Underlife (WIP)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
vrld
Party member

Re: Underlife (WIP)

Post by vrld »

That looks really, really good. Please finish it soon ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Awesome. Just awesome. :awesome: can has .love? :3
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Afraid not. It's not even REMOTELY finished, and isn't playable at all. Since I have to remake all the player actions, all you can do at the moment is run around and jump, and get stuck a lot since you can't build your way out. And to make infinite maps practical (as my original concept for Underlife called for), I'll need to make a chunk loading/unloading system, since right now it just throws everything in one huge table (hence, I can scroll out forever. But scrolling out isn't going to be part of the game, so no issue there).
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I hope this gets finished, because it looks amazing. :)
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Now that's big. :ultrashocked:
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I improved the lighting and shadow system. The light streak things are handled much better now, and the shadow geometry is a little more accurate. I've thought of one potential way to allow multiple light sources, however, it'd require a screen-sized framebuffer for each light, and would make the shadow calculation be [number of visible lights] times as slow... Not sure if I want to go down that path.

Next on the agenda is to implement the rest of the player's movement abilities: Crawling, hanging from ledges, and climbing.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I like the way you do the streaks. Not because of the look but the math you use to make them move to the right angle.

Also, I wish we didn't have to worry about silly things like whether or not to use Framebuffers or not. They open the engine up to so many possibilities, but having to decide whether or not to use them is silly.

Which is why we'd made those polls a while ago. Still. The fact that many graphics cards, even new ones, may not support them is silly. I just want to be able to go crazy and use them when I need to and not have to be like "Oh, shoot. You can't play my game? Damn!"
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Games can't be expected to support every single computer imaginable, nearly all have minimum system requirements. No reason yours shouldn't too. :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

slime wrote:Games can't be expected to support every single computer imaginable, nearly all have minimum system requirements. No reason yours shouldn't too. :)
Still, we all want maximum portability, so that everyone can play our games. It's a bit silly for 2D games like the ones we make to have non-trivial minimal system requirements, especially in this day and age.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Then maybe Framebuffers shouldn't even exist.

No, I joke. Please don't take my framebuffers. They're all I have left!

Also, I remember when Löve upgraded images to PO2 automatically. Why did that change?

Also, I love FrameBuffers. I sometimes want to say screw it and use all the buffers I need. Right now I limit myself to two. But I so need more. Especially with 0.8.0.

Are Framebuffers something a video card needs to support via hardware, or can a driver usually be updated to take advantage of them?