[Pre][Alpha] Silence of the Blade [Tech Demo]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
10$man
Citizen

[Pre][Alpha] Silence of the Blade [Tech Demo]

Post by 10$man »

Hello everyone!
So, I have been working on a game for a while. It's called Silence of the Blade. It's basically a stealth game were you use the shadows to hide and take out all the (currently non-existent) enemies.

So far, I have a map editor (Not released, probably never will be), a shadow engine, very basic collision detection (Made so that I can replace it with ease :D), and a few other small things.

What I am looking for is if you could tell me how fast it runs on your PC (FPS is in the Caption) and any recommendations for improvement on what I have done so far (Excluding the health and Oil status bars). If you include the FPS, please give a little information about your PC, including Processor speed (And AMD or Intel), Graphics card and RAM speed.

Also, as a side note, I have a music artist, but I don't think he is interested in doing graphics too. If you like the look of this game and might be interested in helping me redo the graphics (None of the graphics are mine!) then please let me know!

W, A, S and D to move
E to extinguish your lantern.
Q to light it back up.

Requires the use of canvases.
Like four of them in fact.
Attachments
SotB.love
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
SotB.love
Update 1
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by 10$man on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NaSH
Prole

Re: [Pre][Alpha] Silence of the Blade [Tech Demo]

Post by NaSH »

Pretty nice. I'm doing something similar.
[homemade="center"]---------------------------------------------Ready to fück fight[/homemade]
10$man
Citizen

Post by 10$man »

NaSH wrote:Pretty nice. I'm doing something similar.
Thank you and good luck! What kind of FPS did you get?
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

Yep, nice, but please, add the arrow keys for the controls : I use an AZERTY keyboard (I'm sure not alone in this case) and WSAD controls are just painful.

Ghuntar.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
10$man
Citizen

Post by 10$man »

Ghuntar wrote:Yep, nice, but please, add the arrow keys for the controls : I use an AZERTY keyboard (I'm sure not alone in this case) and WSAD controls are just painful.

Ghuntar.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will make it so that you can rebind keys in later versions.

Also, what kind of FPS did you get? I'm very interested to know how this performs on different computers
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

FPS is fine for me. Though I'm on a new computer with an i7 and Intel HD 4000.

You should have a way to turn off VSync to see how much FPS buffer you have to play with. It plays at a constant 60FPS here. It'd be nice to see what the max FPS it can run at is so you know how much more you can do per frame before it gets too low.

It's just a bit dark. I can't even see the player at all except as a slight shadow.

Edit: By running it in Windows, I did see the FPS. I guess VSync is on by default on OS X and off by default on Windows?? Anyway, it was running very high in the 90-120+ range. So good.
10$man
Citizen

Post by 10$man »

Jasoco wrote:FPS is fine for me. Though I'm on a new computer with an i7 and Intel HD 4000.

You should have a way to turn off VSync to see how much FPS buffer you have to play with. It plays at a constant 60FPS here. It'd be nice to see what the max FPS it can run at is so you know how much more you can do per frame before it gets too low.

It's just a bit dark. I can't even see the player at all except as a slight shadow.

Edit: By running it in Windows, I did see the FPS. I guess VSync is on by default on OS X and off by default on Windows?? Anyway, it was running very high in the 90-120+ range. So good.
I get like 250FPS and I'm on an AMD A10-5800k (Without a dedicated GPU)... Perhaps your system is underclocked or something.
The i7 should put my systems performance to shame :ultrashocked:

Anyhow, I appreciate the information. As far as being too dark is concerned, nearly everyone who's played it or seen said that. I guess I need to find a new program that can export Gradients.
Or possibly I could generate one myself... Sounds like work though :(
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I can't disable Vsync here, I get 60 FPS
Anyway, what gradients you mean? If you mean rectangular ones, you can just generate a 2x1 image and scale/rotate it
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Runs fine in a macbook air (60FPS). You need to make it more bright though, it looks too dark right now. I'd remove the "shadow blop on top of the player".
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

10$man wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Edit: By running it in Windows, I did see the FPS. I guess VSync is on by default on OS X and off by default on Windows?? Anyway, it was running very high in the 90-120+ range. So good.
I get like 250FPS and I'm on an AMD A10-5800k (Without a dedicated GPU)... Perhaps your system is underclocked or something.
The i7 should put my systems performance to shame :ultrashocked:
A) It's Windows on a MacBook Air which is only a Dual-Core and not a Quad.

B) It's also running in Parallels, which is a Virtual Machine. So it's to be expected it won't be as fast.