Concerned Joe

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
OmarShehata
Party member

Re: Concerned Joe

Post by OmarShehata »

qaisjp wrote:Why wasn't it in the devblog :( This makes my mondays very very interesting..
Are you referring to the bomb mode video? Because we did post it in our weekly Misc Monday post :D http://thoseawesomeguys.com/joedevblog/ ... monday-12/
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

To the code snapshot :>
Lua is not an acronym.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

I wanted to share this here but I didn't want to make a new thread for it.

http://concernedjoe.com/devblog/joes-anatomy/

This is a comprehensive look into how we use box2d and all the tips and advice I've learned and pitfalls and mistakes I've made. Hope someone finds it useful!
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

Quite useful but a quick question - for the issue with the character getting caught in between tiles, wouldn't it be possible to solve by extending the tile hitbox horizontally by about a pixel or two?
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

OttoRobba wrote:Quite useful but a quick question - for the issue with the character getting caught in between tiles, wouldn't it be possible to solve by extending the tile hitbox horizontally by about a pixel or two?
Tried that. Still produces the same problem. (It just seems like box will eventually get stuck in those edges no matter if they overlap)

Another very important thing I forgot, might as well mention it here:

The most stable way to move your character

There are three ways to move something. Either by apply forcing/impulse, by setting its position, and by setting its velocity.

Applying forces sounds like the intuitive thing to do, but it's very hard to get it exactly how you want it, and give you the control you need (you'd be bounded by real world physics)

Setting the position is the equivalent of teleportation in a physics simulation, which can't be good.

Setting the velocity is the most stable of the three.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Brilliant, I was frustrating with that tile problem too, I recoded my game and now the little alien slides across the grassed floor, thank you for the great post :awesome:
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Ranguna259 wrote:Brilliant, I was frustrating with that tile problem too, I recoded my game and now the little alien slides across the grassed floor, thank you for the great post :awesome:
You're welcome!

I wanted to share this too:

http://concernedjoe.com/devblog/misc-mo ... e-shaders/

Writing shaders is a lot easier when you can instantly see the changes you're making.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

OmarShehata wrote:

Writing shaders is a lot easier when you can instantly see the changes you're making.
Holy cow - I want!
That's really awsome. I assume you "simply" check the file's last edit time and reload it if it has changed?
Very neat - I hadn't thought of that. Will definitely try doing that myself from now on - thanks a lot for sharing!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

OmarShehata wrote:
OttoRobba wrote:Quite useful but a quick question - for the issue with the character getting caught in between tiles, wouldn't it be possible to solve by extending the tile hitbox horizontally by about a pixel or two?
Tried that. Still produces the same problem. (It just seems like box will eventually get stuck in those edges no matter if they overlap).
Hmm I see, that is messed up. Cool of you to share how you solved it :D
rxi
Prole

Post by rxi »

Germanunkol wrote:
OmarShehata wrote:

Holy cow - I want!...
My library lurker provides this functionality and can be used the exact same way on shaders as is demonstrated in that video.