Game Jam- Succession Round

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

Re: Game Jam- Succession Round

Post by TylertheDesigner »

bartbes wrote: But.. but.. but.. then I only get to dump in a couple of classes! In that case I might as well make them impossible to work with :crazy:.
Two possibilities here- We reverse the order after everyone gets a turn, leaving you to be the first and last...
Or, we try to translate the obfuscated craziness you unleash upon us.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Now thinking about, if we either have the first dev saying "this is how it's going to be done", or we have short turns so that rewrites are made pretty stupid, it may well be a fun thing. After all, you don't have to subject yourself to wallowing in someone else's code if you don't want to.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

BlackBulletIV wrote:Now thinking about, if we either have the first dev saying "this is how it's going to be done", or we have short turns so that rewrites are made pretty stupid, it may well be a fun thing. After all, you don't have to subject yourself to wallowing in someone else's code if you don't want to.
On that topic, it is of my opinion that both of these should be true. The "Game Jam Host", or first to go, makes the general design documentation that everyone will follow. That is not to say that they make all of the design decisions from the first turn, more of a general guideline for the game.

And as for turn length, I would like to propose 48 hours to keep it in the spirit of a regular game jam. However, that may leave certain folks with 2 days out of the week that don't work very well for them... so we could adopt a system where every person can hold the game for up to a week, and are expected to only work two days on it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

An easy way would be to use a public repo (duh) and don't allow large commits, that way we can be sure that the work has only been done in the timespan the commits show.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I usually see the number of bytes as an alternative way of measuring progress.

(example)The project must change hands if:
  • 2 days pass
  • 20 KB of (uncompressed) .lua code are written (you are allowed to finish it up so the game works, but not to add more functionality after that)
  • 500 KB of graphics/sound are added

Whatever happens first.
When I write def I mean function.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

kikito wrote: (example)The project must change hands if:
  • 2 days pass
  • 20 KB of (uncompressed) .lua code are written (you are allowed to finish it up so the game works, but not to add more functionality after that)
  • 500 KB of graphics/sound are added
Whatever happens first.
While I agree with your logic, I disagree with this solution. The problem is that certain types of content can create large sizes without much content. For example, if we make a tile based game, and someone uses Tiled or its ilk to make some maps, those maps may hit 50kb in a matter of hours. On the flip of that coin, I could add 10-20 features to the game that are simple 5-6 line functions, thus vastly changing the game with a little impact on its size.

A good example of the time limit would be the Experimental Gameplay Project http://experimentalgameplay.com/. You are expected to only work up to 7 days in the month on your project. They do not have any way of judging this, it is a simple honor system.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

Sorry to double post, but the content is entirely different...

I posted this on TIGSource as well, and I expect many of you are also members. We are currently doing a poll on there as to which framework to use. Currently, Lua is winning. If it wins, I expect that we will be doing a LOVE game for their jam. It would be a good time for the LOVE forums and TIGForums to collaborate.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18847.0