What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
tentus
Inner party member

Re: What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by tentus »

"Super Hop on Pop"?

I can't really think of any good names, but I am quite impressed by the game. Good pixel art is always so amazing, especially when using an extremely limited palette.

Just a note, you can reduce your zip size by half if you don't zip the mac files with it. I don't know if macs even show you that they're including extra junk in there, but it's just that- extra junk.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

tentus wrote: Just a note, you can reduce your zip size by half if you don't zip the mac files with it. I don't know if macs even show you that they're including extra junk in there, but it's just that- extra junk.
I ask apologize for Jasoco. You know, us Mac users have the problem that to get ridden of that nasty files the best way is to compress them out of OSX. I usually go to virtual windows only to zip it and correctly package it as LOVE file.

But hey, are you really protesting of the excessive size when zipped file is only 23KB? Do you still have analogic 28.8kbs phone modem? LOL ;)
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Hey, those kb pile up. ^^ I'm a web developer, optimizing things by even a few kb is second nature to me. I know that it doesn't make much difference individually, but it's basically a gut reaction.

To illustrate another one of my neurotic gut reactions, I noticed that his source is indented by a mix of double spaces and tabs. (See lines 3-6 of conf.lua to see the difference.) Replacing all the double spaces with tabs saves a whole kb and makes the source more legibile across platforms. :awesome: It's not a huge deal, but little things like this are good to fix at the start of a project, and not at the end, after someone misinterprets your indentation because four spaces equals one tab in their editor, rather than two.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

tentus wrote:Hey, those kb pile up. ^^ I'm a web developer, optimizing things by even a few kb is second nature to me. I know that it doesn't make much difference individually, but it's basically a gut reaction.

To illustrate another one of my neurotic gut reactions, I noticed that his source is indented by a mix of double spaces and tabs. (See lines 3-6 of conf.lua to see the difference.) Replacing all the double spaces with tabs saves a whole kb and makes the source more legibile across platforms. :awesome: It's not a huge deal, but little things like this are good to fix at the start of a project, and not at the end, after someone misinterprets your indentation because four spaces equals one tab in their editor, rather than two.
You preaching to the wrong guy man! Web is also my life, I try always save the best I can, but in our days of youtube videos with MB turns sometimes to be a bit ridiculous a few kb save. Even JS in Google webpage have more kb than Jasoco zip! ;)
Yah, also I had the paranoia of use tabs even in programming code since for us "spaces" are evil (is always annoying when some unnoticed space in IE made some visual disaster). :S
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

arquivista wrote:I ask apologize for Jasoco. You know, us Mac users have the problem that to get ridden of that nasty files the best way is to compress them out of OSX. I usually go to virtual windows only to zip it and correctly package it as LOVE file.
Can't you use zip, the command line tool, for that? Or would it copy the mac files too?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

ninwa wrote:If you fall to your death right under the last spike and then the spike also hits you lose more than one life.

PS: Looks like this would be a lot of fun! Great work.
I see what you mean and fixed it. It didn't check if the player was dying before killing them again. Now the killPlayer() function will check to make sure he's not already in death transition before killing him. Easy fix. Silly oversight.
Robin wrote:Can't you use zip, the command line tool, for that? Or would it copy the mac files too?
Actually, I don't think the command line version includes that stuff if you tell it not to. I have to look into it.

I want to implement ladders right this time. I have tried to create a game like this many times in many languages (Three!) and always failed when it came to ladders. I think I have the right idea this time.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote:
Robin wrote:Can't you use zip, the command line tool, for that? Or would it copy the mac files too?
Actually, I don't think the command line version includes that stuff if you tell it not to. I have to look into it.
Did a small test. It's annoying and time-consuming. I spent some time looking the switches and didn't found the way of zip all the directory without have to tell all folders and files to zip. Used something like this zip -r test.zip gfx sfx main.lua (2 folders plus one file). Didn't found the right way to zip all files and folders in that directory (zip -r test.zip *.* didn't worked) At least telling what to zip didn't found any finder.dat included. But it's much much faster zip in finder, drag to virtual pc and delete inside finder.dat or drag project folder to virtual pc, delete *.dat, zip it, rename it as love.
Last edited by arquivista on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

This is great! It reminds me of my original gameboy.
For me, everything on the bottom but the player sprite is drawn just above the bar.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

arquivista wrote:
Jasoco wrote:
Did a small test. It's annoying and time-consuming. I spent some time looking the switches and didn't found the way of zip all the directory without have to tell all folders and files to zip. Used something like this zip -r test.zip gfx sfx main.lua (2 folders plus one file). Didn't found the right way to zip all files and folders in that directory (zip -r test.zip *.* didn't worked) At least telling what to zip didn't found any finder.dat included. But it's much much faster zip in finder, drag to virtual pc and delete inside finder.dat or drag project folder to virtual pc, delete *.dat, zip it, rename it as love.
Actually, I used to have an Automator action set up to ZIP (It ran it as a Terminal command) all the files in my Adventure game, rename it to "Adventure.love" and move it to the desktop. I will use that and upload it next time and someone can tell me if it includes the files.

Code: Select all

cd /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love ; zip -r Archive *
mv /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love/Archive.zip ~/Desktop/Adventure.love
Edit: Very interesting. ZIPping with the terminal makes an archive 10KB smaller.

Tell me if this one includes all that junk:
GB.love
Terminally Fresh
(14.13 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Also, I'm implementing ladders right now. Later I'll implement vines to swing across gaps, ropes to walk on or hang from and moving platforms. Also enemies. One step at a time.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Jasoco wrote: Actually, I used to have an Automator action set up to ZIP (It ran it as a Terminal command) all the files in my Adventure game, rename it to "Adventure.love" and move it to the desktop. I will use that and upload it next time and someone can tell me if it includes the files.

Code: Select all

cd /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love ; zip -r Archive *
mv /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love/Archive.zip ~/Desktop/Adventure.love
Edit: Very interesting. ZIPping with the terminal makes an archive 10KB smaller.

Tell me if this one includes all that junk:
GB.love
Also, I'm implementing ladders right now. Later I'll implement vines to swing across gaps, ropes to walk on or hang from and moving platforms. Also enemies. One step at a time.
The junk is gone in your attachment, which would explain why it's 10k smaller. Success!

Out of curioisity, on line 408, why did you use \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n rather than setting the print y coordinate?