Commies!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Commies!

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

This is my first game for LÖVE. It's currently in Alpha but is very playable. The objective of the game is to kill commies and stay alive. Below are some screenshots as well as a link to game's page on my website. Any feedback is appreciated!

Download: http://nikolairesokav.com/?page_id=68
Last edited by Nikolai Resokav on Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Commies!

Post by Lafolie »

This game is awesome! Although it crashed once when I got the highscores entry :(

The gameplay is really solid feeling, besides being fun. You need a button to quit back to the menu during gameplay though. And a pause button would be nice. Escape and Enter maybe?
The different bombs are quite well balanced and I love all the particley effecty things going on, it's neat.

Also, it's given me some ideas for my survival game :D

Please, oh please tell me you haven't got anyone working on audio for this. I really wanna do a soundtrack for it! Something like Red Alert/Metro 2033 maybe? Brings to mind the Red Army National Anthem as well, obviously haha. Something to complement the visual theme and 'kill the commies' idea. But yeah... I would jump at the chance to do the sound design for you, music and sounds.

Edit: Yeah.... it crashes each time it goes to the highscores. Something to do with opening a highscores file? Oh, and looking at the code on github I see that there is pause. Awesome. The problem there is that the game doesn't present the controls to the player. Adding a menu or or just the basic gameplay controls to the About screen would be handy :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Lafolie wrote:This game is awesome!

Wow! Thanks! I didn't actually expect that anyone would like it being my first game and all.
Lafolie wrote: Please, oh please tell me you haven't got anyone working on audio for this. I really wanna do a soundtrack for it! Something like Red Alert/Metro 2033 maybe? Brings to mind the Red Army National Anthem as well, obviously haha. Something to complement the visual theme and 'kill the commies' idea. But yeah... I would jump at the chance to do the sound design for you, music and sounds.
That would be fantastic! I'm no good with sounds or anything other than coding for that matter, so I would love to have you contribute. Just send me a pm and we can talk more!
Lafolie wrote: Edit: Yeah.... it crashes each time it goes to the highscores. Something to do with opening a highscores file?

Really? Hmm thats very strange as I can access the high scores just fine. What operating system/LÖVE version are you on?
Lafolie wrote: Oh, and looking at the code on github I see that there is pause. Awesome. The problem there is that the game doesn't present the controls to the player. Adding a menu or or just the basic gameplay controls to the About screen would be handy :)
Thanks for the suggestion! I will add a controls section to the about menu in the next release.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Awesome it is.
Nikolai Resokav wrote:
Lafolie wrote: Edit: Yeah.... it crashes each time it goes to the highscores. Something to do with opening a highscores file?

Really? Hmm thats very strange as I can access the high scores just fine. What operating system/LÖVE version are you on?
It works for me as well, it's all Lafolie's fault! :P
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Does this help some? I Noticed that there's a few *s next to love.filesystem-related lines (no idea what that means).

Code: Select all

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000000c
Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.yourcompany.physfs        	0xb000229f PHYSFS_fileLength + 6
1   org.love2d.love               	0x0003f50d love::filesystem::physfs::File::getSize() + 45
2   org.love2d.love               	0x0003de8d love::filesystem::physfs::Filesystem::read(lua_State*) + 81
3   org.love2d.love               	0x0003ef47 love::filesystem::physfs::w_read(lua_State*) + 32
4   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00604623 luaD_precall + 890
5   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x0061b5f7 luaV_execute + 7461
6   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00604895 luaD_call + 165
7   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x005fa145 f_call + 48
8   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00603aba luaD_rawrunprotected + 73
9   com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00604c04 luaD_pcall + 99
10  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x005fa1ea lua_pcall + 163
11  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x005ffcfd luaB_xpcall + 104
12  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00604623 luaD_precall + 890
13  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x0061b5f7 luaV_execute + 7461
14  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x00604895 luaD_call + 165
15  com.yourcompany.Lua           	0x005fa0eb lua_call + 67
16  org.love2d.love               	0x0002fa20 SDL_main + 452
17  org.love2d.love               	0x00088b41 -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:] + 95
18  com.apple.Foundation          	0x900414df _nsnote_callback + 176
19  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x9504b793 __CFXNotificationPost + 947
20  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x9504b19a _CFXNotificationPostNotification + 186
21  com.apple.Foundation          	0x90036384 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 128
22  com.apple.Foundation          	0x90043789 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:] + 56
23  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90c6f422 -[NSApplication _postDidFinishNotification] + 125
24  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90c6f332 -[NSApplication _sendFinishLaunchingNotification] + 74
25  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90e88b91 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleAEOpenDocumentsForURLs:] + 975
26  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90dc6194 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleCoreEvent:withReplyEvent:] + 236
27  com.apple.Foundation          	0x900767a4 -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 511
28  com.apple.Foundation          	0x90076568 _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 228
29  com.apple.AE                  	0x90608f58 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 166
30  com.apple.AE                  	0x90608e57 dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 43
31  com.apple.AE                  	0x90608d61 aeProcessAppleEvent + 197
32  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x9090e389 AEProcessAppleEvent + 50
33  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90c3f9ca _DPSNextEvent + 1420
34  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90c3efce -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 156
35  com.apple.AppKit              	0x90c01247 -[NSApplication run] + 821
36  org.love2d.love               	0x000893bb main + 1887
37  org.love2d.love               	0x0002f6f2 start + 54
And I'll start playing with some audio.
Last edited by Lafolie on Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Thanks Lafolie, I'll have a look at that error when I get home today.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Nikolai Resokav wrote:
Lafolie wrote:This game is awesome!

Wow! Thanks! I didn't actually expect that anyone would like it being my first game and all.
I like it too ;)
Nikolai Resokav wrote:

I know nothing about AppleOS, but that exclamation mark in a (directory) name looks suspicious. I would change t.identity from "Commies!" to "Commies" in conf.lua.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

miko wrote: I know nothing about AppleOS, but that exclamation mark in a (directory) name looks suspicious. I would change t.identity from "Commies!" to "Commies" in conf.lua.
OS X usually handles 'funny' characters in filenames quite well, but I'll change it and see what happens.

Also: gonna have some food and then work on some music for this.

EDIT: That fixed nothing. Also, this game doesn't seem to run under SELÖVE....
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Apologies for the double post.

I spent a few hours coming up with a sort of concept song for the game. Not sure whether I like it or not. It's no-where near finished, it needs mixing, the synths need some more work, there's layers yet to be recorded (such a guitar part) and I wanna use some samples too.

But um.... yeah, it gives an overview of the musical style it's heading towards? I didn't do any sound effects yet though. And of course this is the just the first of a few songs I'll do for the game. Perhaps this one won't even be used, I'm not sure whether it's good enough. We'll see how it turns out.

I hacked the song into the game anyway. It's basic but it's in there.
Last edited by Lafolie on Sun May 08, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Lafolie wrote:Apologies for the double post.

I spent a few hours coming up with a sort of concept song for the game. Not sure whether I like it or not. It's no-where near finished, it needs mixing, the synths need some more work, there's layers yet to be recorded (such a guitar part) and I wanna use some samples too.

But um.... yeah, it gives an overview of the musical style it's heading towards? I didn't do any sound effects yet though. And of course this is the just the first of a few songs I'll do for the game. Perhaps this one won't even be used, I'm not sure whether it's good enough. We'll see how it turns out.

I hacked the song into the game anyway. It's basic but it's in there.
commies.love
Ooooh I really like the direction that's going in. I wish I could give some suggestions with examples but I can't think of any . :|

EDIT: Perhaps something at a faster pace would be more fitting?