What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bmelts
Party member

Re: What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by bmelts »

Adventure World!

This looks great, by the way. Loved the Game Boy growing up (see: my avatar), looking forward to seeing more retro goodness.

Also, as far as Game Boy sound effects go, cfxr, a Mac port of Dr. Petter's awesome sfxr, is probably your best bet. I'd say check out musagi as well, but I never finished porting that to the Mac...
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

tentus wrote:Out of curioisity, on line 408, why did you use \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n rather than setting the print y coordinate?
Laziness and it being temporary so who cares how it is created. Since the font prints exactly 8 pixels.. er 16/2 pixels each it's like printing in DOS.

Which reminds me, why was the font spacing feature removed from image fonts? And why can't nearest filter be applied to image fonts or the whole screen? Would make this a lot easier and a bit smaller in file size. Especially if I could just scale it up 1x, 2x, 3x or 4x without having antialiasing. I just want to scale the screen and have it be nearest neighbor scaling.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Those would both be good things to file feature requests for on our issue tracker. Having them in the system, as opposed to a forum post, makes it a lot more likely they'll get implemented ;)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

anjo wrote:Those would both be good things to file feature requests for on our issue tracker. Having them in the system, as opposed to a forum post, makes it a lot more likely they'll get implemented ;)
It's already there. I'm just voicing my need for the features as well. I look forward to being able to use it eventually.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

You may already be aware but falling objects continue to fall when the level is reloaded, and a player can be killed if he triggers falling block just before entering the exit and then is hit by it while loading the next stage. Also there appears to be a memory leak with falling objects, most definitely related (them not being deleted causing them to exist into the next level.)

Also, if a falling block passes through the area where a player started to jump from before he reaches the other side he is killed, even though the block does not visually hit the player

Lastly, and this may not be a bug, but a player can simply hold space to navigate the various pitfalls without having to time their jumps. They will of course go off a ledge the wrong way if they are not careful. This isn't a bug, but a design decision to be made, and I wasn't sure if it were deliberate.

(This all in "debug" mode.)
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote:
Actually, I used to have an Automator action set up to ZIP (It ran it as a Terminal command) all the files in my Adventure game, rename it to "Adventure.love" and move it to the desktop. I will use that and upload it next time and someone can tell me if it includes the files.

Code: Select all

cd /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love ; zip -r Archive *
mv /Users/jasoco/Documents/Coding\ Projects/LÖVE/Adventure.love/Archive.zip ~/Desktop/Adventure.love
Ahhh! So should be zip -r filename.zip * instead of zip -r filename.zip *.* Old ms-dos habits. Thx for the tip Jasoco.

Well you use automator for zipping and I use automator for RAR files with free commandline RAR. I got some powerful automator scripts that let select at your choice files/dirs in the finder and compress to rar files from context menu (just like zip in finder). And that as I checked it seems not put .files or finder.dat there.

There is a good way to check with terminal if zip goes with "trash files" peeking inside zip file

Code: Select all

unzip -l "$@" archive.zip
BTW Jasoco all the time I play your game remembers me my spectrum "chuckie egg" times! :)
http://www.fraserking.co.uk/spectrum/sc ... ie_Egg.png
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

ninwa wrote:You may already be aware but falling objects continue to fall when the level is reloaded, and a player can be killed if he triggers falling block just before entering the exit and then is hit by it while loading the next stage. Also there appears to be a memory leak with falling objects, most definitely related (them not being deleted causing them to exist into the next level.)
I side effect of last minute addition of falling scenery. They don't get cleared or reset when you die. But I will be making it so when you die, you simply respawn at the room entrance without starting over anyway. Probably. Though then traps that were sprung would be gone the second time and it would lose the fun.. hmm...
Also, if a falling block passes through the area where a player started to jump from before he reaches the other side he is killed, even though the block does not visually hit the player

Lastly, and this may not be a bug, but a player can simply hold space to navigate the various pitfalls without having to time their jumps. They will of course go off a ledge the wrong way if they are not careful. This isn't a bug, but a design decision to be made, and I wasn't sure if it were deliberate.

