Paper Evolution - Nordic Game Jam 2011 Finalist

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lukasz
Prole

Paper Evolution - Nordic Game Jam 2011 Finalist

Post by Lukasz »

Hi Lovers

I attended Nordic Game Jam 2011 (part of Global Game Jam) along with Matias Billeschou (graphics) and Simon Leander Mikkelsen (game design). At the jam we met and teamed up with Anders Monrad (sound). The theme was extinction.

Our game is called Paper Evolution and is puzzle game about erasing lines in a 2D platform environment so our hero is able to to advance through the ages and avoid extinction. We were 1 of 12 finalists chosen out of about 50 games.

PaperEvolution.love - Works with latest revision of LÖVE. Crashes after a while in LÖVE 0.7.0

Global Game Jam site - Mac OS X binary available at the moment. Please vote/comment :)

GitHub

Let us know what you think :)
Last edited by Lukasz on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Paper Evolution - Nordic Game Jam 2011 Finalist

Post by nevon »

It looks cool, but I found using the eraser to be incredibly confusing. I would just frantically click on every line, and sometimes I would get lucky and manage to erase something - but most of the time the guy would just walk into a plant.
Lukasz
Prole

Post by Lukasz »

I should probably explain that you need to hold the left mouse button down above the line and then drag the eraser below the line and then release the mouse button. Thereby "drawing" a line you where you want to erase.

We realize that this is not the most intuitive mechanism and something we might address in an update to the game.
Last edited by Lukasz on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Lukasz wrote:I should probably explain that you need to hold the right mouse button down above the line and then drag the eraser below the line and then release the mouse button. Thereby "drawing" a line you where you want to erase.

We realize that this is not the most intuitive mechanism and something we might address in an update to the game.
Oh... That's interesting. I just left clicked wildly. I wonder how I managed to erase some lines? I must have accidentally right clicked.
Lukasz
Prole

Post by Lukasz »

Sorry, I meant left click. Still havn't fully recovered from the lack of sleep in the weekend :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The same as nevon said: cool, but a bit frustrating. Even dragging the mouse didn't help. And vertical lines -- I never got those erased. Also, the game suddenly crashed (I guess a segfault or something) when I was dragging the mouse for a longer distance, and it left my screen in an undesirable state (this is why I hate full-screen games).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lukasz
Prole

Post by Lukasz »

Are you guys playing on Windows?

The game hasn't been tested on Windows and I had issues with keyboard input in our other game Dave Gone Apeshit, so I guessing the are differences with mouse input between Windows and Mac OS X in this game as well. I will probably look into this issue sometime this week and post a fixed version :)

The crash with LÖVE 0.7.0 is a known issue. On the Global Game Jam website there is a link to a Mac OS X version of the game that should work correctly. It includes a version of LÖVE that I built from the source code yesterday and in which I have not encountered the bug while testing.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Lukasz wrote:Are you guys playing on Windows?
Nope, Linux.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lukasz
Prole

Post by Lukasz »

Robin wrote:
Lukasz wrote:Are you guys playing on Windows?
Nope, Linux.
Thanks for the bug report. I will test on Linux as well :)