trAInsported

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: trAInsported: Alpha testers needed

Post by Germanunkol »

asfreng wrote:fast forward never works, at least for me, the time run but the trains gets frozen, its a bug or something?, i never cant watch the running match
That does sound like a bug.
There's one known issue that I still have with the server, but that should behave differently.
Can you please try the version attached to this post and tell me if this one works for you?

On another note: I wrote to 10 different indie game sites and asked them to write a few lines about the game, not that it's almost done.
However, not _one_ of them replied or posted anything. Kinda disappointing. I know this kind of thing is hard - getting a small game like this one out there - but the response was entirely different when I posted the Wiki-Based-RPG. And that one looked horrible compared to trAInsported :P
Any ideas of what I should do? Hints on where I could post? Or could some of you maybe post it on forums/chat etc?

I realise this game aims at a niche of players, that was always the intention. But I did think that indie sites would often focus on niche games...?
Attachments
trAInsported.love
Testing connection to live match
(4.25 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Wojak
Party member

Post by Wojak »

Well, though the game is awesome, unfortunately its not dedicated to a "common" player. (Not everyone knows how to program an AI, and not to many will learn just to play this game...)

Also i noticed that my AI is somehow in top 3 although it is not a pathfinder, how strange...
asfreng
Prole

Post by asfreng »

i tested the file, same thing :(, fast forward works if it need to forward LIKE 1 minute or less, more than this always dont work :(
About the games, i think that game is great, but im agree with the other guy, is not for "common" players, not everyone think programming is fun =P, the true is u can learn with this game, anyways, maybe u need to find an other thing that common players can do in transported, i dont know, be the passengers in some way? xD
Post your games everywhere, u just need to find the rigth audience.

:)
asfreng
Prole

Post by asfreng »

Wojak wrote:Well, though the game is awesome, unfortunately its not dedicated to a "common" player. (Not everyone knows how to program an AI, and not to many will learn just to play this game...)

Also i noticed that my AI is somehow in top 3 although it is not a pathfinder, how strange...
Thats strange, ur AI is great xD
AnToHu0
Prole

Post by AnToHu0 »

Wojak wrote:Also i noticed that my AI is somehow in top 3 although it is not a pathfinder, how strange...
I know that feel, bro ;)
Its because only 13 real players participates in the game for now. I try to bring coder-friends to game, but only one will join the matches soon maybe.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Wojak wrote:... unfortunately its not dedicated to a "common" player. (Not everyone knows how to program an AI, and not to many will learn just to play this game...)
Yes. I totally agree. But I'd think that these kind of "experimental" games would still be liked by the press. That's what indie games are there for!
And after all, it's the players' choice if they want to get into it or not... and the press should at least download the game and try it - then they'd know that the tutorials are enough to get started.
The tutorials got some of my friends started who have hardly touched a computer before.
I'm just disappointed in the non-existent feedback from the press.. I never expected all of them to write... but none?! That's kinda sad.
Wojak wrote: Also i noticed that my AI is somehow in top 3 although it is not a pathfinder, how strange...
I believe that's because of the new scoring system... your AI doesn't often win the game, but it often ends up being second in a match. Since you get points for being second in the new scoring system, this works for you.
I think this new system is MUCH better, because it's no longer a "winner takes it all" system.
AnToHu0 wrote: I try to bring coder-friends to game, but only one will join the matches soon maybe.
Thanks for the advertisement!

asfreng wrote:i tested the file, same thing :(, fast forward works if it need to forward LIKE 1 minute or less, more than this always dont work :(
:)
Okay, I believe what you're experiencing is a known bug. The server sends the game info in "packets", so every time something happens (passenger spawns, train decides on which direction it wants to take etc) the info is sent in a packet to the clients. It is also stored in a list to make sure new clients can get the info as well.
If a new client connects during a match, the whole list is sent. This means that the clients can then play through the whole list until they reached the state the server is currently in.
But somehow, during the storing/sending of the list, two packets sometimes get mixed together into one. Then the client can't interpret the message.
If this is the case, an error should be displayed when you connect (red box at the bottom) - can you confirm that?

Also, if you stay connected until the next match, the next match should run fine... can you also confirm that?
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
asfreng
Prole

Post by asfreng »

Germanunkol wrote: Okay, I believe what you're experiencing is a known bug. The server sends the game info in "packets", so every time something happens (passenger spawns, train decides on which direction it wants to take etc) the info is sent in a packet to the clients. It is also stored in a list to make sure new clients can get the info as well.
If a new client connects during a match, the whole list is sent. This means that the clients can then play through the whole list until they reached the state the server is currently in.
But somehow, during the storing/sending of the list, two packets sometimes get mixed together into one. Then the client can't interpret the message.
If this is the case, an error should be displayed when you connect (red box at the bottom) - can you confirm that?

Also, if you stay connected until the next match, the next match should run fine... can you also confirm that?
no, i dont get error, sometimes i get this error (wron packet) but i cant enter the live match when this happens
(i need to restart)... the game stop without error but the time still running, when time comes to 0, next match works FINE, the problem is just the first match.
AnToHu0
Prole

Post by AnToHu0 »

Yes, i have this bug too.
whitewater
Prole

Post by whitewater »

My trains often get stuck in 'traffic jams', where they all pile up and none of them can seem to resolve a way out of it. Is there any generic solution to that so I can avoid posting my code and my shame on here?

Like so:
0AZpR97.jpg
0AZpR97.jpg (290.8 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Well, you can use ai.blocked() to notice and resolve this solution.
The easiest way would be to return a random direction in ai.blocked() and then try to find a new way at the next junction. That's sort of what my test AI does.
Germanunkol.de