Beat Jam - My Epix new rhythm game!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kingdaro
Party member

Beat Jam - My Epix new rhythm game!

Post by Kingdaro »

Right now it's just the engine, no flashy graphics or anything. Use the number keys 1-4 to hit the notes falling to the red bar. Right now the notes are randomly generated, but I plan to make it so you can load songs from a .txt file so the notes go with the music. If I added music now, you'd be trying to go to the beat, and that would be harder than trying to catch a fruit fly with your feet while doing a handstand on the moon.

Update: NEW ENGINE! New game mechanic, use the keys z x c v b and the left shift key for the effects column. (the one with the spinning star.)

Update 2: Switched around some stuff, but it's nearly the same, no HUGE changes. (Other than high scores, but they are erased once you close the game, I plan to use text files to save scores and settings, as well as re-mappable keys.)

Since the filesizes are getting WAAAAY too big, I'll have to use Mediafire for the rest of my uploads, you'll find all updates in the Mediafire file folder, as well as some screenshots.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8xjvtt7cl4daf

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o44sJgpvPA
Last edited by Kingdaro on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
osuf oboys
Party member

Re: Beat Jam - My Epix new rhythm game!

Post by osuf oboys »

Wow, I really suck at these things. Couldn't hit half of them. It was a bit unclear to me how close the boxes had to be to the line before I could strike them - perhaps one could highlight the area somehow (e.g. a think blue line). About adding music, I think it would benefit your time and the engine's power if you could use a format from a similar game. Such as Frets on Fire. They seem to extract the information from accompanying mids. Maybe a bit hard but if you succeed, you'd have a thousand songs!
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Midis...I never thought of that actually, that's an awesome idea, and I didn't even know LOVE was that powerful! XD

The notes are randomly generated, so any amount can come at any time.

A highlight area would also be a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, another question. How would you go through all the lines in a file using "for i=1, #lines do", "i" being the current line read, and "lines" being the table containing all the lines separately as a table?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Kingdaro wrote:Midis...I never thought of that actually, that's an awesome idea, and I didn't even know LOVE was that powerful! XD
I don't know about midis.
Kingdaro wrote:Also, another question. How would you go through all the lines in a file using "for i=1, #lines do", "i" being the current line read, and "lines" being the table containing all the lines separately as a table?
This is actually a job for File:lines():

Code: Select all

for line in File:lines() do
    -- do something
end
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Robin wrote:
Kingdaro wrote:Midis...I never thought of that actually, that's an awesome idea, and I didn't even know LOVE was that powerful! XD
I don't know about midis.
Kingdaro wrote:Also, another question. How would you go through all the lines in a file using "for i=1, #lines do", "i" being the current line read, and "lines" being the table containing all the lines separately as a table?
This is actually a job for File:lines():

Code: Select all

for line in File:lines() do
    -- do something
end
Thing is, I've tried this, but I need a way to stop it from repeating, and a way to make it wait a few seconds before going on to the next line. Is "wait()" a valid function? Because when I tried that, the sky-blue screen of death came up.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

Lua provides coroutines for such purposes.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I've gotten around this, and I'm working on note generation from file.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Hey guys, whether you care or not, I'm letting you know the project is still being worked on, and I'm thinking about a new gameplay mechanic, 5 key gameplay with an effects key. (Beatmania IIDX Scratch key sorta thing.)

Also, the notes generation from file is a go, the music being worked on, as well as a custom song editor. (Maybe, it might be a game with songs, or a Stepmania-type engine)
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I've made a completely new engine from the bottom-up based on the old code, it's MUCH better than the old one:

[link to video currently being uploaded...]

The new version will be in the first post.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Updates! New video! Check them out!

Some more screenshots as well.
love 2010-08-19 21-21-21-91.png
love 2010-08-19 21-21-21-91.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 11145 times
love 2010-08-19 21-20-31-88.png
love 2010-08-19 21-20-31-88.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 11145 times
I'm overexcited about this, I'm posting too much XD

Next time I won't post until there's a much bigger update, like much more songs or more features and stuffz.