Lovely Zombies

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ryne
Party member

Re: Lovely Zombies

Post by Ryne »

Robin wrote:
I was hoping to add diagonal sprites though It would be a lot of work since I would not only have to create 4 more sprites for each character but I would have to change a lot of the code I'm using now. I do however intend allow the player to move diagonally though it would look odd without the other 4 sprite directions, which is the reason I've left it alone. I may end up creating better sprites so it's on my to-do list to add diagonal-ability to the game.
Perhaps you could alternate the straight ones, for some sort of a zig-zagging effect?
Thats a good Idea, though Adding 4 more sprites would look better since the player/player holding weapon would be looking in the direction of the mouse. As it stands with only 4 directions it may actually look a little weird once I add the guns, but I fully intend to work a lot harder on graphics once the game is "almost" complete.
Robin wrote:
zac352 wrote:Up for 20 hours? :?
You wait until you get to college, young man. :P
(What he said) * 5
@rynesaur
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

I don't think you need to create diagonal movement sprites for the character. Just look at how they did it in paper mario. There's just left and right, but you can still move up and down.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

nevon wrote:I don't think you need to create diagonal movement sprites for the character. Just look at how they did it in paper mario. There's just left and right, but you can still move up and down.
Good point, I guess we will just have to see how the eventual game looks and decide if it would look better with or without. I do want jumping though. I figure platforms would be easy since I could have them coded with the same bounding box code I'm using for the floor and ceiling, except just give them a z value that the play can either jump over, or not. Since the "waves" of zombies will always approach from the right, there needs to be a way to get past some of them or you could never win, so some random platforms (like cubicle debris or something" could aid the player.
@rynesaur
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

Adding in even basic RPG stats or a perk system is a really efficient way to add a lot more fun to games like these. Something like being able to choose some small improvement or new ability every so often keeps the player playing. These systems take relatively little effort to code for how much more playability they bring.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Lap wrote:perk system
+1 for this one. Shooting faster, reloading faster, higher bullet penetration (so you can hit more than one zombie), health regeneration, less recoil, etc.

Man, I want to make this game now. :roll:
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Lap wrote:Adding in even basic RPG stats or a perk system is a really efficient way to add a lot more fun to games like these. Something like being able to choose some small improvement or new ability every so often keeps the player playing. These systems take relatively little effort to code for how much more playability they bring.
I agree. I hope to eventually create a website for this an open it up for sequels as well, I would love to implement a high score system, or a "Most Zombies Killed" and add a user log-in to the game.
nevon wrote:
Lap wrote:perk system
+1 for this one. Shooting faster, reloading faster, higher bullet penetration (so you can hit more than one zombie), health regeneration, less recoil, etc.

Man, I want to make this game now. :roll:

I'm not certain about a "perk" system per-say, though I think the variety of weapons and a basic stats system would be cool. That way even if the player finishes the game they can always replay from their current stats and weapons. I do want to keep it as simple as possible for the time being though, At least until I get my to-do list finished but these are all definite possibilities :)
@rynesaur
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I think replay value is more important than perks or stats. If you do implement them, I hope you KISS: if those things get too complex, it'll kill the fun in playing the game.
nevon wrote:Man, I want to make this game now. :roll:
Talking about making games is like talking about sex. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Robin wrote:I think replay value is more important than perks or stats. If you do implement them, I hope you KISS: if those things get too complex, it'll kill the fun in playing the game.
nevon wrote:Man, I want to make this game now. :roll:
Talking about making games is like talking about sex. ;)
Thats why I would like to keep it to a high score system, there is something so classically appealing about that, so players can look online and say "Holy crap!, Im ranked 15th for Most Zombies Killed!". Speaking of a high score system, is this something that has been done, or is Love even capable of doing?

I was also thinking that each floor could not only be more difficult but also completely different. Each floor could be looked at as a "level" so it would be longer than just the standard screen size. Then once players complete each floor they have the option in the future to replay the floors they have already completed. I think giving players choice like that is another thing that would keep them playing. Not like those static games where you would just restart from the beginning without the ability to save or resume.
@rynesaur
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ryne wrote:Thats why I would like to keep it to a high score system, there is something so classically appealing about that, so players can look online and say "Holy crap!, Im ranked 15th for Most Zombies Killed!". Speaking of a high score system, is this something that has been done, or is Love even capable of doing?
Yes, we even have some libraries for that: Highscöre and my very own SICK (which I think has a simpler and better structured interface).

Online highscore tables are unreliable, though, since you can't eliminate cheating. Ever.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

Robin wrote:I think replay value is more important than perks or stats.
perks = replay value

Here's an example of an extremely simple perk system that took a mediocre game and made it madly addicting.

http://www.crimsonland.com/