[WIP] War of Mages (or War of <something>)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ubermann
Party member

[WIP] War of Mages (or War of <something>)

Post by Ubermann »

Hi.

[WIP] = [Work in Progress]

I don't think that the "WHat are you working on" thread is a good place to talk about this, so here we can discuss this game idea:
s3pZu.png
s3pZu.png (227.18 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Supported resolutions:
Any, but so far, tested:
- 1000x600
- 800x480
- 480x280

Languages so far:
- English
- Español
- Français
- Deutsch
- Nynorsk
- Dansk
- Italiano
- Русский
- 日本語 (You say this is Chinese and you got banned from our Internet)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Galician
Last edited by Ubermann on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: [IDEA] War of Mages (or War of <something>)

Post by Nixola »

I like the idea very much, I could help you developing it but I haven't ever tried to develop something with someone else... May I suggest hex cells, anyway?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Sound like good ideas.

I suggest keeping the game mechanics as simple as you can.

The game chess is so interesting, because the players can see the whole game state in one view and the rules for each piece in the game are very clear. If you make your game mechanics too complicated with too many character properties (attack, defence, speed etc), you game will have less chess-flavour.

My feeling is, that two ideas "chess-like game" and "lots of RPG elements" will be a challenge to get together. I hope you can come up with some good ideas to get the two things in one game.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

micha wrote:Sound like good ideas.

I suggest keeping the game mechanics as simple as you can.

The game chess is so interesting, because the players can see the whole game state in one view and the rules for each piece in the game are very clear. If you make your game mechanics too complicated with too many character properties (attack, defence, speed etc), you game will have less chess-flavour.

My feeling is, that two ideas "chess-like game" and "lots of RPG elements" will be a challenge to get together. I hope you can come up with some good ideas to get the two things in one game.
I had basically the idea of doing something like this, but with much more features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4y3mDk-870

Nixola wrote:I like the idea very much, I could help you developing it but I haven't ever tried to develop something with someone else... May I suggest hex cells, anyway?

For teamwork we will need to create some kind of planning and tasks to complete, then anyone can get assigned to any specific task.
Some tasks will require other tasks to be completed first.

About the hexagonal map, it could be a good idea, but I'm not sure if it would fit well my original idea since the board even when being bigger than normal chess, an hex board will require a lot more space than traditional squares.

If you take a look at the youtube video i posted there, that is the basic idea I have envisioned (hell this word sounds so nice).
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I'm actually working on something kinda similar to this. My project aims to be a multiplayer SRPG (think Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, Advance Wars) but with the similar idea of being able to create your own abilities. Although this largely involves magick, the playable characters aren't limited to mages, you can create knights and archers etc. as well.

Judging by your description, I feel that your game will be set in a larger 'map' or play area, you should really focus on that. If, like me, you plan on having no traditional level/experience mechanic you'll want as much variation as possible, and map variety really helps for that.

This also reminds me of Civ games, yet the combat description you describe hints towards a system whereby battles are cut-away screens (like Fire Emblem/Advance Wars meets your typical JRPG), which could be interesting. I'd like to hear more about this; what kind of mechanics were you thinking of incorporating in order to have an "advanced combat system"?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Ubermann
Party member

Re: [IDEA] War of <something>

Post by Ubermann »

So far, I have been working something on this. You may check the first post to see how the game looks so far.

Also any game idea will be kindly welcome :D

And thread title changed from [IDEA] to [WIP]

Lafolie wrote:I'm actually working on something kinda similar to this. My project aims to be a multiplayer SRPG (think Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, Advance Wars) but with the similar idea of being able to create your own abilities. Although this largely involves magick, the playable characters aren't limited to mages, you can create knights and archers etc. as well.

Judging by your description, I feel that your game will be set in a larger 'map' or play area, you should really focus on that. If, like me, you plan on having no traditional level/experience mechanic you'll want as much variation as possible, and map variety really helps for that.

This also reminds me of Civ games, yet the combat description you describe hints towards a system whereby battles are cut-away screens (like Fire Emblem/Advance Wars meets your typical JRPG), which could be interesting. I'd like to hear more about this; what kind of mechanics were you thinking of incorporating in order to have an "advanced combat system"?
Check first post to know exactly what I'm talking about.
It is more like a kind of chesslike game than an pure action battle game.
coffee
Party member

Re: [WIP] War of Mages (or War of <something>)

Post by coffee »

I wish good luck for project spite that already a lot of Chaos kind of remakes/clones/derivatives already done. Since the original author itself is working right now in an official remake (with hex grid as Nixola suggested)... well, maybe IMHO looking "bad timing" or "redundant" you be working on this atm.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

I'd also like to take part in developing this game.

And it's more correct to write "Вы переместили своего мага на поле " instead of what is now. The font #5 looks pretty readable and nice.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

coffee wrote:I wish good luck for project spite that already a lot of Chaos kind of remakes/clones/derivatives already done. Since the original author itself is working right now in an official remake (with hex grid as Nixola suggested)... well, maybe IMHO looking "bad timing" or "redundant" you be working on this atm.
It will not be exactly a Chaos clone because I will have different game mechanincs. Thinks of it like a game based roughly on Chaos game.

IndieKid wrote:I'd also like to take part in developing this game.

And it's more correct to write "Вы переместили своего мага на поле " instead of what is now. The font #5 looks pretty readable and nice.
I'm working right now on the AI from scratch and the tooltip when the player moves the cursor over enemies.

I can send you the source code (uncommented, quite messy and definitely not for general purpose) if you are interested.
I will write some comments in the code right now.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

Ubermann wrote:I'm working right now on the AI from scratch and the tooltip when the player moves the cursor over enemies.

I can send you the source code (uncommented, quite messy and definitely not for general purpose) if you are interested.
I will write some comments in the code right now.
Cool, thanks.