Commies!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Commies!

Post by Lafolie »

Yeah, I agree. It's a little slow because I've recently gotten into producing "dub" music, so I guess a little bit of that leaked through, hehe.

I have ideas for other tracks, don't worry. I might not even commit this track to the final OST, but we'll see how it turns out before making any decisions eh? My plans are to write between 3-5 tracks that could be played in a 'shuffled' playlist. Also, I'm considering creating a layer in each track that will only be played if an upgrade is picked up.... like the Yoshi percussion layer in Super Mario World. Easy to implement: just have the 'main' song and the 'extra' layer playing, but set the volume to the extra part to 0 and raise it up while the upgrade it in effect.

And of course there will be extra tracks for the main menu/game over. Maybe I should write a motif to use... I dunno, I was thinking of doing something more ambient for the title screen.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

I really like the idea of having a track for some of the powerups, thats a pretty good idea! I'm probably going to have to rewrite the audio system to compensate for more than track but that isn't a big deal. I also like the idea of having a shuffler for the music. Perhaps I could even allow the player to choose what track he/she wants as well as having controls for playing/pausing the music.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Maybe! Playing the game a few times, I have a bunch of suggestions:
  • Add an options menu.
  • Add a checklist for the music files allowed to be added to the shuffle playlist.
  • Add an option to toggle all audio on/off.
  • Not so important, but could be a nice touch: When the game begins or the track changes, draw some of that fading text somewhere showing the name and duration of the track (and possibly the artist? my name :P)
  • Implement changeable scroll sensitivity. It's hard to select a specific bomb on my laptop. Playing with a trackpad isn't a good idea, but I'd be much better if I could scroll between the bombs.
  • Add a MOAB powerup! Just for fun. Or Tsar Bomba, though that has the connotation of being used by the Soviet Union, not against them.
  • If you pause the game and quit to menu, you can see some of the little square particle trails. This looks cool. You should generate those randomly along the bottom and make the title screen more interesting. You could even reuse the enemy generation code and not display the hammer & sickle sprite.
  • Add me to the credits under Sound Design :P (Refer to me as Dale James please)
I mentioned twice including my name as a part of the screen output. I guess I am trying to sell myself a little, but I don't mean to be pushy. Obviously I would like to be on the credits. As for the "Track Name - Artist (MM:SS)" thing... it's just a standard way of displaying a song title. Plus, you know how players can get with video game OSTs.

Those are my suggestions anyway.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Lafolie wrote: If you pause the game and quit to menu, you can see some of the little square particle trails. This looks cool. You should generate those randomly along the bottom and make the title screen more interesting. You could even reuse the enemy generation code and not display the hammer & sickle sprite.
Wait, what? You can pause? Can you quit as well?
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

bartbes wrote: Wait, what? You can pause? Can you quit as well?
I found out through looking at the source. You press "p" in-game. I pointed this fact out straight away. You should read up when posting in small threads whose contents take no time to read :P hahaha (don't take that offensively :))

EDIT: I am a hypocrite! You posted just after I mentioned it. To hell with it, you should read the post above you at least :rofl:
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

Lafolie wrote:Maybe! Playing the game a few times, I have a bunch of suggestions:
  • Add an options menu.
  • Add a checklist for the music files allowed to be added to the shuffle playlist.
  • Add an option to toggle all audio on/off.
  • Not so important, but could be a nice touch: When the game begins or the track changes, draw some of that fading text somewhere showing the name and duration of the track (and possibly the artist? my name :P)
  • Implement changeable scroll sensitivity. It's hard to select a specific bomb on my laptop. Playing with a trackpad isn't a good idea, but I'd be much better if I could scroll between the bombs.
  • Add a MOAB powerup! Just for fun. Or Tsar Bomba, though that has the connotation of being used by the Soviet Union, not against them.
  • If you pause the game and quit to menu, you can see some of the little square particle trails. This looks cool. You should generate those randomly along the bottom and make the title screen more interesting. You could even reuse the enemy generation code and not display the hammer & sickle sprite.
  • Add me to the credits under Sound Design :P (Refer to me as Dale James please)
I mentioned twice including my name as a part of the screen output. I guess I am trying to sell myself a little, but I don't mean to be pushy. Obviously I would like to be on the credits. As for the "Track Name - Artist (MM:SS)" thing... it's just a standard way of displaying a song title. Plus, you know how players can get with video game OSTs.

Those are my suggestions anyway.
Excellent suggestions! Working on some now. Oh and don't worry, you'll be in the credits. Might even make a new intro screen to list all major contributors.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Lafolie wrote: I found out through looking at the source. You press "p" in-game. I pointed this fact out straight away. You should read up when posting in small threads whose contents take no time to read :P hahaha (don't take that offensively :))
I read everything, and, I reread it all this time, can't find it. (Well, you mentioned there was some pausing in the code, you never mentioned it was bound to a key or anything.) Not just that, I remember I mashed all buttons, including p, to no avail.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

bartbes wrote:
Lafolie wrote: I found out through looking at the source. You press "p" in-game. I pointed this fact out straight away. You should read up when posting in small threads whose contents take no time to read :P hahaha (don't take that offensively :))
I read everything, and, I reread it all this time, can't find it. (Well, you mentioned there was some pausing in the code, you never mentioned it was bound to a key or anything.) Not just that, I remember I mashed all buttons, including p, to no avail.
So what exactly were you reading? Here is what I read in main.lua:

Code: Select all

function love.keypressed(key, unicode)

-- debug variable
  local debug = game.configurations["debug"]

-- pause the game
  if key == "p" then
    if game.active == true then
      game.utilities.pause()
    end
  end

-- return to the main menu
  if key == "escape" then
    if game.paused == true then
      game.utilities.quit()
    end

end

-- quit the game
  if key == "q" then
    if game.paused == true then
      love.event.push("q")
    end
  end
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I read this topic..
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

bartbes wrote:I read this topic..
Oh, I see. "Everything" means the forum thread, not the source code as I assumed ;)
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples