Bighead

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Qcode
Party member

Bighead

Post by Qcode »

So this is a platformer game that I made, it's my first real game. The art isn't great, but I hope you guys can still appreciate it for what it is. It's got 50 levels. Elements in the game include powerups, spikes, teleporters, and lasers. Also up to 4 player multiplayer. I'm horrible at describing this game so I'm just going to cut to the screenshots.

A power up floating by in the first level
CM4bF.png
CM4bF.png (92.19 KiB) Viewed 126 times
(You start out with three lives, even though I only have two)

After getting the powerup
j1POl.png
j1POl.png (91.47 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Placing the block down (can be used to save yourself from death, obviously)
xORSL.png
xORSL.png (92.55 KiB) Viewed 126 times
A little bad guy
1g5yD.png
1g5yD.png (119.81 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Teleporting
q3pr1.png
q3pr1.png (74.53 KiB) Viewed 126 times
The boss (he throws blocks)
Bgi2O.png
Bgi2O.png (85.44 KiB) Viewed 126 times
I made this with two friends from school who did art and music, however they wouldn't want their names posted on the internet.

Download: Bighead.love

(Special thanks to bartbes for helping me out on a love.filesystem.load bug on windows :3 )

There is a way you can get into a level editor I made through code, but we didn't release it with the game as no one would want to make levels for it anyway and it's incredibly basic.

I'd thought I'd leave the different worlds here for you all to see, and the main feature in them

Code: Select all

World 1: Overworld (Basic parts of game)
World 2: Desert (Glass, lots of teleporters)
World 3: Cave (Downwards spike, baddies in harder places)
World 4: Ice (Ice :P)
World 5: First 4 worlds "reprise" (Nothing new, it's just a bit of a milestone)
World 6: Grass/Water (Water)
World 7: Techno (Laser shooters)
World 8: Maze (Vertical map height)
World 9: Moon (Lower gravity)
World 10: Boss world ("reprise" of first 9 levels + awesome boss fight)
We are going to be selling this at our school to raise money for a annual school thing. A bunch of kids try to raise money to go to Washington D.C (We live all the way over in Montana) and so even though none of us are going we're helping them out. It's being sold for 5 dollars, which we think is a good deal for 10 cents a level.

Have fun, leave criticism (I know he doesn't have varying jump height, I couldn't get it right for some reason) and feel free to examine my somewhat crappy code! (Also Robin, if you're reading this and you remember this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8306 then I promise I won't kill your computer this time. Friends? :3)
kamranjon
Prole

Re: Bighead

Post by kamranjon »

First off, this is awesome - thanks for releasing the game and the accompanying code, this is exactly what i was looking for to help me get a quick understanding of how a simple platform game is made.

Some thoughts -
The jumps could have a little more gravity too them, seem to float quite a bit.
The teleport animation takes a little longer than expected.
The power-ups feel a bit useless - would be cool if you could throw them in front of you a bit, so you could save yourself from falling on spikes that were ahead of you.
Also, there should be a retry option with a countdown timer, so that you don't have to go back to zero after you lose your 3 lives.
Also, the game freezes up at the completion point for level 3.

That's all I can think of for now, but this is awesome, it's got music, a game menu, animation basically all the nuts and bolts for a great game.

Keep it up!
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

First: Great. A finished and complete game with menus, multiple levels and stuff. Not many people manage to get a game finished. Congratulations.

In my opinion the walking speed is to low (or probably the acceleration). That makes the game feel, like it does not respond immediately. Can you make the acceleration higher?
Second, the player is larger (wider) than one tile. That means that the player cannot fall into small holes, that are only one tile wide. You should adapt you level design to that. I found a couple of places, that look dangerous, but where it is actually impossible to fall down.
Third, it would be really convenient, if the player can choose a level without using the mouse. It is really inconvenient, if I player on the keyboard, and after each level i have to click with the mouse once. How about adding a "Press space to enter next level" after each level?
buhb11
Citizen

Post by buhb11 »

Awesome job !
I found Love very enjoyable and nice!