Rogue Fleet - Space Survival Strategy Roguelike

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
DarkFarmer
Prole

Rogue Fleet - Space Survival Strategy Roguelike

Post by DarkFarmer »

Hey Everybody, I have been a terrible LÖVE community member, lurking here for years but never really saying anything, but don't hold it against my game.

This was made for the 7 day roguelike jam this year but I kind of kept going with it because I really was having too much fun making it. :awesome:

it is pretty hard core in terms of being a little bit difficult to get started with, but I have a bunch of YT videos to help kind of explain the game if you're intrigued, but still stuck.

Everything is on this site

https://sites.google.com/site/roguefleet/

Feedback is appreciated.

Love,
-darkfarmer
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Re: Rogue Fleet - Space Survival Strategy Roguelike

Post by SoggyWaffles »

Seems pretty cool. But 2 quick things: the file I downloaded said it was a .pdf (might just be my browser being stupid) i dropped the .pdf and it worked fine with love. Second is that the window is wider than my native resolution, by a fair margin. I have a fairly common resolution setting at 1440X900. I don't have no fancy huge ass monitor or anything. Because of that, I didn't play it much (30 seconds of hitting random keys) but keep it up!
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
DarkFarmer
Prole

Post by DarkFarmer »

Thanks for the feedback Waffles, I think the PDF thing should now be fixed.

My fix for the fact that not everybody has 1600 wide res is going to be to make the game 1366 wide instead. However this requires me re-working my text display code since it does not work right now at that res.
DarkFarmer
Prole

Post by DarkFarmer »

Aaaaaand the width is now 1366. Much more manageable for EVERYBODY, not just those with narrow monitors.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Damn, mine is 1280x1024 >.<
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
DarkFarmer
Prole

Post by DarkFarmer »

That is a narrow resolution, brother! You should still be able to play though. just scoot the screen kind of into the middle of your desktop and it should be legible and totally playable.

Update coming soon, with -TECH LABS-
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

DarkFarmer wrote:Thanks for the feedback Waffles, I think the PDF thing should now be fixed.

My fix for the fact that not everybody has 1600 wide res is going to be to make the game 1366 wide instead. However this requires me re-working my text display code since it does not work right now at that res.
You should really try to make the screen resolution "dynamic". If you already changed it from 1600 to 1366 then why not change it to dynamic screen resolution?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
vitaminx
Citizen

Post by vitaminx »

you could do roughly like this:
- make your code check for resolutions available on the system and choose the best one (biggest one)
- render everything on a canvas instead of directly blitting it to the screen
- scale the canvas to the desired window size
- then blit to screen
DarkFarmer
Prole

Post by DarkFarmer »

@vitaminx Fullscreen toggle basically does exactly that, and fullscreen toggle will be in a release coming soon.

@germanukol My text box (on the right) does not adapt itself to the resolution of the screen and it is the problem with offering multiple resolutions. How to properly display text will be a question that would be answered if a "retail" version of Rogue Fleet is to be made. These days, you cant just waste half the screen with a permanent text box in a real game. Dredmor has a top of screen text box that is kinda small, Rogue Fleet has more verbose messages than that I think, but maybe I just need to make my text really small. Not sure yet. I'll cross this bridge if I come to it.

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it.

https://sites.google.com/site/roguefleet/
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

You don't really need a canvas, you could just use the graphics transformation functions such as love.graphics.scale.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.