Volley Brawl is for sale in the USC

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Volley Brawl is for sale in the USC

Post by nevon »

So, as many of those of you who hang out in #love know, Volley Brawl is now for sale in the Ubuntu Software Center as one of 7 commercial games in there. Me and bartbes have been working on it on and off for about a year (with roughly a 10 month break in between :crazy:), so we're really pleased to finally see it released (God I want to work on something different now! Pretty please...?)

If you're running Ubuntu, you can check it out in the Software Center's paid section, where it's priced at $2.99. Buying it through there gives you access to a .love file that you can then copy over to non-Ubuntu systems like any other Löve game. Unfortunately we can't currently offer it for sale to other distributions. So far we've been reviewed very well.

If you have any questions about selling software through the USC, just ask. If you're interested in selling your software, we can probably hook you up with Ohso, our publisher. Obviously they'll take a cut, but their help has definitely been worth it. They've done a great job marketing the game, yelling at us when things are broken, handling relations with Canonical, taking care of the business side, and making sure that we fix things that we would otherwise have left semi-broken.

Right now we're obviously just rolling in imaginary dough, but soon we'll get back to working on additional content, as we plan to release free content updates. I just wanted to put this out there to show that it's perfectly possible to release commercial games written in Löve.
miko
Party member

Re: Volley Brawl is for sale in the USC

Post by miko »

nevon wrote:So, as many of those of you who hang out in #love know, Volley Brawl is now for sale in the Ubuntu Software Center as one of 7 commercial games in there.
Congratulations! I wish you luck! Your success will mean more love users and developers ;)
nevon wrote: Buying it through there gives you access to a .love file that you can then copy over to non-Ubuntu systems like any other Löve game.
Does it mean that Ubuntu have love preinstalled, and .love extension is associated with it? What happens to a game when love is upgraded to a newer (incompatible) version? I don't run Ubuntu, but I wonder how it works from the user perspective.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
nevon

Post by nevon »

miko wrote:
nevon wrote: Buying it through there gives you access to a .love file that you can then copy over to non-Ubuntu systems like any other Löve game.
Does it mean that Ubuntu have love preinstalled, and .love extension is associated with it? What happens to a game when love is upgraded to a newer (incompatible) version? I don't run Ubuntu, but I wonder how it works from the user perspective.
Natty (Ubuntu 11.04) has 0.7.1 in the repos already, so there we just have to set a dependency and we're all done. For Maverick, we had to clone the love package from bartbes' repo into our commercial repository, so that the dependency could be resolved.

Hopefully the Löve api will be stable enough in coming versions that keeping version compatibility will be easy. If not, we'll have to create merged binaries with whatever version of Löve we're sticking with, and push out that as an update. That way the version of Löve used for Volley Brawl will be frozen even if the user installs a more recent version.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hey, I read this while commuting this morning and then forgot to say congrats.

So, hey, congrats!
When I write def I mean function.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

nevon wrote:For Maverick, we had to clone the love package from bartbes' repo into our commercial repository, so that the dependency could be resolved.
Actually, I took the the natty package, changed the target distro and re-uploaded it.

As for getting out of sync, I guess we could repackage the specific love version we need under a different name.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

pressing "buy now" links to http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/voll ... ick-natty/

there's a delete function for http://love2d.org/wiki/Volley_Brawl . or you could just link to the game page? it's still a love game, isn't it?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
nevon

Post by nevon »

bartbes wrote:As for getting out of sync, I guess we could repackage the specific love version we need under a different name.
That also occurred to me. That might be a better approach.
qubodup wrote:pressing "buy now" links to http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/voll ... ick-natty/

there's a delete function for http://love2d.org/wiki/Volley_Brawl . or you could just link to the game page? it's still a love game, isn't it?
It's being sold through the Ubuntu Software Store, which has no web front-end. So for lack of a better way to link to it, they're linking to the release announcement.

As for linking directly to the game; you don't think that would make the whole "selling" bit problematic? ;)
Last edited by nevon on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

hmm, is this somehow related to project bossanova??
http://www.moddb.com/news/introducing-p ... usive-game
Dull but sincere filler.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:As for linking directly to the game; you don't think that would make the whole "selling" bit problematic? ;)
You could link to the release announcement?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

StoneCrow wrote:hmm, is this somehow related to project bossanova??
Although that's supported by Ohso too, we were first :P, but more importantly we're not in 3D.