Spacing out

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

What element would you like Space to focus on?

Story-telling
12%
Exploration
23%
Action (ship vs ship)
15%
Strategy (small scale)
16%
Diplomacy
9%
Conquest
9%
Trade
17%

Total votes: 94

Robin
The Omniscient

Spacing out

Post by Robin »

Despite having no spare time left, I decided to go and make a vector graphics space game.

Last time I tried that was... interesting (and it is easily the most popular project I ever started), but I failed to get it even to 1.0, so this time I'm going to do it differently.

I'll put up polls for you guys, and ask for feedback, instead of coding, coding, coding, without looking back.

See all my (new) polls on polldaddy.
Last edited by Robin on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Spacing out

Post by kikito »

Hi!

What kind of space game are we talking about?

If we are talking about a strategy game (with lots of units) then I'd at least require some interface (something that shows unit status and then some buttons for special actions, and menus if there are lots of actions. Probably a map, too - bonus points if it reacts to the mouse)

If we are talking about a 2d shooter, then some texts displaying the basic things (score, lifes/energy left, current weapon, that sort of thing) would be enough. No need to do buttons.

For a 3d shooter, again, no buttons. A 3d radar would be nice, and you will probably need more info than in 2D (hull/shield status, ammo), so you will probably not be able to get away with a text-only UI - some basic graphics might be needed.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Thanks for the feedback, kikito (and all the people who voted).

As it stands now, it will probably be a 2D shooter, but it might get some strategy portions (the ability to control a small fleet).

The voting seems to indicate most people want to see everything they need, but don't want their screen to be full with buttons. So the game will be controlled by keyboard rather than by mouse.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The community has spoken: the UI will be Compact/Minimal.

Now the next question is that of fonts: the game will be vector-based, but what about the fonts. Do you prefer me to use a TTF or to make an imagefont?
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]a comment

Post by rhezalouis »

hi, robin! it's been a while, eh? :)
Robin wrote:Now the next question is that of fonts: the game will be vector-based, but what about the fonts. Do you prefer me to use a TTF or to make an imagefont?
yay! i support more creations of LÖVE bitmap font. [i think self-made fonts provides more good spirits in the public domain and LÖVE image font is just too simple and lövely to resist. :ultrahappy:]
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Robin wrote:Now the next question is that of fonts: the game will be vector-based, but what about the fonts. Do you prefer me to use a TTF or to make an imagefont?
My laptop fails to display bitmap fonts because of the 2^n feature it doesn't have.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I vote for a power-of-two-sized bitmap font based on a power-of-two-sized image, in consideration with our friend technocat.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:
My laptop fails to display bitmap fonts because of the 2^n feature it doesn't have.
I have the same problem. But I guess kikito's solution would solve that. ;)

The pro-bitmap camp has gained a lot of votes today, although the vector lovers still have a small advantage. I think I will do this: I already found a good vector font, and now I'll make a bitmap font, then show them both to let you decide which you guys like better. :nyu:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The people seem to be in favour of vector based fonts. Which is good, because am I as well. ;)

I did make a few attempts at ImageFonts, the horrible failures you can see below:

So I choose the vector font GemFont One instead. If you have a better suggestion, please comment.

p.s. I have more posts than rude now :rofl:
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I voted LefokoDFef

Am I right to assume this is gibberish?