Concerned Joe

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Concerned Joe

Post by jjmafiae »

substitute541 wrote:Um, there are hats in the game as far as I know.
WAIT? i though only valve games had hats :o

games with hats made by valve:

lamrr goes to zoo and TF2
Aamer13
Prole

Post by Aamer13 »

Really cool game , love the idea of the developer talking to the player and the game changes as the dev does it ^_^ Adds a fun aspect to most games
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Ranguna259 wrote: OmarShehata, could you maybe give me some hints on how you are making you collision ?
I'm actually just using box2d (love.physics) for the collisions (and heavily tweaked a bunch of things so that the game doesn't have that generic "box2d game" feel. We talk a bit more about this in a very early blogpost: http://concerned-joe.com/devblog/rapid- ... of-images/ )
Eamonn wrote:This game just looks amazing! I'm excited for it!
Thanks! :D

On the topic of skinning, we already have a bunch of skins (although they're all more or less variations of Joe) but we can easily add more, it's also very easy to add items to Joe (This is joe when you're in the editor http://t.co/DNtFYlONnj )

So yeah, hats, monacles, a mustache http://t.co/yLe0C6Dn

Or whatever floats your boat http://t.co/0te8AXz7
jjmafiae wrote:
substitute541 wrote:Um, there are hats in the game as far as I know.
WAIT? i though only valve games had hats :o

games with hats made by valve:

lamrr goes to zoo and TF2
Speaking of TF2..

http://puu.sh/49MHC.mp3
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Joe are cute when he smiles, also i really like the voice thingy.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Box2d huh.. I avoided it because of ramps.. Apparently rectangles don't climb ramps so I can't use it in my game
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Aamer13
Prole

Post by Aamer13 »

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Aamer13 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aamer13
Prole

Post by Aamer13 »

Ranguna259 wrote:Box2d huh.. I avoided it because of ramps.. Apparently rectangles don't climb ramps so I can't use it in my game
Yea i noticed that too , but in one of those links it shows he used triangles on the feet so it slides on the ramps. Pretty neat if you ask me
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

I like what I see so far, this game as a lot going for it, but it does look very advanced how many things have you programmed this in I am sure you have not just used Love, keep it up, also is this going to be a kickstarter/selling game or fan donations sort of game or free?

I need to sit down and read your Blog but right now I am waiting for my wife to drop a baby ... not joking there I really am waiting to be a daddy baby was meant to be here 3 days ago lol

Also will you be porting this to Xbox PLEASE SAY YES lol or at lest android OUYA platform :)
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

crow wrote:I like what I see so far, this game as a lot going for it, but it does look very advanced how many things have you programmed this in I am sure you have not just used Love, keep it up, also is this going to be a kickstarter/selling game or fan donations sort of game or free?

I need to sit down and read your Blog but right now I am waiting for my wife to drop a baby ... not joking there I really am waiting to be a daddy baby was meant to be here 3 days ago lol

Also will you be porting this to Xbox PLEASE SAY YES lol or at lest android OUYA platform :)
I do actually think that this is completely programmed in LÖVE, correct me if I'm wrong.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Ranguna259 wrote:Box2d huh.. I avoided it because of ramps.. Apparently rectangles don't climb ramps so I can't use it in my game
That's the thing with box2d. I've known about it for the past 5 years, and have used it on and off, but have always preferred to code my own physics unless I was going for something that was meant to be realistic and not very "cartoonish". I tried to eschew that generic feeling of "a box2d game" that you can very clearly see in flash games.

Box2d is a really amazing physics engine, but nobody really bothers to look any deeper than "using it out of the box". The deeper I've dug the more amazed I've been that it gives you so many things to play with and control.

We have Joe running over slopes here

http://puu.sh/4atv4.gif

What's really happening is that Joe's box2d body actually has a fixed rotation, and when you touch the slope I get the angle and tween his body to that. Most of the time, the way you want physics to behave in-game is different from the way physics are in real life. For example, Joe's box2d body has no friction, but have a sort of custom friction being applied to him, this is to stop Joe from keeping his momentum while in the air, which allows you to make far more precise jumps.

The fact is, I've never really been able to code perfect collisions from scratch, there was always some obscure or inconsistent glitch here and there. We wanted Concerned Joe to have none of these annoyances, so using box2d seemed like the best option, (if you really wanted to, you can use box2d *just* for collision detection and handle the resolving yourself)
crow wrote:
Davidobot wrote: Also will you be porting this to Xbox PLEASE SAY YES lol or at lest android OUYA platform :)
I do actually think that this is completely programmed in LÖVE, correct me if I'm wrong.
That's right. We've poked around in Love's source, expecting we'd need to do some modifications but so far there hasn't been anything we needed to do that wasn't possible with Love.

As for porting, we'll worry about releasing to PC/Mac/Linux then see if we're still alive by then :P

We have no plans to make a kickstarter or any sort of funding campaign, (everything is currently funded by our own money and the flash game version of Concerned Joe), and yes, we're hoping to sell the game on Steam and whatever other digital distribution services we can get on.
crow wrote: I need to sit down and read your Blog but right now I am waiting for my wife to drop a baby ... not joking there I really am waiting to be a daddy baby was meant to be here 3 days ago lol
I hope all goes well with your wife!