What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote:
Anyone remember Fire 'n' Ice?
Played a lot first Salomon's key. Didn't knew there was a follow-up. So, are you turning this game to less plataformer and add a bit more of "puzzler" like Solomon's then...

BTW I remember that I liked a lot SK. Spent some nice hours playing ZX Spectrum port.

EDITED: I like the new "auto-jump"
EDITED: I liked even more the "wave" at end level
ninwa wrote: Now only to find motivation to finish my own games, hmm. :)
Yah, that samurai still don't do much ;D
Last edited by arquivista on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

See, as I said, gaps will be either jumpable, or you'll be able to drop down. So it'll allow me to have more freedom in level design. And it does give it more visual niceness. And I like imagining him standing at the edge saying, "I can make it!" and jumping with all his might. Notice how he pauses when he gets to an edge like he's thinking about things for a second? Like he's either "Whoa. I almost fell off!" or "I think I can do it!"

No, it won't be a full puzzle. It will have puzzles. But the platforming aspects will be more like Solomon/Fire 'n' Ice (Which is what SK2 was called in the US).

I will be adding switches, and movable objects, pushable blocks (Like SK2/FnI) and such, moving platforms, all sorts of stuff. Not to mention many traps and enemies. I can't wait to have spears fire out of a wall and impale you against the next one. THAT will be awesome. But let's not rush things. I usually start out trying to make everything and get frustrated. I want to start slow with this one.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

Jasoco wrote:See, as I said, gaps will be either jumpable, or you'll be able to drop down. So it'll allow me to have more freedom in level design. And it does give it more visual niceness.

No, it won't be a full puzzle. It will have puzzles. But the platforming aspects will be more like Solomon/Fire 'n' Ice (Which is what SK2 was called in the US).

I will be adding switches, and movable objects, pushable blocks (Like SK2/FnI) and such, moving platforms, all sorts of stuff. Not to mention many traps and enemies. I can't wait to have spears fire out of a wall and impale you against the next one. THAT will be awesome. But let's not rush things. I usually start out trying to make everything and get frustrated. I want to start slow with this one.
I just watched the video of FnI you linked. Very cool gameplay. Very nicely polished game. I've never quiet seen anything like that before and I really love it! Sweet stuff.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote: No, it won't be a full puzzle. It will have puzzles. But the platforming aspects will be more like Solomon/Fire 'n' Ice (Which is what SK2 was called in the US).

Hmm, a bit of Chuckie Egg meets Salomons and Sokoban. What about move blocks/kill mobs in Pengo style?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Thanks for the support and kind words everyone! If anyone has any 8-bit GB sounding sound effects that might fit this game, I'd love to have some. Simple things like falling objects, crashing, some death sounds, dropping from a ledge, climbing and walking, opening a door. Other stuff that might fit.

Time for bed. Way too late.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote:Thanks for the support and kind words everyone! If anyone has any 8-bit GB sounding sound effects that might fit this game, I'd love to have some. Simple things like falling objects, crashing, some death sounds, dropping from a ledge, climbing and walking, opening a door. Other stuff that might fit.
Try this one:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9076

Also I do very fast my 8bit kind of sound with CFXR (MAC)
http://thirdcog.eu/apps/cfxr

Suggestion: You could add some Boulder Dash kind of more massive falling blocks.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

arquivista wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Thanks for the support and kind words everyone! If anyone has any 8-bit GB sounding sound effects that might fit this game, I'd love to have some. Simple things like falling objects, crashing, some death sounds, dropping from a ledge, climbing and walking, opening a door. Other stuff that might fit.
Try this one:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9076

Also I do very fast my 8bit kind of sound with CFXR (MAC)
http://thirdcog.eu/apps/cfxr

Suggestion: You could add some Boulder Dash kind of more massive falling blocks.
Here's what CFXR is based off of: http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/

Really great little utility for quick sound mockups!
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

ninwa wrote:
arquivista wrote:
Here's what CFXR is based off of: http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/
Yep it's based on SFXR, but as Jasoco is like me on Mac i posted instead the OSX port. Sorry for that. Both were already in Wiki resources
http://code.google.com/p/sfxr/
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I downloaded that last night and it doesn't work well for me. It's too confusing to figure out what to do to make it do what I want it to sound like.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Jasoco wrote:I downloaded that last night and it doesn't work well for me. It's too confusing to figure out what to do to make it do what I want it to sound like.
Well, I didn't saw that one coming! I thought that like ninwa notice you would find it very simple and straightfoward to quickly produce sounds.

Imagine that you want sounds for your player jumping. You just need to press the button "Jump", as you see (actually listen) the app produce a random sound (that are close to that ones used when player jumps) for you and adds it to the left list of produced sounds. If you like it but feels that sound could somehow be a bit tweaked just play a bit with the central area till found the right mood. As you see sliders are realtime and you keep listening the sound. If you want to listen the current sound without change it just press "Play". When things good just export it as WAV.

If otherwise you didn't like it you should press again and again "jump" button till you get one that you like. As you see it continues to fill and keep them at the left list of sounds so you can return/browse the produced sounds at anytime. The top buttons Square, Sine,noise etc changes dramatically the sound so only press that ones if want to do a radical change to that sound. Changing slightly any slider is like "touching" to feel if that slider will produce the sound right like you want. If don't, just mess with another sliders till feel that one will improve your sound.

This is a quick system of produce sounds till you get one you likes, tweak a bit if you want (some time experience with the sliders will let you start to find sounds even quicker).

I usually press several times in pretended sound, app keeps producing sounds and then I browse them in the list of sounds produced at left and tweak a bit the ones I like. You can "del" the sounds you don't like, keep collecting interesting sounds and then export them later. Also you can "Save" that recover the session of sounds already produced to continue play with them another time.
Last edited by arquivista on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.