Platformer Game using PHSYICS!!!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
vrld
Party member

Re: Platformer Game using PHSYICS!!!

Post by vrld »

Great game. Even better when you discover wasd ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

I'm sorry for your loss, but this game has a bad case of the PO2 syndrome.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

Post by TylertheDesigner »

For the sake of you guys being interested in the Love portion, I will upload an alternate version with low res art.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

This is very interesting.. also, this isn't the classic way people see platformers, here I think it very much fits. One note though, you probably want to add a help or something, because it still isn't quite clear to me what certain things do, but hey, at least I did manage to grasp the controls :P.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

I updated it with the final version. For those who previously played it- its better now, and less glitchy
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Problem is it still uses Physics which means it still suffers from the same problem all physics-based platformers suffer from. Floaty controls. The game is pretty hard to play since the controls are way too floaty and fast. Physics does not work for platformers. Or at least for character movement.
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

I agree with Jasoco, Most platformers require the player to have a reflex skill, with the direction and jumping to respond quickly to adapt to a change in an environment.

Its not that we cant make a platform game using LÖVEs physics module, its about tuning it to work well.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

I agree as well, but being as this is a 7 day game challenge, I decided it would be easier to use the built in physics. Also, I added the gravity changing (WASD) as a supplement to the standard controls. This helped alleviate the problem, but it does still persist. If this game is popular enough, I plan on redeveloping it and learning how to do physics code.
VideroBoy
Party member

Post by VideroBoy »

TylertheDesigner wrote:I agree as well, but being as this is a 7 day game challenge, I decided it would be easier to use the built in physics.
On this note, do people suppose it would be worth adding a general-purpose collision detection library into Löve? Something that supports shapes like circles, squares, lines, etc. There'd be something to customize the collision response between two objects such as implementing sliding, or bouncing, or just stopping, or changing the objects in some way like when a bullet hits a ship. It'd be like the physics library, only it doesn't do real physics. This would be useful given how common but potentially complex collision detection can be.

Collision detection and response has always been a pain in the %$# for me. Fixing the collision detection alone in my current game took me almost three weeks. And now I can't figure out how to cleanly extend my collision algorithm to handle a level full of wandering cats.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

VideroBoy wrote:On this note, do people suppose it would be worth adding a general-purpose collision detection library into Löve? Something that supports shapes like circles, squares, lines, etc. There'd be something to customize the collision response between two objects such as implementing sliding, or bouncing, or just stopping, or changing the objects in some way like when a bullet hits a ship. It'd be like the physics library, only it doesn't do real physics. This would be useful given how common but potentially complex collision detection can be.
It would be useful as a library, yes. However, it wouldn't be something that would make it into Löve itself, as it's a very high-level task.