What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:I don't quite follow. I always put stuff in update. I even use a custom Run() function so I can draw stuff in there. In fact, eventually update and draw may be the same function if it lets me optimize the speed even more. It's the way I roll, bay-bee! I optimize over time.
Coding practice… horrible… can't… speak…
Jasoco wrote:My code has no problems. It's not what it looks like on the inside. It's what it looks like on the outside. And my code is a lot easier to understand for me than most peoples coding techniques. And that's all that matters. That I know what it does.
But that's where you're wrong. What it looks like on the inside matters as well. You may know what it does now, but will you in six months?
Jasoco wrote:Also, I like having all my code in one place rather than scattered in functions all over the place when they don't need to be. Saves me time running around clicking the function pop-down (In TextWrangler) to find what I am looking for.
Ctrl+F (or in your case perhaps Command+F)? And if you put things in functions where they make sense, you don't have to think about where they are in the huge love.update. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I still don't really see what you find wrong with my code. I mean, have you seen my Adventure engine? And you never complained about it? This one is nothing compared to that. You're going to have to give me an idea of what you guys expect code to look like. Because most of the time when I look at examples posted on this site, the code is confusing to figure out. In 6 months my code will be as easy to figure out for me as it is now. Can we change the subject? Unless you want to show me an example of what you expect me to do.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:I mean, have you seen my Adventure engine? And you never complained about it?
Not sure about the other fella, but I've seen the Adventure engine, but I haven't read the source.
Jasoco wrote:You're going to have to give me an idea of what you guys expect code to look like.
Most of the time, I do it like you—OK, not completely, I never violate the boundary between love.update and love.draw for minor optimizations. But in the Programming course at university, we learned that a function should usually consist of no more than 7 lines, although that's not a hard law, more like a rule of thumb. Those functions should be logical units of the process, with a descriptive name, like:

Code: Select all

function animate_player_dying(player)
    player.dying_f = player.dying_f - dt --Dying frame advance
    player.rotate = player.rotate + 720 * dt --Rotate player twice per second
    if player.dying_f < 0 then --If the death animation is over... 
        dying_animation_over(player)
    end
end

function dying_animation_over(player)
    player.dying_f = 0 --Reset frame to 0
    player.dying = false --Turn off death
    player.x = 2 --Reset player position
    player.y = 0
    player.rotate = 0 --Reset rotation
    player.jumping = false --In case he was jumping
    player.facing = 0 --Reset facing
    level.time = 90 --Reset level time
    player.idletime = 0 --Reset idle time too
    if player.lives <= 0 then --Make sure player isn't out of lives -- this part should probably be somewhere else, it has nothing to do with the animation
        gamemode = inMenu --If so, return to menu
    end
end
Jasoco wrote:Can we change the subject? Unless you want to show me an example of what you expect me to do.
Oh, I'm all for changing the topic.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Okay. Good. No more talking about my coding techniques. Let's talk about the gameplay. :awesome:
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

It needs moar death, and things that make the level unbeatable, like enemies that just smash your knees with a baseball bat so you can only crawl, not jump.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

8 pixels isn't much to convey knee smashing. He doesn't really have knees. ;)

But more death types are on the way. I am thinking of implementing bear traps like in Limbo that just snap you in two when you walk onto them unless you figure out a way to activate them or dispatch them first. (I'm thinking maybe set off a trap that fires something that lands in the bear trap and makes it go off thus allowing you to pass. All sorts of cool stuff.

I think right now I'll implement spears. And spear shooters. And maybe fireball launchers that fire at your current location requiring you to keep moving.

And I don't want to make it unbeatable. But make it if you accidentally do cause your path to become unpassable, you can still kill yourself. I'm not sure if I want to keep lives in either. Seems these days lives are a thing of the past. (Except in old-school games like Mario and Sonic whom have grown dependent on lives and 1UP's.) But since it's a game in the style of something from 1990, I should keep them for nostalgia I guess. Though make it so it saves a lot and continuing isn't a big-ass deal. Still.. we'll see. I'd like to just remove lives. In fact, I already removed a countdown timer. It now counts up. I guess I'll be able to use that for recording your best time. If I ever have online scoreboards (If I can figure out a way to post to a server with Löve that can't be faked to the point people fill the scoreboard with fake spam scores. This is a conundrum since Löve can be easily "decompiled" -- read: you can unzip the .love file and change the code -- and so it would be hard to protect against faking it.) it'll be nice to keep the total game time. Since I don't know if I'll be adding score since it's not really that kind of game. Rather just a "Survive to the end!" game.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No spears yet. But I did implement GIBS! When the player goes splat, he explodes in a teeny tiny rain storm of blood and gibs. Bouncy ones. I love it. I can watch it over and over. Try it out. Either fall too far or get crushed by the falling spike. (Which right now disappears when it falls. Sorry. Not sure why I did that. I think I might make it get stuck in the ground or disappear after a few seconds. Or explode into pieces too.)

Also new is the idle animation. Wait a few seconds to watch it. So adorable.
GB.love
Now with Gibs!
(16.19 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

GB.love
Now with GiBs!
Jasoco wrote:
Also new is the idle animation. Wait a few seconds to watch it. So adorable.
Yes i'ts cute and well done since the small size!!! :)
However I fell the ZZZZ part could be improved a bit. You seem to only animating the ZZZ in right-top area of the char. What about using a little more space on the left and doing a more "S" path movement or ZZZ fading in your 4 pallete colors?
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Me likes them! :3

The falling-to-death thing should be changed a bit, though, because now it looks like it lands softly on the ground and then explodes in an unrelated but near-simultaneous accident. In real life, things crush before they break. ;)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The Z's were in an arc pattern but I made them straighter. Dunno.

The death animations will need some extra frames of course.

I need to put in some transition animations for when he gets up or when he dies or when he jumps down a ledge and when he jumps across a gap. There's a lot of work to do of course. It's still a prototype right now. I also want to give him freedom of movement and not just tile-based.

I just put in a running feature where if you walk for a while you start running, and if you get to a ledge and don't stop you will jump off like if you were jumping across a 1 tile gap. Even if there's nothing on the other side. Makes it seem like "Oh, shit! I didn't stop!" as you plummet to your death. Running will be used in later levels where you'll want to make it down a corridor with falling traps all along the cieling. Like in Mario when you need to run a gauntlet of Thwomps. It'll be designed so if you just walk, you won't make it. But if you run all the time, you also won't make it.

I'm also working on making jumps follow an arc. When you jump, the game will calculate the path you will take from your start point to where your feet will hit the ground. Then it will move the player along that path. By doing this it'll make jumps look more natural.