(This all in "debug" mode.)
I'm probably going to remove jumping. Or at least not use it that much. In fact, I'm going to make it automatic. If you reach a gap that's one tile wide, you will jump across automatically. If you reach a gap that's bigger, you'll simply drop off. I might take it further and have it so you can drop down if you choose to by pressing the action key. Which will be Space, which jumps right now, but won't in the future. Space will climb up one block walls, activate switches, talk to NPC's when they're implemented, etc. I want to make it simple.

I might make it so eventually you find a rope or bridge item and will be able to construct a bridge. I'll also be putting in a climbing action where if you are next to a wall one block high, you will be able to climb it. I plan on making the first few levels tutorials that will make you figure out how to get to the exit through trial and error. For instance, the level I have now teaches you that falling too far by trying to take the short route causes you to die and makes you realize that 3 blocks is fine. 4 blocks is death. So right off the bat you're learning. One level will place blocks in your path and make you figure out how to climb. Not sure yet whether you'll require an item to climb. If so, it'll be available right there at the beginning.

Anyone remember Fire 'n' Ice?

Ladders are now in place.

Edit: Aww, and now I have an adorable little climbing animation and a standing and waving pose. So adorable!
So adorable!
So adorable!
player.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Last edited by Jasoco on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

:D

One thing (you probably already know/might have fixed already): the ladder doesn't disappear in the level transition.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The transition is shitty. I will be replacing it. Ignore it for now. Anyway, here's a new version!

What's new:

Ladders work perfectly. (Almost: Just discovered a humorous bug where if you drop from the top of a ladder, then grab back on, you will not only be rotated but it will remember your fall distance for when you drop the next time causing you to die from short heights. LOL, will fix that tomorrow. Simple fix. Silly oversight.)
Climbing and standing/waving animation.
When on a ladder, if you press left or right you will let go. EVEN if you are high up. So don't unless there's a ledge below.
Jumping is now AUTOMATIC. No more Space to jump. Just walk. If there is one tile width you will jump. Otherwise you will drop down.
When you reach the exit, the little man waves. But I haven't implemented a way to stop you walking, so to see it simply stop in the doorway to watch his cute little wave.

I'm especially proud of his climbing view. So simple yet so adorably detailed. And the wave is to die for. Walking ain't that bad either. Wait until I start drawing the many deaths. IMPALED!
GB.love
Now with ladders and adorable climbing animation!
(14.6 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by Jasoco on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

Jasoco wrote:I'm probably going to remove jumping. Or at least not use it that much. In fact, I'm going to make it automatic. If you reach a gap that's one tile wide, you will jump across automatically. If you reach a gap that's bigger, you'll simply drop off. I might take it further and have it so you can drop down if you choose to by pressing the action key. Which will be Space, which jumps right now, but won't in the future. Space will climb up one block walls, activate switches, talk to NPC's when they're implemented, etc. I want to make it simple.

I might make it so eventually you find a rope or bridge item and will be able to construct a bridge. I'll also be putting in a climbing action where if you are next to a wall one block high, you will be able to climb it. I plan on making the first few levels tutorials that will make you figure out how to get to the exit through trial and error. For instance, the level I have now teaches you that falling too far by trying to take the short route causes you to die and makes you realize that 3 blocks is fine. 4 blocks is death. So right off the bat you're learning. One level will place blocks in your path and make you figure out how to climb. Not sure yet whether you'll require an item to climb. If so, it'll be available right there at the beginning.
You have some great ideas. I'm not entirely sure that you should even have one-spaced gaps if they're going to automatically be jumped, but it does add an interesting element visually, so it's probably okay. I really like the "get items, now able to do this" style progression. It means that you can slowly give your player new tools to beat levels, while increasing the complexity of the levels. Your player will never think that a particularly difficult level is unfair, because you'll have taught them what they know to beat it.

It would be interesting to add things like pressure plates, moving block puzzles, switches, and other gizmos too. I think it would be hard to make a level fun and difficult just utilizing things like jump and climbing, but if you added puzzles it's sort of an abstract level of difficulty. I think there are a lot of puzzle platformers out there already, but the visual style and personality of your game is what makes it compelling to me.

Keep up the great work Jasoco. Just by seeing your stuff around here I know you're a really great programmer. I really look forward to seeing what becomes of this!

Now only to find motivation to finish my own games, hmm. :)