Physics Platformer Test b.9 (updated 1/28)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Physics Platformer Test b.9 (updated 1/28)

Post by Taehl »

My first Love creation. Comment and critique, please!

Physics Platformer Test
By Taehl
The PPT is a tech demo written for a few purposes:
1) For me to figure out how to use Love.
2) To see how a physics-based character might move.
3) As a starting point or "how do you do ____" guide for other platform games.

I release all code and other contents of this package to the public domain except my Taehl logo. Use them for anything you want. All I ask for is to be credited... But don't let that stop you if you feel like paying me. ;)

b0.9 is the final version of PPT. At this point it's turning into an actual game, rather than a test engine.

Playing PPT:
The basic controls are W, A, S, D, and Ctrl. If I'm doing it right, less than a minute of experimentation should let players figure out how to move around. Holding Ctrl lets you walk instead of running. At the moment, there's no goal. I suppose you can say you "won" if you find the easter egg (it's the "There's nothing here" message).

If you hold Space and a direction (W, A, S, and/or D), you can take tiles or place a tile that you've taken. You can carry up to 16 tiles at a time.

Once you're comfortable with moving around the "playground" level, press T to check out a procedurally-generated level. Hitting R will generate a new map and reset your character.

Download it here.

b.9 update:
- Divorced physics from framerate
- Improved procedural generation algorithm
- Added background tiles
- Added parallax-scrolling background
- Improved character physics
- Changed "tile manipulation" to "picking up and dropping tiles"
- Many general improvements

b.7 update:
- Added dynamic shadows!! (Toggle with the Z key)
- Added tile manipulation (Q key)
- Added procedural map generator (Press T to toggle between map and procedural)
- Added scrolling camera, with zoom (Hold walk (Space) to zoom)
- Improved map again
- Many general improvements

b.6 update:
- Mantling is improved
- Level is much better (more platforms and stuff)
- Added crawling (hold S)
- Added Quit and Reset buttons (Esc and R)
- Made walking instantly turn you around
- Improved debug data and instructions display
- Improved handling what happens to things that fall out of the screen
- Improved easter egg
Last edited by Taehl on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]error

Post by rhezalouis »

dear taehl,

i got an error message as soon as i open the game. i've attached it below. i wonder if it's because of my LÖVE 0.6.0 build is not the latest. i'll try to install the latest and back to your program. :megagrin:
Attachments
[taehl's PPT]error report
[taehl's PPT]error report
Capture.PNG (11.01 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]comments

Post by rhezalouis »

ah, it was because the build i am using [love-20091123-20387c3a3d7c-win-x86].

it's a nice programme. here are some feedbacks for you:
  • i feel the character attracted to the right and tend to fall to his right
  • i like the simplicity offered, i think you should draw the character and the ball in the same width line with the platform [or the other way round]. a big arrow [instead of the small one you have there] marking his direction would be nice.
  • you mistyped the info: the keys to move are A/D not A/S. i think it's more intuitive and comfortable to use the arrow than asdw.
  • can you make the character to wake up upon left/right key? it feels strange having to press up to stand.
  • one more thing: i hardly able to go upstairs so that i prefer to fall to the right hole. the climbing process is useless because the character keeps falling to the previous step after hitting his head to the next step. and do you disable the sequence up-left button? to move in both axes do i only have the option to use the left-up sequence? [do i must run to jump left? though realistic, it's quite hard at small areas such as the stair steps]
anyway, it's a good work. :)

p.s. ah, i like the dust effect too. and please add an exit button. :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: [RLC]comments

Post by bartbes »

rhezalouis wrote:ah, it was because the build i am using [love-20091123-20387c3a3d7c-win-x86].
You know love 0.6.0 has been released, right?
rhezalouis
Party member

Post by rhezalouis »

bartbes wrote:You know love 0.6.0 has been released, right?
yes, sir!

i have installed it and the programme works fine. that's why i have posted some feedbacks about the programme, sir. :)
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

New version. I've added a link to the first post.

Features:
- Mantling is improved
- Level is much better (more platforms and stuff)
- Added crawling (hold S)
- Made walking instantly turn you around
- Improved debug data and instructions display
- Improved handling what happens to things that fall out of the screen
- Improved easter egg
rhezalouis wrote:
  • i feel the character attracted to the right and tend to fall to his right
  • i like the simplicity offered, i think you should draw the character and the ball in the same width line with the platform [or the other way round]. a big arrow [instead of the small one you have there] marking his direction would be nice.
  • you mistyped the info: the keys to move are A/D not A/S. i think it's more intuitive and comfortable to use the arrow than asdw.
  • can you make the character to wake up upon left/right key? it feels strange having to press up to stand.
  • one more thing: i hardly able to go upstairs so that i prefer to fall to the right hole. the climbing process is useless because the character keeps falling to the previous step after hitting his head to the next step. and do you disable the sequence up-left button? to move in both axes do i only have the option to use the left-up sequence? [do i must run to jump left? though realistic, it's quite hard at small areas such as the stair steps]
p.s. ah, i like the dust effect too. and please add an exit button. :)
- This is due to the fact that the whole level was basically a slope. The new one is a much better demonstration.
- Good ideas, thanks. The character, however, will continue to be drawn differently (to help stand out)
- Oops, you're right. Fixed that typo in the new version.
- No problem. Left and right now make him recover, too. ;)
- If you don't want to mantle, just don't continue holding jump - the only way to mantle is to be holding both jump and the direction when you hit the cliff (and you also have to be facing the cliff). Jumping in PPT is a little tricky until you get the hang of it... Remember that your jump is in the direction that you're standing - the more you're leaning, the further sideways you'll go. With practice, though, you can do most anything pretty easily. Hint: Use little taps of the direction keys to alter your lean angle.
- An exit button? Sure. Esc now quits the demo.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Taehl

Re: Physics Platformer Test b.9 (updated 1/28)

Post by Taehl »

I've updated PPT once more. Check the first post for the changelog.

This will prolly be the last release of PPT, since it's starting to turn into an actual game now (instead of a test engine).