L-Type, Shoot 'em Up

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

L-Type, Shoot 'em Up

Post by Lafolie »

Hello, here is a project I've been toying with for the past few days. It is a shooter inspired by R-Type, Gradius, U.N. Squadron, etc. Constructive comments and criticisms are very much welcome.

WASD or Arrows to move.
k or x to shoot.

Destroy rocks for powerups:

Blue - Double Shot
Green - Rapid Fire
Yellow - 1UP
Red - Crush

Butterflies are worth 100-200 points, depending on their velocity (aim for the yellow ones ;) ). Penguins are worth 500 and Sharks are worth 1000, but both take three shots to kill.

All graphics are place-holders, power-ups and whatnot to follow.

https://bitbucket.org/Lafolie/l-type
Attachments
ltype_update.love
(356.08 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Last edited by Lafolie on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Re: L-Type, Shoot 'em Up

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Really promising !
keep up the good work ^^
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Very cool! I really like everything you have so far. Though, perhaps the movement is a little too floaty?
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Thank you.

All the movement values and points are temporary. Everything in the game now is filler for testing and developing. So with regards to the movement, it's not a huge issue right now. Besides, space is a very floaty place indeed.

I have posted an updated version that features some new visual cues, including an indicator for whenever you earn points.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Lafolie wrote:Besides, space is a very floaty place indeed.
haha true. I guess I prefer the more traditional, Japanese style of very precise movement, as opposed to the so-called "euroshmup" style that typically has movement more like this :)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Yes. While I do like the odd bullet-hell game, this isn't one of them. As mentioned, my ideas are inspired by shooters where placement, score and how much you can destroy are the objectives instead of dodging hundreds of on-screen projectiles. Not that there won't be the odd section with plenty of fire.

Posted an updated version that includes a grace period when you get hit and the penguins will now fire at you.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Lafolie wrote:Yes. While I do like the odd bullet-hell game, this isn't one of them. As mentioned, my ideas are inspired by shooters where placement, score and how much you can destroy are the objectives instead of dodging hundreds of on-screen projectiles. Not that there won't be the odd section with plenty of fire.

Posted an updated version that includes a grace period when you get hit and the penguins will now fire at you.
I didn't mean bullet hell games, but yeah :)

I'm very interested in following the progress of this, as it seems like it's off to a good start (and also because I've been interested in making a shmup, though that's a lesser reason). Do you have any graphics style/setting in mind? Also, how do you think you'll be handling level design (e.g. timeline spawning, distance based, random, etc...)?
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

For this project I want to stay away from anything like a "map". Tending towards a semi-randomised series of stages at the moment. This temporary stuff revolves around score.

Update posted, you can now break open rocks to obtain power-ups. Pew pew! :ultraglee:
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I posted an updated version with a few tweaks and bugfixes. I'm currently considering ways to create a more elegant means of interaction between entities and a visual direction to take the game in.

If you download the game please consider posting your thoughts if you wish to see more :neko: