Top-Down City With Depth

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Top-Down City With Depth

Post by nevon »

Thursdaybloom wrote:nevon: wow... :death: I wrote it in 0.6.2 but a) you probably use 0.6.2 and b) I don't think I've used anything 0.6.2 specific (have I?..)
Yup, I'm using 0.6.2.
kalle2990 wrote:Maybe you opened some Matrix program? ;)
That's one possibility, but I think it's fairly unlikely.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Nevon, you are... The One...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

Deecodeuh wrote:Now add shadows. ;)
Haha, I have thought about that actually! It's a good idea which will probably end up happening, just not soon.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Thursdaybloom, the demo looks great.

Is there a reason why you have the player closer to the bottom of the screen, rather than the center?

Also, the perspective feels very high up to me, like looking down from a helicopter. But perhaps that's your intention.
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

hryx wrote:Thursdaybloom, the demo looks great.

Is there a reason why you have the player closer to the bottom of the screen, rather than the center?

Also, the perspective feels very high up to me, like looking down from a helicopter. But perhaps that's your intention.

Thanks for the feedback ^^

I've made the focus off-centre because I feel it's more natural to be able to see more of what's happening infront of you, than behind you.
tl;dr because I like it 8-)

This is just a proof of concept demo to show that I could do it. I just used what tiles I had available and this gives it very zoomed out look. The project is currently going through a graphical make over to make it feel closer to the player.
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

Hurm, odd. Both versions are crashing on me (Windows Vista Home Premium) for all Love 0.6.x versions. Black screens on both when run on 0.5.0.
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

scirath wrote:Hurm, odd. Both versions are crashing on me (Windows Vista Home Premium) for all Love 0.6.x versions. Black screens on both when run on 0.5.0.
Heh. Never mind that. I just "finished" reinstalling Windows earlier today, and now it's working just fine.

Leave it to a munged copy of Windows to mess up my graphics drivers. :roll: On the plus side, I'm no longer affected by that infamous power-of-2 thing! :ultraglee: 'Course now I have to pay attention to my code/graphics to make sure I'm not boxing things up for others. :ehem:
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
Brons
Prole

Post by Brons »

I'm sorry for this kick but the files don't seem to be there anymore. As a new LÖVE user I'm interested in this. Could someone rehost these files? I'd appreciate it.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Brons wrote:I'm sorry for this kick but the files don't seem to be there anymore. As a new LÖVE user I'm interested in this. Could someone rehost these files? I'd appreciate it.
I put it on my dropbox: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2000007/topdowncity.love (this is the non-PO2 version, mind, so if it doesn't work for you, say so and I'll make sure a PO2 version is up.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Brons
Prole

Post by Brons »

Thanks, it works. Great to see what can be done with LÖVE and to learn from it.