Break out clone.

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
chris
Prole

Break out clone.

Post by chris »

Hi :D I'm going to show you my first love project evah :D
--boring talk skip if you're buzy
But firstly, I want to thank the makers of Love for their great Framework. Without Love I was still searching for a game engine/multimedia library suiting my needs. Long, long ago, I used Game Maker to make games. But then I switched to Linux. Guess what?? :O Game maker doesnt work on Linux. And it became very commercial too. After that I tried out: Allegro, SDL, SFML, Game maker again, Love (but hey, couldnt protect my source :') ), pyGame

From this period I learned: C and C++ are languages that seem far easier than what they are in practice. That's all. I dont have a game to show or something. Only a game engine that rendered 2 images but now has a segmentation fault.

And then I rediscovered love. I found out that Lua was the coolest language in the world. You only have to learn what tables are. And you must install middleClass. All cool things I tried out in C++ and didnt work there because it wasnt proper syntax worked in Lua as not-the-worsed code. (still too much globals, but who cares, the game runs)
-- end of talk
And so I started programming a game. With one rule in my mind: just make the game. And well, thanks to love and lua, I have a game to show :D There were almost no problems I came across, so almost no delay in developing.

It's just a basic break-out clone, with 4 different blocks (one not yet implented) 2 items, and some music/art. 5 levels currently.
The balls movement aint very good (just: if ball.box:collidesWith(brick.box) then ball.xto = otherside) But in another project I allready implented the game maker style direction and speed system, so I may once implent that in this game too.

One problem in the game:
If you hit a brick, there plays a sound. It should. But sometimes, it doesnt play the sound :/ I looked through the source, but couldnt find the cause. Maybe someone else can take a look? (most code regarding sound is in the objects.lua file)
Attachments
break_out.love
Da Game :D
(5.43 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Break out clone.

Post by thelinx »

Interesting art style, but forced full screen is a bit of an annoyance.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

In the menu and exit, also on first few times of trying to open it it just songs no app, this was on x64 win 7.
also add a pause menu so ecape does not end the game.

Also the bar/paddle add some kind of maths so if its less then 50% the ball knows its under the paddle I was able
still make the ball go back up this shouldn't happen as its under the paddle part from that kool app :neko:
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

thelinx wrote:Interesting art style, but forced full screen is a bit of an annoyance.
Fullscreen is a good thing but needs to be fine tuned and better menu.
Sir Kittenface

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
chris
Prole

Post by chris »

What isnt good about my full-screen mode?

The only down-sides I can come up with are that I always use a 1280*1024 screen, and scale that to the real display size. So if your resolution is lower than 1280*1024, the graphics card is somewhat bloated for nothing, and if your display is bigger than 1280*1024, it's somewhat stretched indeed. But I couldnt come up with a better solution to handle resolutions while keeping my code maintainable. (and no full-screen mode is no option, the games mood is is better expressed in full-screen)

Nevertheless, I will add a windowed mode option in the menu soon. Have to draw a new button :P
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

chris wrote:What isnt good about my full-screen mode?

The only down-sides I can come up with are that I always use a 1280*1024 screen, and scale that to the real display size. So if your resolution is lower than 1280*1024, the graphics card is somewhat bloated for nothing, and if your display is bigger than 1280*1024, it's somewhat stretched indeed. But I couldnt come up with a better solution to handle resolutions while keeping my code maintainable. (and no full-screen mode is no option, the games mood is is better expressed in full-screen)

Nevertheless, I will add a windowed mode option in the menu soon. Have to draw a new button :P
Keep up the good work and keep is in the loop :)
Sir Kittenface

Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

chris wrote:One problem in the game:
If you hit a brick, there plays a sound. It should. But sometimes, it doesnt play the sound :/ I looked through the source, but couldnt find the cause. Maybe someone else can take a look? (most code regarding sound is in the objects.lua file)
I would humbly suggest using TEsound, which was made to fix problems like that.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
DigGaN
Prole

Post by DigGaN »

Would like an option to controll pad with keyboard also, not only mouse.

Other than that, great work :) Special style that I liked.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

chris wrote:What isnt good about my full-screen mode?
The thing is, full screen comes on a bit strong: you can't do anything else while the game is running, it has a chance of messing up your resolution... for a quick, casual look at a game downloaded from a forum, it is too dramatic and forceful.

You might want to make windowed mode the default, especially for games that are not epically huge.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

DigGaN wrote:Would like an option to controll pad with keyboard also, not only mouse.

Other than that, great work :) Special style that I liked.
Yes I would like option to use keyboard or mouse also that be fun
Sir Kittenface