Concerned Joe

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Concerned Joe

Post by josefnpat »

Jasoco wrote:But if you sit around in one place don't you just die?
Not if you sit on a green plus / health thingy :)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

josefnpat wrote:
Awesome. Yes. The narrator needs to bug the crap out of you. All while Joe makes funny faces. I love love love a well designed idle animation.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Jasoco wrote:
josefnpat wrote:
Awesome. Yes. The narrator needs to bug the crap out of you. All while Joe makes funny faces. I love love love a well designed idle animation.
Yes! We're definitely going to be doing all kinds of stuff like that. Perhaps if you leave the game idle long enough, Joe will get bored and start moving on his own? Who knows!

Concerned Joe is all about layers and layers of secrets and easter eggs. In the flash version, every couple of levels, there was a shaft in the ceiling that led to a secret passage way that you couldn't reach. After you finish the game, stuff happens, and you get the ability to fly! With which you can access those secret tunnels, from which you get even more secrets.

There is a door in the main menu that is closed. It opens only when you finish the game, revealing a passage with a secret item, and another door. That second door does not open when you finish the game time, nor three times. You can however get past it with the secret ability you get from one of the hidden passages in the levels...

And funnily enough, a good number of people actually managed to get allthese secrets. (And in less than a day too! I remember the final final secret of the game had some glitches, but we thought we would have at least a couple of days before anyone reaches it, because you need to finish the game twice and get all the secrets, but people said they had already found it hours after it went online)

That's just a tiny little taste of what we're planning, with Joe 2 being a much bigger game, it would have much more abundant as well as elaborate secrets.

I should probably write a post about this, but are you guys familiar with "layered comedy" ? By that I mean, you know when you watch a movie or show, and there are jokes you only get after you watch it a second time? An example of this is in the movie A Beautiful Mind, if you watched it. (I'm just going to spoil it, sorry!) where somewhere in the beginning, Nash's friends come in to see him playing pool with his "friend" Charles and one of them asks "Hey Nash, who is winning, you or you?"

If you don't know how the movie ends, this line will just fly by over your head. But once you watch it a second time, you'll facepalm at how this was an extremely obvious hint towards the plot twist, and how you missed it.

Whatever you want to call it, "layered storytelling" or hidden tales, I think this technique is brilliant and is something I want to try implementing in Joe, both mechanic/secret wise and story-wise. (Because Johnny won't just be mocking you and making jokes all the time, there's a bigger picture)
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Concerned Joe on Rock Paper Shotgun!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04 ... erned-joe/
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Are you using vectors for the graphics, or bitmaps?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Davidobot wrote:Are you using vectors for the graphics, or bitmaps?
Omar wrote a nice article here.

Judging from the images, they are drawn in a vector graphics programm and saved as a bitmap in high resolution. This is done for the individual body parts separately. In-game the parts are put together in a vector-graphics fashion (see article above).
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

micha wrote:
Davidobot wrote:Are you using vectors for the graphics, or bitmaps?
Omar wrote a nice article here.

Judging from the images, they are drawn in a vector graphics programm and saved as a bitmap in high resolution. This is done for the individual body parts separately. In-game the parts are put together in a vector-graphics fashion (see article above).
That's right. Xelu http://love2d.org/forums/memberlist.php ... le&u=54544 makes the graphics in either Flash or Photoshop, animates them in Flash, exports them like in that article and I use them in the engine.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I get more and more impressed and excited about this game. Cannot wait to see it come out.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

The site seems to be ... down? more like parked.
Lua is not an acronym.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

qaisjp wrote:The site seems to be ... down? more like parked.
Nope. Still up.