In The Dark

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ryne
Party member

Re: In The Dark

Post by Ryne »

This looks really good, I actually saw a prototype indie game recently with a similar concept where there is a 3D room with movable objects and the shadows are solid, the player is 2D and has to rely on casting shadows in a certain way to complete levels. Good luck!

Edit: I found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb5DjyoD ... r_embedded
@rynesaur
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Ryne wrote: similar concept
Well that concept is very nice but I can't find that so much real similaries between them. In The Dark lacks all that elaborate rotative 3d manipulation concept, cat lives in "real" world the other one lives in an "alternate" world. So "In The Dark" all happens in same world where the other concept there is a bi-directional universe interaction. The only thing that seems to close the projects is that the cat deals with lights and the other character in the opposite deals with shadows (that are a manifestation of light of course). Both concepts are very good but in my opinion not really similar. Thanks for sharing that nice demo.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Reminds me a bit of http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=1, actually.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

heh, it does have some similarities to these other games. My original idea was to make something similar to the demo Ryne linked to. but instead of manipulating the objects from their shadows (too confusing in complex scenes) you would be able to flip between the 3d world to manipulate objects and the shadow 2d world.
I never really got anywhere with it because I suck at programing, so I started thinking about how else you could interact with light and shadow in a physically impossible way thats still easy to understand. I forgot about it for a while, and then came across Löve, and you can see where it went from there.

I haven't posted anything about it yet, but I made some test levels where instead of controlling a character there are ai controlled monsters that you have to get to a goal (think lemmings or world of goo). The mouse becomes a box that can be used to cast shadows and nudge objects around, or act as a platform for the monsters to run across.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

arquivista wrote: Well that concept is very nice but I can't find that so much real similaries between them. In The Dark lacks all that elaborate rotative 3d manipulation concept, cat lives in "real" world the other one lives in an "alternate" world. So "In The Dark" all happens in same world where the other concept there is a bi-directional universe interaction. The only thing that seems to close the projects is that the cat deals with lights and the other character in the opposite deals with shadows (that are a manifestation of light of course). Both concepts are very good but in my opinion not really similar. Thanks for sharing that nice demo.
I think the "In the Dark" game looks great. I meant that the idea is similar, Using non physical objects as physical ones.
arquivista wrote:Thanks for sharing that nice demo.
No problem.
@rynesaur
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

... I want to play that game. :3
Hello, I am not dead.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Any chance of a new video soon?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I have to apologize for the removal of your other topic, there was an ehm.. slight misunderstanding between the members of the moderation team... (in my defense, thelinx was the one who deleted it!)
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

I am a horrible person, and due to a misunderstanding that was completely my fault, I destroyed your thread regarding your kickstarter thing.

Please, accept this picture of a cat as an apology.
so sorry.jpg
so sorry.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

thelinx wrote:Please, accept this picture of a cat as an apology.
No big deal, I guess the intent was to merge it with this thread? if so, heres the link to my kickstarter page, everybody check it out!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esc ... st-bedtime
We're trying to raise money to get this thing done, and we can use any help we can get.
As an added bonus if it is funded I'll be sure to give all the Lövers here a little something extra!