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It looks great, use it!